Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

mriznyk

Aug 26, 2015, 1:00 PM

Post #1 of 6 (4524 views)

Shortcut

Permanent Resident Status Application

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife and I recently purchased property in Loreto, BCS. We are planning on living in Loreto full time on income from my current job (I will be working remotely and traveling). Can I (we) apply for a permanent residency card on my income alone even though I am not retired? I also would like to eventually apply for a work permit as well so we can start renting a piece of our property.

If yes, what is the process to bypass the temporary visa application and go straight for the permanent?

thanks!

rvgringo

Aug 26, 2015, 2:09 PM

Post #2 of 6 (4510 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mriznyk] Permanent Resident Status Application

If you have sufficient assets proven by bank statements, you may qualify for approval of either Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente visas. Your nearest Mexican consulate is the place to ask and to apply. There is no requirement for a temporary residence visa first, if you can afford permanent.

mriznyk

Aug 26, 2015, 2:19 PM

Post #3 of 6 (4508 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Permanent Resident Status Application

thanks!

DigYourself

Aug 26, 2015, 3:09 PM

Post #4 of 6 (4493 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
People are people.

When we visited the consulate we honestly did not realize there was a permanent versus temp option. I truly think we completed the paperwork, provided all the supporting docs - BUT - said to the interviewer, we LOVE Mexico and want to spend the rest of our days there. We have NO interest in returning to the US for anything but visits,

The guy took all our paperwork, went behind the curtain to (I suppose) present our case to the consular, told us to go to lunch and when we returned he had a big smile on his face and said - congrats you will be perm residents.

Show sincerity.

(This post was edited by cuerna1 on Aug 26, 2015, 3:32 PM)

Sunnyvmx

Aug 27, 2015, 3:27 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4447 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] Permanent Resident Status Application

The Permanent Resident visa includes the right to work permit.

(This post was edited by RickS on Aug 27, 2015, 7:21 AM)

mcm

Aug 27, 2015, 12:23 PM

Post #6 of 6 (4385 views)

Shortcut

In addition to the information about work permit above, keep in mind that to legally rent your property (to others), you need to register with SAT (the tax collection agency of Hacienda, which is the Treasury Department). I don't THINK that you need a work permit to rent property, just need to pay (Mexican) taxes on the income. But, of course, check with an attorney, or with SAT, to verify any information!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4