Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

RichCanada

Aug 29, 2015, 12:59 PM

Post #1 of 10 (6296 views)

Shortcut

Help with buying auto insurance for a car I just purchased here in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
I purchased a car here in Mexico and want to insure it. I have checked companies online but it seems the application is geared towards insuring a car that is from outside the country. Any information someone might have is much appreciated! Thanks.

rvgringo

Aug 29, 2015, 3:28 PM

Post #2 of 10 (6288 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RichCanada] Help with buying auto insurance for a car I just purchased here in Mexico

Search the Mexican insurance companies, in Spanish and specify your area. AXA Seguros is a good one, for example.

DigYourself

Aug 30, 2015, 8:32 AM

Post #3 of 10 (6268 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RichCanada] Help with buying auto insurance for a car I just purchased here in Mexico

Can't Post |
Last year we had Qualitas which was good coverage and cheaper than the previous year which might have been AXA. This year we purchased our insurance through Banamex. It is written by GNP. It is better and cheaper than the policy we had with Qualitas. fwiw - we purchased the policy at the local branch. When we later met with our rep at Banamex Patrimonial she said we should have purchased auto ins through her since they throw in even more coverage for free.

fordmexico

Aug 30, 2015, 7:48 PM

Post #4 of 10 (6245 views)

Shortcut

Santander Bank has the autocompara.com site that allows you to do quick comparisons from all the major auto insurers in Mexico (AXA, Qualitas, AIG, GNP, Zurich, etc.) in just a few minutes. No need to be a Santander customer to utilize the comparisons. Once you see the different quotes you can go to a particular insurer's site or if you prefer deal with its agent.

https://www.autocompara.com/ExpressoAutoCompara/index.htm

RichCanada

Sep 1, 2015, 7:08 AM

Post #5 of 10 (6214 views)

Shortcut

Update: Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to provide me some great information. I'm running into a challenge because I am only here on a 6 month visitor visa and all the insurance companies want me to provide some kind of proof of residence as in a TelMex bill, water bill (I don't own property) etc with my name on it. Providing a friend's bill of where I am staying is not enough, it must be in my name or that seems to be what they say. Any suggestions? Thanks.

chinagringo

Sep 1, 2015, 7:20 AM

Post #6 of 10 (6211 views)

Shortcut

How about dummying up a lease on your friend's place. I have read that leases are sometimes accepted as proof.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

DigYourself

Sep 1, 2015, 11:07 AM

Post #7 of 10 (6199 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
We rented the first year we were here, yet had bank accounts and auto insurance. CFE always remained in the owner's name BUT the Telmex account was in our name.

Edit : but we did have permanent resident visas... I think it makes sense that the Telmex account would be in your name. Who you call etc is no one's business but your own - right ?

Edit Edit : ok guess I'm a little slow today. Your are living with a friend - and piggy-backing on all of his accounts. If that is so maybe you can open your own TelCel account - or Iusacell ?

(This post was edited by cuerna1 on Sep 1, 2015, 11:33 AM)

rvgringo

Sep 1, 2015, 12:04 PM

Post #8 of 10 (6191 views)

Shortcut

You, and perhaps your friend, may go to the Palacio Municipal and request a “comprobante de domicilio“ which should be acceptable to your insurance company. How did you register the car with just a tourist permit, or is that something yet to be attempted?

RichCanada

Sep 2, 2015, 7:07 AM

Post #9 of 10 (6166 views)

Shortcut

Hi everybody, thanks for the help! A little update, I am off to the Finance Office again, hopefully to change the licence plates. I went there originally with a friend and they told me I needed something with my address. After work, another friend went there and it was closed but he knocked on the door and someone answered! He spoke with someone and they said to come back today (Weds) and to see the manager and he will help me so we will see what happens today. Yesterday my friend called and told me to go to Qualitas Insurance and speak with a guy who has very good English. A little bit about where I live, Huauchinango is about 70,000 residents, all Mexican, and there's basically me. And I am trying hard to get my Spanish up to speed and here it is basically 99.99% Spanish, no English, zero, nada... Anyways, so I get there and nobody speaks English and I can't relate my needs in Spanish. Finally I show them the name of the person I am to meet and they say ok, please sit. I sit and wait 30 minutes, nobody says anything. Finally I had to go because of another meeting. I text my friend later and he said "Oh". I ask if I should go back and he tells me yes. I go back and an awesome guy, Jesus speaks English is very helpful. Ten minutes, 5,300 pesos and I have full insurance. Pay half in the next two weeks and the other half in six months. Maybe a bit more expensive than some online quotes but at least I have insurance. If I lock my keys in the car, if I break down, if I run out of gas, full theft, collision, under insured etc. Now off to the Finance Office. Stay tuned...

La Isla

Sep 2, 2015, 8:37 AM

Post #10 of 10 (6160 views)

Shortcut

Hi Rich,

My post has nothing to do with buying auto insurance, since I haven't owned a car (or driven one) since 1970! I just wanted to congratulate on having an adventurous spirit and moving to a place like Huauchinango, where you are the token expat, especially given the fact that your Spanish is not yet fluent. Might I ask how you ended up there? Just a curious questions from a fellow expat.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4