Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

chinagringo

Aug 30, 2015, 10:47 AM

Post #1 of 13 (16165 views)

Shortcut

Experience in Mexico with Fire TV Stick or Chromecast?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Any experience or comments about using either of these devices in Mexico? Certainly not all that concerned for a short trip because we have little interest in slowing down long enough to watch TV. But down the road, when planning for trips of 2 or 3 months in length - we would like to have our "ducks in order".
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

jwp_007

Aug 31, 2015, 1:12 PM

Post #2 of 13 (16139 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Experience in Mexico with Fire TV Stick or Chromecast?

I currently use a chromecast device in Mexico to stream Netflix to a HDTV set.
It works jut fine for me. Basic requirements are a wireless network, tv with an HDMI port and a computer / tablet / phone with the chromecast app installed.

chinagringo

Aug 31, 2015, 1:17 PM

Post #3 of 13 (16138 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwp_007] Experience in Mexico with Fire TV Stick or Chromecast?

Do you route through a VPN to disguise your location?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

YucaLandia

Sep 1, 2015, 8:30 AM

Post #4 of 13 (16118 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Any experience or comments about using either of these devices in Mexico? Certainly not all that concerned for a short trip because we have little interest in slowing down long enough to watch TV. But down the road, when planning for trips of 2 or 3 months in length - we would like to have our "ducks in order".

Since you aren't in Mexico, and don't know how these things work in Mexico, when you do come to visit
you'll find that US-only channels like Crackle, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video et al are not available on the Amazon Fire TV Stick in Mexico.

Some channels like Netflix (USA) do work here without VPN , but they identify your IP and shift you to Netflix (Mex.) programming with a smaller selection of movies & series.

As full time residents of Mexico, we've found that previous advice about VPNs posted in on Mexican forums don't fit the current realities of US TV service vendors.

The US vendors (like Hulu) appear to be signing up for their own VPN accounts with the pirates, which allows the US vendors to quickly identify the fake IPs that the VPNs use, and block them, even when the pirates rotate or create fresh blocks of fake IPs.

As full time residents of Mexico for the last 10 years, we've found that the legal routes, like Slingbox and USTVnow.com (for us) and Shaw (for friends) are the most reliable providers of American TV here in Mexico.

Since you are only coming to Mexico infrequently, and for only short times,
... and planning to watch TV streamed over the internet, why not consider USTVNOW.com 's service?

They have completely free accounts to people with international (non-US) IP's, that provide excellent HD TV for the first 45 days. No VPNs and no speed loss.

After 45 days, you can watch 6 channels of American TV (NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS, ABC, CW) for free in Standard Def.
About 30 channels of US's top stations in HD are also available from USTVNOW.com for about $25 a month.

Since you will only be in Mexico for very short times,
the USTVNOW.com legal free service may be your best option,
or just pay $25 for HD service when you want it.

If you travel a lot, legal Slingbox may be a better option to watch all the TV from your home service in the USA.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Sep 1, 2015, 9:24 AM)

jwp_007

Sep 1, 2015, 9:53 AM

Post #5 of 13 (16103 views)

Shortcut

I usually watch Netflix - Mexico which meets most of my needs. I sometimes use the Hola vpn extension to stream Netflix USA and Amazon prime video. Testing the Hola vpn via Speedtest (OOKLA) shows only a 3-5% reduction in download speed. I live in technology backwater area of Mexico where 5 mbps download is rarely attainable, but have no issues streaming video via Netflix or Amazon.

chinagringo

Sep 1, 2015, 6:10 PM

Post #6 of 13 (16079 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwp_007] Experience in Mexico with Fire TV Stick or Chromecast?

Thank you for the helpful firsthand info! Just trying to figure out our options for our planned post-retirement longer trips by doing some experimenting on our much shorter upcoming vacation trip. Then again, about the time I think I have it figured out technology will take quantum leaps and my ideas will be obsolete. HA! HA!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by chinagringo on Sep 1, 2015, 6:12 PM)

johanson / Moderator

Sep 2, 2015, 2:43 PM

Post #7 of 13 (16058 views)

Shortcut

I'm glad others were able to answer your questions, Neil.. I'm great at streaming audio (FM stations) via the internet, using a VPN when necessary. But when it comes to TV, I'm an old fashioned satellite system guy who uses a 2.4 meter dish for DirecTV, etc.
Yes, I occasionally use my Telcel account to stream data to my iPhone, but I find it much cheaper to do so to my phone or laptop via WiFi from my favorite restaurant, or from my Telmex DSL wifi connection.

chinagringo

Sep 2, 2015, 7:43 PM

Post #8 of 13 (16043 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Experience in Mexico with Fire TV Stick or Chromecast?

Thanks Pete! A number of things I plan to try this trip take into account the fact that we will be visiting about ten different towns and cities and driving about 2000 miles over 12 days. Since our post retirement plans involve staying in various areas of Mexico for 2 to 4 weeks at a time and then mving on - I am just trying to assertain just what our various options are. No question that WIFI is a viable option when grounded in one place but I have become very use to being able to access the Internet while on the move in a vehicle. TV entertainment on this trip will not be a big deal but I do enjoy knowing just what our options are.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Judy in Ags

Jun 17, 2016, 4:25 PM

Post #9 of 13 (13843 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Experience in Mexico with Fire TV Stick or Chromecast?

Hi, I'm wondering if you are still using USTVnow and how it is working for you. If you still are using it, could you tell me if you have the DVR feature, and how that works out for you.

Our internet sales person (Enlace TB) is telling us about ROKU, but I don't believe they have a provision for recording.

One other question, do you have more than one TV and if so, please tell us how you approach that.

Thanks SO much!

hodamayo

Jun 18, 2016, 5:47 AM

Post #10 of 13 (13828 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Experience in Mexico with Fire TV Stick or Chromecast?

Fire stick and Roku are being out done here in Quintana roo. I am still doing US Dish Network down here, but have found another viable option for TV streaming. I use and sell a new Android TV box which has an Emulator on it using KODI, this allows you to be able to watch just about anything the world has to offer. The Emu consist of US Dish Network, Dish Latino, SKY Mexico, and Bell Express Canada. All PPVs are open in English and Spanish. First run movies and so much more. I sell these boxes for $500 usd and can ship them anywhere in Mexico. This includes a 1 year subscription of the Emulator. Yes these have the PVR function providing you use a SD card. I recommend a bandwidth of at least 10 Mbps. It works best when connected to a LAN, but will work wireless as well. Best thing on the market right now.
Mike Mayo
hodamayo@hotmail.com
998 147 2532 Telcel
832 861 5106 Vonage
Facebook.USsatelliteTV.com

(This post was edited by johanson on Jun 18, 2016, 2:15 PM)

Judy in Ags

Jun 18, 2016, 10:49 AM

Post #11 of 13 (13816 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hodamayo] Experience in Mexico with Fire TV Stick or Chromecast?

Thanks, Mike. We're still investigating all possibilities. What is the annual or months subscription cost?

I must ask (at the risk of being tagged a radical conservative), is Fox New Channel available on this plan? That's a must for us.

Thanks again.

johanson / Moderator

Jun 18, 2016, 11:26 AM

Post #12 of 13 (13812 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hodamayo] Experience in Mexico with Fire TV Stick or Chromecast?

Darn: You say at least 10 Mb/sec down. Although Telmex used to give me 10 Mb/sec now I'm lucky to get 5 Mb/sec. these days.
Oh well, I get a great signal on Shaw Direct.
I'm curious though, once you have this Android box what are the monthly costs?

(This post was edited by johanson on Jun 18, 2016, 2:16 PM)

hodamayo

Jun 18, 2016, 11:33 AM

Post #13 of 13 (13807 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Experience in Mexico with Fire TV Stick or Chromecast?

I am not aware of a new FOX channel, but if it is on DN it will be there.
Mike Mayo
hodamayo@hotmail.com
998 147 2532 Telcel
832 861 5106 Vonage
Facebook.USsatelliteTV.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4