Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

chinagringo

Aug 28, 2015, 6:46 AM

Post #1 of 7 (9837 views)

Shortcut

Mexico GSM Sim Card for Data?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Won't go into all the extensive details but I have a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S5 phone and a Sprint Galaxy Tab S tablet. Our intent in purchasing the Tab S was to be able to use it in the car while traveling the cuotas and highways where WIFI isn't available. We were sold the tablet with the promise that we could use Mexico Sim cards when out of the country. Now Sprint claims they cannot unlock the tablet but in reality are refusing to unlock. So a company tech came up with an alternative by getting them to unlock the S5 smartphone so I could use a Mexico Sim card. Plan is to use the S5 as a hotspot for the tablet through a WIFI connection between the two units.

So my questions:
1) Do any of the companies offer a data only Sim card? Note: only plan on inserting the Sim card while traveling the highways, so don't care about not receiving calls.
2) Does anyone have direct knowledge if any of the Mexican carriers restrict tethering between units?
3) I am going to guess that TELCEL may be my best option because of large coverage areas but will certainly consider other options?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

johanson / Moderator

Aug 28, 2015, 12:54 PM

Post #2 of 7 (9826 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Mexico GSM Sim Card for Data?

Yes there are Telcel plans that charge by what you use the device for. I have a plan where I pay $0.98 pesos per either one minute of cell phone time, per one text message or per MB of information downloaded.
I can pay as little as 100 pesos for up to two months, but average about $300 pesos per month.
I bet there are other plans out there that would better serve you. I hope someone else with more knowledge than I could pitch in here with a better alternative.
I don't know about tethering.

(This post was edited by johanson on Aug 28, 2015, 12:57 PM)

RickS

Aug 28, 2015, 2:42 PM

Post #3 of 7 (9816 views)

Shortcut

According to the Telcel webpage.... http://www.mrsimcard.com/mexico/s-telcel.html

Telcel Winter Escape Sim The Mexico "Winter Escape" Telcel Amigo sim comes with $5 loaded to the sim for outgoing calls to any number in Mexico/US/Canada or internationally, unlimited free incoming calls and text messages from anywhere. This sim also includes 1, 1.5, or 3 Gig or of data for use in Mexico. Data speed is 4G/LTE and tethering / Hotspot is allowed. This is our most popular Mexico Sim.
There is no contract, no credit check.

Telcel "Winter Escape" 7 Day Sim with 1GB data and $5 for calls - $59.99 -BUY NOW!

Telcel "Winter Escape" 15 Day Sim with 1.5GB data and $5 for calls - $69.99 -BUY NOW!

Telcel "Winter Escape" 30 Day Sim with 3GB data and $5 for calls - $79.99 -BUY NOW!

(This post was edited by RickS on Aug 28, 2015, 2:45 PM)

chinagringo

Aug 28, 2015, 6:59 PM

Post #4 of 7 (9806 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Mexico GSM Sim Card for Data?

Thanks Rick!

I attempted to dive into the Telcel web site directly using a translator but wasn't confident that translations were accurate. I apparently found the same plan direct through Telcel: 15 days that includes 1.5 GB of data for $249.00MXN or another 15 day plan with 1 GB of data for $229.00MXN. At any rate, these plans are certainly reasonable! Since this is strictly a workaround for our tablet to be tethered and used while traveling in our car, I have not interest in making or receiving calls. And a majority of our Internet use on the tablet will be through WIFI at the hotel.

If I leave the Sprint Sim card in the S5 - our Mexico plan gives us unlimited text, unlimited data (but throttled to 2G Speeds) and 20 cents US per minute for calls. The big zinger is that if the tablet is tethered to the S5, it doesn't get the above mentioned rate but rather a much higher data rate that deposits directly into Fort Knox.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

fordmexico

Aug 29, 2015, 10:25 AM

Post #5 of 7 (9781 views)

Shortcut

Keep in mind that Sprint utilizes CDMA technology for its networks while Telcel and Movistar in Mexico utilize GSM technology for their networks. Unless your device supports GSM (allows for a SIM chip/card) it will not be able to access either Telcel or Movistar. IUSASCELL has transitioned to GSM as well but still may have some remnants of its CDMA network.

Here is a link to see if your particular Sprint device can be used for roaming in Mexico.

http://internationalroaming.sprint.com/IntlCoverage/SearchCountry.do

Hopefully, your device will also include the GSM radio and appropriate bands/frequencies for use in Mexico. As an aside, CDMA technology is primarily used in the USA and Japan.

As far as unlocking,Spint and/or Verizon CDMA phones are not unlocked like a GSM device from ATT or T-Moble. For more on the differences between GSM and CDMA and unlocking, click on the link.

http://support.mobileunlocked.com/hc/en-us/articles/200242463-Differences-between-unlocked-GSM-and-CDMA-phones

chinagringo

Aug 29, 2015, 6:43 PM

Post #6 of 7 (9768 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fordmexico] Mexico GSM Sim Card for Data?

I recently upgraded from my Samsung S3 to the newer Samsung S5 so that I could connect with the GSM networks in Mexico (all in the settings) and be able to utilize a new roaming and data plan for Mexico. This new plan with Sprint is far more reasonable. But with respect to the Samsung Tab S, Sprint is claiming that it is CDMA only (which happens to be a total lie). I even had one Sprint International Rep tell me that CDMA was Mexico's primary network system and I suggested not so politely that he find a new profession with emphasis. This boils down to the fact that the new "unlocking laws" only apply to phones and not tablets and it is easier to lie than tell someone that Sprint is refusing to unlock the tablet.

I do know that one can purchase unlock codes for most any piece of equipment but before I jump the gun, I will inquire at a Telcel store.

Meanwhile, I have a solid work around to use the S5 as a hotspot to tether the Tab S to the Internet using a Telcel Sim card.

I now know or think I know more than I have ever wanted to about this subject!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

chinagringo

Aug 30, 2015, 2:58 PM

Post #7 of 7 (9752 views)

Shortcut

Now the plot thickens. I enrolled in the previously stated Mexico call, text and data plan less than two weeks ago but when working with a store tech the other day, he mentioned that there may be a better plan. Called today and sure enough, SPRINT has reacted to pressure from T-Mobile and AT&T. New plan called Open World Plan which offers the following for US, Mexico and Canada: unlimited free calls to/from any of these three countries, unlimited texts and 1GB of high speed data per month (data overages bill at $30 per GB). This plan costs nothing to add to your regular plan!

Still doesn't solve my tablet issue but sure makes using my Galaxy S5 painless!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4