Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

tagman787

Aug 25, 2015, 7:38 PM

Post #1 of 23 (9425 views)

Shortcut

Durango books in english

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife and I are in Durango and would like to find paperbacks in English. Any suggestions?

citlali

Aug 25, 2015, 8:07 PM

Post #2 of 23 (9419 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tagman787] Durango books in english

get a kindle.

YucaLandia

Aug 26, 2015, 6:38 AM

Post #3 of 23 (9386 views)

Shortcut

The Hostel there has a book exchange ... http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Durango-Travellers-Hostel/Durango/83972

Oddly, readers interested in maintaining our minds can note that research studies show reading physical books maintain the brain, stimulate memory, and help keep Alzheimers & dementia at bay - while Kindle reading sadly leads to much lower retention and minimal aid in stimulating brain health. ... The same issues happen for both young and old readers, where Kindles & computers (like TV) require only minimal brain activity. The Use it or Lose it principle shows Kindle-use gives much lowered learning and memory. Plus, some people enjoy books more.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by RickS on Aug 26, 2015, 6:48 AM)

cbviajero

Aug 26, 2015, 8:31 AM

Post #4 of 23 (9366 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Durango books in english

In Reply To

Oddly, readers interested in maintaining our minds can note that research studies show reading physical books maintain the brain, stimulate memory, and help keep Alzheimers & dementia at bay - while Kindle reading sadly leads to much lower retention and minimal aid in stimulating brain health. ... The same issues happen for both young and old readers, where Kindles & computers (like TV) require only minimal brain activity. The Use it or Lose it principle shows Kindle-use gives much lowered learning and memory. Plus, some people enjoy books more.

I live in Mexico's second largest city and there are very few options when it comes to finding a decent selection of books in English,with my Kindle and NoB library accounts I have free instant access to hundreds of thousands of books.
Yuca,why would reading a book on a Kindle be any less stimulating than reading the same book in paperback???

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Aug 26, 2015, 8:54 AM)

RickS

Aug 26, 2015, 9:11 AM

Post #5 of 23 (9348 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Durango books in english

...."much lower retention and minimal aid in stimulating brain health..."

This may be similar to a study done around the turn of the (other) century when it was said that driving a motor car had the same characteristics over driving a horse and buggy. ;>)

maryellen1952

Aug 26, 2015, 10:32 AM

Post #6 of 23 (9332 views)

Shortcut

I suppose it's better to read on a Kindle than not reading at all. According to the study, it was done on youngsters so I wonder if the results are different with people our ages?
I'm in the same predicament as others. I have access to an expat library with plenty of paperbacks but I know that will not always be the case wherever I travel in Mexico.

Here's the study:
www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/19/readers-absorb-less-kindles-paper-study-plot-ereader-digitisation

cbviajero

Aug 26, 2015, 12:47 PM

Post #7 of 23 (9314 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Durango books in english

In Reply To

This may be similar to a study done around the turn of the (other) century when it was said that driving a motor car had the same characteristics over driving a horse and buggy. ;>)

If I'm reading a good book,I don't care if it's a leather bound first edition or a 17th edition dog-eared paperback or if it's on my Kindle,I read books for their content,period.
The studies cited are suppositious in my opinion.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Aug 26, 2015, 1:17 PM)

YucaLandia

Aug 26, 2015, 2:01 PM

Post #8 of 23 (9297 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

If I'm reading a good book,I don't care if it's a leather bound first edition or a 17th edition dog-eared paperback or if it's on my Kindle,I read books for their content,period.

The studies cited are suppositious in my opinion.

"The studies cited are suppositious in my opinion." says it all.

When someone has never read the study, does not know its size nor its composition, does not know the subjects tested, and does not know the methodology ... then YES, opinions formed in the absence of facts are "
suppositious " , or even presumptuous suppositions => guesses.

For example, was I quoting the 2014 Italian study on lower retention by Kindle readers versus paper book readers?

Was I quoting from the phys.org 2014 study from Stavanger University in Norway study that showed significantly lower plot retention and significantly lower plot reconstruction capabilities/disabilities for Kindle readers?
http://phys.org/news/2014-08-readers-absorb-kindle.html

or ... Was I quoting the 2013 study of reading comprehension of Norwegian 10th-graders test results between those who read printed text versus reading PDF files on a computer screen, (followed by comprehension tests), where researchers found that "students who read texts in print scored significantly better on the reading comprehension test than students who read the texts digitally".

or ... Was I quoting results from the March 2015. US National Academy of Sciences study by Dr. Robert Freidland who found that reading printed books helped prevent Alzheimers versus Kindle reading ... and that TV watching and other similar mind-candy electronic-screen driven stimulations seem to actually "contribute to Alzheimers" .

Focus on the 2015 NAS study results that found elderly Americans who read books regularly are 2 times less likely to have Alzheimers ...

or ... Was I quoting from the 2001 National Academy of Sciences findings of reading's affects on Alzheimers ?

========================

So, CB ...

Just which study was I quoting from above, that you criticize ?

Which study or studies were you "suppositious " that are just conjecture and suppositions by the researchers ?

Some people choose to read... Some choose books as more enjoyable and more effective alternatives to crumbling old-age.
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 26, 2015, 4:41 PM)

YucaLandia

Aug 26, 2015, 2:41 PM

Post #9 of 23 (9287 views)

Shortcut

FB readers have liked Libreria Ochoa in Durango, with some english-language selections.

La Casa Del Libro en Gomez Palacio in Durango also lists english-language books, but have no ratings.

Are there paperbacks at either location? lo no se
-
Read-on MacDuff

cbviajero

Aug 26, 2015, 7:54 PM

Post #10 of 23 (9243 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
FB readers have liked Libreria Ochoa in Durango, with some english-language selections.

La Casa Del Libro en Gomez Palacio in Durango also lists english-language books, but have no ratings.

Are there paperbacks at either location? lo no se

"Lo no se"?
What does that mean?

RickS

Aug 26, 2015, 8:13 PM

Post #11 of 23 (9235 views)

Shortcut

"Lo no se" translates to 'I don't know'....

slainte39

Aug 26, 2015, 10:20 PM

Post #12 of 23 (9217 views)

Shortcut

Probably a little less clumsy to say "no lo se".

playaboy

Aug 27, 2015, 5:49 AM

Post #13 of 23 (9203 views)

Shortcut

No comprendo

cbviajero

Aug 27, 2015, 7:00 AM

Post #14 of 23 (9191 views)

Shortcut

Re: [slainte39] Durango books in english

In Reply To
Probably a little less clumsy to say "no lo se".

Si,ya lo se...:)

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Aug 27, 2015, 8:03 AM)

Maesonna

Aug 27, 2015, 3:59 PM

Post #15 of 23 (9141 views)

Shortcut

If you want to look online for paper books, the two best strategies Ive found are (1) Book Depository: the prices include shipping (unlike, for instance, Amazon), and (2) bookstores in the UK. The postage from UK to Mexico is often the same as the postage to the US, and they arrive amazingly fast I once got a paperback that arrived in 6 days, and since the book was slender enough to slip into an envelope, shipping was less than a pound. For (2), you can use a site like BookFinder4U or BookFinder or AbeBooks UK (among others) to locate a copy in the UK.

chinagringo

Aug 27, 2015, 4:25 PM

Post #16 of 23 (9137 views)

Shortcut

When was the last time a Kindle caused someone flying to be overweight? While a bunch of paperbacks or hardcovers can be an expensive proposition on one's weight allowances. While I will grant you that one can cram many sheets of notes between the pages in a book, stashing them on a Kindle, especially the Kindle Fire cause no increased weight or bulk.

As for the retention claims - what a crock! It was proven a long time ago that laying one's head on a book while expecting to learn and retain through osmosis wasn't a viable option. Retention requires a concerted effort on the part of the person wishing to learn and book versus Kindle is hogwash. Since this thread originated with a request for paperbacks - are we really talking about learning or simply being entertained?

I have "retained" information that quite possibly aluminum foil helmets may reduce the damages from radiation exposure. Possibly the Grand Poobah of using Google for everything would care to comment?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

chinagringo

Aug 28, 2015, 6:24 AM

Post #17 of 23 (9096 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Durango books in english

How timely - an article from today's USA TODAY indicates that the University of Maryland University College plans to elimnate textbooks this fall:
http://college.usatoday.com/...eliminate-textbooks/

Could their intent be to graduate entire classes who haven't retained anything?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

YucaLandia

Aug 28, 2015, 6:59 AM

Post #18 of 23 (9092 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
How timely - an article from today's USA TODAY indicates that the University of Maryland University College plans to elimnate textbooks this fall:
http://college.usatoday.com/...eliminate-textbooks/

Could their intent be to graduate entire classes who haven't retained anything?

This is not surprising at all, that "professional" educators at a University are making yet another poor choice, creating yet another link in a 45 year-long chain of poor educational system choices.

Consider that America's professionals studying education were consistently the near-worst students entering and graduating from universities through the 1970's - 1980's, with "educators" (teaching majors) having the worst entrance & exit scores of all students except for the football/basketball guys. Then recognize that those worst students became the new Ph.Ds in US Education faculties of US universities of the 1970's-1980's ... creating a nationwide US professional educators culture of worse-than-mediocrity. These near-worst university student/educators then "taught" the USA's educators of the early 1980's through today, (as USA's education majors continued to achieve the bottom-of-the-barrel test scores).

These worse-than-mediocre professional educators were simultaneously busy redesigning American education systems to suit themselves and to fit their talents, centering on "new math" and lots of other goofy concepts, including the mildly disastrous Bush-Cheney Core Knowledge program.

Results: US education levels have consistently been the worst of the developed world for the past 30 years, down with the Bulgarians at 19'th to 21'st in the world, as we spent the most $$ per pupil in the world (heavily due to systemic rot at the core).

Ironically, Mexican grads consistently outperform US grads ...

Should we be surprised that US "professional" educators at a University are making yet another convenient-but-poor education system choice, forging yet another link in a 45 year-long chain of poor choices ?

I'd laugh, if the consequences weren't so ugly and profound.

Why promote mediocrity?

" Could their intent be to graduate entire classes who haven't retained anything? "
Why does the US public embrace races to the bottom ?
-
Read-on MacDuff

citlali

Aug 29, 2015, 4:52 PM

Post #19 of 23 (9022 views)

Shortcut

I guess it takes someone educated in the States to understand that one but as far as I am concerned if I want to read a book in French I cannot find here I get it on the KIndle. I doubt that I will get Alzheimer faster than any other person. It seems that you get what you get: my boss was brilliant, actually he was a true genius, was well versed in many subjects, did not have a kindle came down with early onset Alzheimer and died 5 years later. so I do not worry too much about all these discourses on how to prevent Alzheimer and I will enjoy a book on kindle if I do not have acess to it .

chinagringo

Aug 30, 2015, 1:23 PM

Post #20 of 23 (8954 views)

Shortcut

This has to be some kind of new record on MexConnect - NINE attack PM's because I dared dispute another poster's claims! While I normally would simply ignore attack PM's - racist comments in a couple of the early ones did set me off and I set out to clear up misconceptions. Matters digressed from there and I have chosen to ignore the latest series of PM's.

This particular forum member is well known for attacking other members who disagree with him with lengthy diatribes that can be quite nasty!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

cbviajero

Aug 30, 2015, 1:33 PM

Post #21 of 23 (8953 views)

Shortcut

I've gotten a few nasty unsolicited PM s from the poster that I believe you're referring to as have other forum members.
Unfortunately I don't think that there is a way to block them.
He definitely does not like to be contradicted.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Aug 30, 2015, 4:45 PM)

Aaron+

Sep 2, 2015, 3:38 PM

Post #22 of 23 (8854 views)

Shortcut

I cannot claim my retention rate for matter read from a book is any better or worse than from reading off a monitor. In fact I cannot claim a retention rate! For pure enjoyment or edification, my clear personal preference is reading or studying from a book, though for language study an interactive online experience is even better.

I cannot speak for or about the U. of Md., I can only say that my almer mater some 120 mi. northeast of College Park has not abandoned texts, at least not yet, though visits to the main library there show few reading books and most glued to their laptops.

As for Mexican university grads doing better than U.S. university grads, huh? In what sense? Evidence? (This even considering that most Mexican "universities" are not graduate degree-offering institutions as we understand universities to me,)
Perhaps we should tell U.S. News & World Report to direct U.S. college applicants south of the border, instead of applying to Boston U,, Cornell, Stanford, etc.

fishfrier

Sep 2, 2015, 4:01 PM

Post #23 of 23 (8848 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Durango books in english

Academic achievement was NOT the priority at the university I taught at for 5 years here in Merida. The priority was profit. We were encouraged to pass students who were below average to keep the enrollment up.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4