Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

playaboy

Sep 1, 2015, 6:12 PM

Post #1 of 22 (15991 views)

Shortcut

Looking for Illegal workers

Can't Post | Private Reply
INM has started to inspect businesses for illegal workers in Playa del Carmen again. If they find them, they deport them.

http://www.riviera-maya-news.com/...al-workers/2015.html

cbviajero

Sep 1, 2015, 7:10 PM

Post #2 of 22 (15981 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Looking for Illegal workers

Coming from Los Angeles where there are probably a million or more undocumented workers from Mexico I have mixed feelings about the INM cracking down on undocumented workers here.
Just my two centavos..

playaboy

Sep 1, 2015, 7:22 PM

Post #3 of 22 (15978 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Looking for Illegal workers

Why do you have a problem? The article didn't state that they were busting USA citizens. They were finding Russians, Israelis, and others.

This area is a "destination" attracting people from all over the world.

cbviajero

Sep 1, 2015, 7:40 PM

Post #4 of 22 (15976 views)

Shortcut

I read the article.
Are you saying that US citizens without proper work permits aren't subject to the same laws as citizens of other countries?
BTW,I have no problem with the million or so undocumented Mexican workers in LA,I just find it a little hypocritical for Mexican government to round up undocumented foreign workers while they whine about the immigration policies of the US...

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Sep 1, 2015, 10:59 PM)

playaboy

Sep 2, 2015, 4:53 AM

Post #5 of 22 (15954 views)

Shortcut

I am saying that USA citizens are not the largest violators of working without papers in this area. If the USA can deport illegal migrants so can Mexico and they do.

chinagringo

Sep 2, 2015, 7:28 AM

Post #6 of 22 (15935 views)

Shortcut

Maybe true in the case of illegal workers but a few years back the Mexican Government stated that the largest group of illegals living in Mexico were from the US. Have no clue how they came to this conclusion or if it was simply a "political game" to muddy the immigration discussions in the US?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

cbviajero

Sep 2, 2015, 8:24 AM

Post #7 of 22 (15927 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I am saying that USA citizens are not the largest violators of working without papers in this area.

Maybe not in that area,but the INM could probably have a field day rounding up US citizens working without papers selling time shares in Puerto Vallarta and real estate at Lakeside..:)

YucaLandia

Sep 5, 2015, 1:40 PM

Post #8 of 22 (15864 views)

Shortcut

There have been similar recent INM sweeps here on our Gulf north-coast of Yucatan, but the focus has been on Canadians & Americans working and running businesses illegally.

We have a small number of Cuban illegals, and even smaller numbers of Belizean illegals, with Canadians and US citizens as the clear majority of foreigners working illegally and running businesses illegally.

So far, INM has treated them fairly gently, assessing fines and forcing them to become legal - with no deportations. One couple caught in the last (prior) sweep had their little restaurant closed for about 4 months, which ultimately reopened, so the Mex. Gob. actions have not even come close to US Govt. actions.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Sep 5, 2015, 1:41 PM)

YucaLandia

Sep 5, 2015, 1:46 PM

Post #9 of 22 (15859 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I read the article.
Are you saying that US citizens without proper work permits aren't subject to the same laws as citizens of other countries?
BTW,I have no problem with the million or so undocumented Mexican workers in LA,I just find it a little hypocritical for Mexican government to round up undocumented foreign workers while they whine about the immigration policies of the US...

It's not clear to me what illegal workers in LA and US immigration policies have to do with dialogues and analysis of Mexican government sweeps for illegal workers Mexico's Sureste, or even Southern Mexico ... as a part of a discussion of the what's happening in the Southern Forum of Mexico.

Still, the "hypocrisy" accusation doesn't seem to fit even the key nationwide data, let alone a Sureste dialogue or Southern Mexico Forum dialogue.

... misplaced criticisms .... ?

The Mexican government is treating illegal American workers in Yucatan state far better than the US govt. has treated illegal workers in the USA.

======================

Changing Topics .... ??? which moderators can feel free to move to the national forums ....

Considering the National Realities of comparing Mexican illegals in the USA vs. US working illegals in Mexico:

First, consider the $$ paid by illegal workers in each country:
In 2014, Stephen Goss, the chief actuary of the Social Security Administration (SSA), reported that illegal workers in the USA are paying an estimated $13 billion a year in social security taxes and only getting around $1 billion back.

Then add in state and local taxes collected on illegals working in the USA: A 2015 report of a 50-state analysis by the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy found that roughly 8.1 million (of 11.4 million total) undocumented immigrants working illegally in the USA, paid more than $11.8 billion in state and local taxes in 2012.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/study-finds-illegal-immigrants-pay-221800279.html

Most US employees have roughly $2 of Federal taxes withheld for every $1 of State & local taxes withheld, which points to another $20 billion a year paid by illegals as US Federal income taxes.

Comparing what the illegals pay in each country: I cannot imagine that Americans working illegally and illegally running businesses in Mexico are paying an extra $44 billion USD ($748 billion pesos) in taxes without benefits, annually donated to the Mexican treasury.

8 million foreigners working illegally in the USA, each pay an average of $5,500 USD in State, Federal, Local and Social security taxes.

Should there be equal treatment - to avoid "hypocrisy" ?

Should we believe that Americans working illegally in Mexico are each paying the equivalent of what illegal Mexicans surrender annually: ... $93,500 pesos in taxes per illegal American worker ... donated to the Mexican govt?
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Sep 5, 2015, 5:26 PM)

playaboy

Sep 5, 2015, 3:21 PM

Post #10 of 22 (15843 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Looking for Illegal workers

INM is stepping up enforcement in many areas. Check out this article.

http://www.latimes.com/...-20150905-story.html
INM at the San Ysidro crossing to TJ is implementing now procedures for entering MX.

As an RT or RP, INM requires us to checkout of the country and is stepping up enforcement. I personally know someone that lost their RP for not checking out.

INM has been manning checkpoints on major highways checking people status. I have been stopped a couple of times lately and asked for my visa by INM.

Yuca, In this age of computers, I am sure INM keeps statistic on everything. Do you know how many people Mexico deports a year? What the breakdown in nationalities are? I checked on their website but my Spanish is not as good as yours.

Yuca, my thread so here is a request, let the topic wonder outside of the southern area of Mexico. This subject can be all of Mexico.

mcm

Sep 5, 2015, 7:28 PM

Post #11 of 22 (15823 views)

Shortcut

Playaboy -- I found a May 2015 article from Milenio, which cites numbers from INM:
In the first bimester of 2014, Mexico deported 13 thousand plus migrants, compared to the first bimester of 2015, where 25,000 plus migrants were deported. Most of these were people from Central America. The increase in 2015 is attributed to pressure from the US on Mexico to tighten its southern border, and tighten enforcement of migration laws.

Another, older, article from La Opinion reports 75,000 deportations in 2012, of which 98% were from Central America, 606 from the US, 483 from Ecuador, and 310 from Cuba. Yearly numbers have been increasing, especially in 2015 (as indicated by the comparison of Jan-Feb deportations between 2014 and 2015).

Bottom line seems to be that immigration enforcement in Mexico focuses on southern border states (Chiapas being a main focus), with sweeps of other areas being much smaller scale. I know that here in Mérida there are occasional newspaper reports of immigration checks at businesses such as nightclubs, which employ undocumented folks from a variety of countries (mostly Spanish-speaking).

cbviajero

Sep 5, 2015, 8:11 PM

Post #12 of 22 (15820 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Looking for Illegal workers

A little off topic but it's worth noting that in the US undocumented immigrants aren't robbed,raped,kidnapped and murdered like they are here in Mexico,on their journey to the"Sueno Americano"by crooked government officials,cops and other bad guys,it might happen but not on the same scale.
"Salimos de Guatemala para caer en Guatepeor"....

playaboy

Sep 6, 2015, 6:22 AM

Post #13 of 22 (15800 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mcm] Looking for Illegal workers

MCM, thanks for the links. That's exactly what I was looking for.

It is not surprising that 98% of the illegals are from CA. I believe a large percentage of CA immigrants are not trying to reach the USA but are grateful and happy to live in MX. Mexico economy, wages, security, is so much better than what they had. Friends from Belize would love to be able to legally live in MX.

cbviajero

Sep 6, 2015, 7:12 AM

Post #14 of 22 (15796 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I believe a large percentage of CA immigrants are not trying to reach the USA but are grateful and happy to live in MX

Most CA immigrants are just passing thru Mexico on their way to the US.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Sep 6, 2015, 7:25 AM)

playaboy

Sep 6, 2015, 8:30 AM

Post #15 of 22 (15778 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
I believe a large percentage of CA immigrants are not trying to reach the USA but are grateful and happy to live in MX

Most CA immigrants are just passing thru Mexico on their way to the US.

Correct, the vast majority of people from CA are just migrating to the USA. Would you consider that 20% of those migrating stop, planned or not planned, in Mexico and become illegal immigrants?

skier14

Sep 6, 2015, 8:35 AM

Post #16 of 22 (15778 views)

Shortcut

In the past three years I have left Mexico 8 times on foot with my RP via the San Ysidro crossing. I have asked several of these times at various INM stations for check-out proceedures and have been told to just go if I am returning to Mexico at Tijuana. One time at the new by foot border entrance to Mexico, INM wanted me to sign the same form that I used to use before I had my RP. When I hesitated he told me to just go. I will be going again Sept 14th. Does anybody have additional information how to check-out?

cbviajero

Sep 6, 2015, 9:15 AM

Post #17 of 22 (15773 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Correct, the vast majority of people from CA are just migrating to the USA. Would you consider that 20% of those migrating stop, planned or not planned, in Mexico and become illegal immigrants?

Yes I would.

AlanMexicali

Sep 6, 2015, 9:34 AM

Post #18 of 22 (15768 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Looking for Illegal workers

In Reply To
In the past three years I have left Mexico 8 times on foot with my RP via the San Ysidro crossing. I have asked several of these times at various INM stations for check-out proceedures and have been told to just go if I am returning to Mexico at Tijuana. One time at the new by foot border entrance to Mexico, INM wanted me to sign the same form that I used to use before I had my RP. When I hesitated he told me to just go. I will be going again Sept 14th. Does anybody have additional information how to check-out?

There is a band new Mexican Customs and Immigration building in Mexico at the same foot crossing behind the McDonalds. You have to go in the out door of this building when leaving Mexico, show them your RT card, fill out the FMM form, they keep the half they need and when you return by foot enter the "Foreigners" line where an INM officer will be and give him/her your half while showing them your RT card. Very easy now. I use my passport card if they ask, which they haven´t yet just my RT card and they can´t stamp it out or in.

If you have a book passport and they ask for it they might stamp it then you will have all sorts of in and out stamps if your cross there many times per year. Some Baja forums posters have stated now at this building they are asking for passports for everyone in the "Foreigners" line and sometimes stamping them in.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Sep 6, 2015, 9:35 AM)

La Isla

Sep 6, 2015, 11:02 AM

Post #19 of 22 (15756 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Looking for Illegal workers

Never having crossed the border on foot (I always leave and enter by plane), I don't understand why up to now the procedures have been so lax at land crossings. Just wondering . . .

AlanMexicali

Sep 6, 2015, 1:19 PM

Post #20 of 22 (15747 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Looking for Illegal workers

In Reply To
Never having crossed the border on foot (I always leave and enter by plane), I don't understand why up to now the procedures have been so lax at land crossings. Just wondering . . .

They want to have you in Mexican border cities in minutes with no line up, 1 to 3 minutes to cross, because the American border cities don´t want you there without a 1/2 hour to 5 hour lineup to cross ... just to be contrary.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Sep 6, 2015, 1:20 PM)

skier14

Sep 6, 2015, 8:12 PM

Post #21 of 22 (15717 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Looking for Illegal workers

Is this building the one accessable from Mexico going up the stairs at the waiting line white gate and fence to enter USA? When I return to Mexico I use the bus from SAn Diego to San Ysidro to Tijuana airport. I suppose I turn in the half of the FMM there?

playaboy

Sep 7, 2015, 7:31 AM

Post #22 of 22 (15697 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Looking for Illegal workers

In Reply To

I cross the border frequently, walking, driving, and flying. In the last 2 years I have used 11 different land crossings (including both TJ crossings) and 3 airports for international flights. I have found that INM officers at different border crossings do not follow the same procedures regarding checking out or returning to Mexico for residente's.

That makes me nervous, a bureaucrat screwing up and me paying the price.

Here is what I do to protect myself at land crossings. I always have a supply of blank FMM's on hand. When leaving MX ,I have my FMM form completed when I approach INM. I write "residente perm" on the top of both halfs. On the top half of the form make sure in box 9 you check "otro/other". When I approach the officer I hand him my passport, RP card, and the completed form telling him/her "para salida" Sometimes they tell me it is not necessary to process. I tell them I am returning to Mexico by "air". When they hear that they always process the FMM. I ask the officer to stamp the back of the FMM form. Keep the top half.

Remember if you check out of Mexico you must check back in.

(This post was edited by playaboy on Sep 7, 2015, 10:31 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4