Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

chinagringo

Aug 26, 2015, 5:51 AM

Post #1 of 6 (5663 views)

Shortcut

Mexico Hotel Search and Booking Site

Can't Post | Private Reply
There is no such thing as one very best site for booking hotels in Mexico. However, after years of bouncing from one site to another looking for the assortment of hotels, good pricing and ease of navigation - I have settled on using booking.com for our reservation needs. Once one has been categorized as a prime or frequent user, they extend special discounts and notify you of special sales around the world. I recently learned a good lesson about paying attention to the special sale announcements when I found a better rate at a 5 star hotel we had booked in Queretaro to attend the 16th de Septiembre celebrations. I found that we could save a total of $90 for the two neight reservation and called in on their hot line. Took about a minute for them to change the reservation and confirm the new rate. That savings will pay for the special Fiesta Dinner that we have reservations for at the Restaurante 1810 located right on the Plaza Armas where the Governor of Queretaro does the traditional Grito starting the celebrations.

I am sure others have their own personal favorite sites but I throw this out here because it came up in a different thread and I didn't want to highjack that thread. As always, YMMV.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

AlanMexicali

Aug 26, 2015, 7:43 AM

Post #2 of 6 (5646 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Mexico Hotel Search and Booking Site

We have been using booking.com since 2010 in Mexico and save money and are satisfied except when staying in Mexico City as there are business hotels centerly located with small rooms for about $450.00 pesos per night by calling them directly. The second last time there in Dec. we stayed at a "Love Hotel" near our friendīs house, the Novo Hotel in Coapa which was $525.00 pesos per night and upscale. booking.com had it for $849.00. Our friend dropped by and asked for the rate the day before we arrived. The rates on the felt board behind the desk were cheap and also had rooms for 4 hours. Our room should have been $75.00 pesos more according to the posted rate but we asked for a discount because we were staying a few nights. The room was large and very nice.

http://www.booking.com/...;#hotel_1069637-back

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Aug 26, 2015, 8:02 AM)

chinagringo

Aug 26, 2015, 9:30 AM

Post #3 of 6 (5618 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Mexico Hotel Search and Booking Site

Good point Alan. And we to have called hotels directly to see if we can get a better rate that allows us to stay within our personal budget guidelines. Like most anyone, we have certain preferences that are important to us and certain dislikes which are deal killers. Not into a bunch of ammenities that hotels charge more for and we don't take advantage of since we are out and about all the time. Other than making sure a rate fits into our preferred price range, we rarely make our decisions on price since I prefer to view hotel costs as an average for an entire trip. In fact, for us to choose a 5 star like the La Casa de la Marquesa in Queretaro - the price would have to be quite sharp.

As to our upcoming trip, we are really liking the current exchange rates since it has not only lowered our hotel costs but also saved us almost $200USD for an eleven day auto rental that includes max auto insurance coverage through the rental agency!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

maryellen1952

Aug 26, 2015, 10:22 AM

Post #4 of 6 (5610 views)

Shortcut

I agree also. Just as with tourist info there is no one site better than others. If you are traveling with pets, you have to look at even more as I found no one site has every pet-friendly hotels listed. Many times I've found hotels/motels on individual travel blogs. I haven't been too impressed with booking.com for pet-friendly places.

AlanMexicali

Aug 26, 2015, 10:40 AM

Post #5 of 6 (5608 views)

Shortcut

We wanted to go to los canales de Xochimilco nearby and be close to our friendīs house. My wife had an appointment in the Polyforum area and a taxi took us there at 8am on a route that saw very little traffic congestion for $70.00 pesos and took 45 minutes. That is a long way away and right throught downtown. He knew how to avoid traffic and seemed the jams were on the other side of the blvds. going in the other direction. Also Primer Plus has a tiny bus station within walking distance to the hotel and it is 3 blocks from a new upscale Galerias 3 story indoor mall. We donīt drive to Mexico City as the no circulation rules prohibit it most times.

If you donīt sign into booking.com you donīt get the better discounted prices. We book our hotel rooms in Playa del Carmen, Zihuatanejo, Merida, Aguascalientes, San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato etc, off of their site. We used to book through the ISSSTE travel agency [federal govenment emplyees union] but it is cheaper from booking.com we found out. I have 2 brother in laws in Querétaro so donīt need a hotel room there.

AlanMexicali

Aug 26, 2015, 10:51 AM

Post #6 of 6 (5605 views)

Shortcut

Re: [maryellen1952] Mexico Hotel Search and Booking Site

In Reply To
I agree also. Just as with tourist info there is no one site better than others. If you are traveling with pets, you have to look at even more as I found no one site has every pet-friendly hotels listed. Many times I've found hotels/motels on individual travel blogs. I haven't been too impressed with booking.com for pet-friendly places.

I feel the reason hotels in particular donīt want dogs walking though their lobby to get to the elevators. especially a large dog, is because many Mexicans are afraid of dogs in general. They scare them. I suppose it is because many homeowners train their yard dogs to be vicious. I have often seen Mexican children cringe in fear when any dog approaches them.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Aug 26, 2015, 10:55 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4