Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

dutchie

Aug 23, 2015, 2:33 PM

Post #1 of 14 (7099 views)

Shortcut

Eagle pass to Mazatlan Where should I spend the night?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi
My wife and I and our small dog are planning to drive to Mazatlan from Canada via Piedras Negras in February. My plan is to do the Mexican part of the drive over 2 days. Where would a good place be to stop and spend the night after the first day in Mexico?

Thanks so much! Have picked up so much great info here on Mexconnect. Awesome site!

regards

(This post was edited by dutchie on Aug 23, 2015, 2:33 PM)

chicois8

Aug 23, 2015, 5:40 PM

Post #2 of 14 (7077 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dutchie] Eagle pass to Mazatlan Where should I spend the night?

The town of Torreon would be about the half way point...
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

dutchie

Aug 24, 2015, 5:53 AM

Post #3 of 14 (7048 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Eagle pass to Mazatlan Where should I spend the night?

Thanks
I noticed there are 3 towns basically lumped together there. Torreon, Lerdo and Gomez Palacio. My wife is VERY VERY nervous about this trip and I want to make sure that when we stop for the night she feels totally at ease. So Torreon is where most people stop? Any pet friendly hotel/Motel suggestions?

Once again Thanks so much!!

chinagringo

Aug 24, 2015, 7:13 AM

Post #4 of 14 (7043 views)

Shortcut

In years past, we have stayed in both Torreon and Gomez Palacio and would only do so as a last resort in the future. We travel all over Mexico and those two cities did not give a comfortable feeling. YMMV!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

dutchie

Aug 24, 2015, 7:54 AM

Post #5 of 14 (7034 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Eagle pass to Mazatlan Where should I spend the night?

Thanks for the heads up! Where would you recommend we stop for the night?

chinagringo

Aug 24, 2015, 8:16 AM

Post #6 of 14 (7029 views)

Shortcut

I have never gone from Eagle Pass to Mazatlan but am going to guess that you will be routing through Durango? Just checked and Piedras to Durango is just under 500 miles or about 8 hours of driving time. That is about our max driving distance each day but again your preferences may vary.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

dutchie

Aug 24, 2015, 9:22 AM

Post #7 of 14 (7020 views)

Shortcut

yes Durango was the plan. I was actually originally thinking staying in San Antonio (we wanted to sightsee a little bit the previous day) and drive to the Torreon area which according to Google maps is 8 hrs + an hr for the border? = 9 hrs. But if Durango gives a more comfortable feeling then we can definitely stay in Eagle Pass and make the drive all the way to Durango.

thanks

RickS

Aug 24, 2015, 10:45 AM

Post #8 of 14 (7007 views)

Shortcut

Eagle Pass to Torreon is only about 375 miles and the roads are very good... and also not many toll booths to slow down your pace, so Durango is doable IF you get an early start from the border (and I don't mean 5am!). If not, I would not hesitate to stay in a new hotel on the 40D bypass loop north of Torreon/Palacio. Don't know if they are dog friendly, but...

You probably already know this but... the immigration/car permit station is not at Piedras Negras but rather farther south around Allende... right on the road and quick/easy. Right after leaving there take the (only) toll road, for quite a while, to Sabinas and NOT the free road. Watch your gas gauge and fill up in Monclova as there are no Pemex stations for quite a while after that.

I've always noticed that google maps suggests a trip in Mexico will take more time than it actually does. I think this is because they must adhere to the sometimes ridiculously low speed limits posted in some areas when calculating their timing. I'm not suggesting that one speed but when the sign says 40km/hr somewhere out in the boonies they must use that when calculating, but no one, especially Mexicans, would actually drive that speed. You can 'probably' make Durango in 9hrs as it is only 535 miles.

rockydog85251

Aug 24, 2015, 11:13 AM

Post #9 of 14 (7003 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Eagle pass to Mazatlan Where should I spend the night?

If you are going to Mazatlan and Durango, by all means take the new highway "down the. hill".....it is a beautiful drive and you will get to see one of the wonders of the modern world...the suspension bridge over the Rio Baluarte. Incredible!!!!
It's now only about 3 hrs from Durango to Mazatlan, giving time for gawking.
Buen viaje!
Willie

dutchie

Aug 24, 2015, 2:07 PM

Post #10 of 14 (6981 views)

Shortcut

thanks Rick!
yes you're right, the info you provided has been cut and pasted from some of your, and other's previous posts. I think I have everything I need to know to make this journey other than where to spend my first night on the road. Do you happen to know the name of this new hotel?

I agree that google maps does tend to underestimate times but with the dog in the van and our need to get out and stretch,we would probably make pit stops every couple of hrs so I always figure that evens it out.

But with the info you guys have provided, I think the best plan is definitely leave Eagle Pass at first light and try and make it to Durango.

I found one pet friendly hotel in Durango (Posada inn Agustin) but it is right in centro. Don't know if I want, at the end of a long driving day, to be making my way through the streets of downtown Durango.

Does any one know of any pet friendly places in the outskirts near the Cuota?

Once again thanks for all of the awesome input. Very much appreciated!!

RickS

Aug 24, 2015, 2:25 PM

Post #11 of 14 (6976 views)

Shortcut

Sorry but I do not remember the name of the hotel... it is new, on the 40D bypass roughly in the NE quadrant of said. A 'name' brand if I recall right. Maybe someone will pipe up. If not I'll post the question on another board.

Of course, no-tell motels are secure, usually have their own garage and can facilitate pets. Most of them are nice enough for a night's stay (or less, but that's another story!).

dutchie

Aug 24, 2015, 2:46 PM

Post #12 of 14 (6973 views)

Shortcut

Thanks
Yes I have been trying to find some specific No-tels but specific info has been difficult to find. I think it was you that mentioned one in another post called Motel eXXXtasis and down the road from it, I found Motel Bugamlitas but my wife figures with a name like eXXXtasis we are bound to run into some nasty people. :) I'm trying to persuade her otherwise but specific reviews are hard to find.

It looks like I'm going to have to wander down Google streets and see what I can find on the outskirts of Durango.

chinagringo

Aug 24, 2015, 4:57 PM

Post #13 of 14 (6958 views)

Shortcut

Rick:
I used the Punta a Punta link you provided earlier for the distance and time calculations. I would be inclined to agree with you on the conservative driving time calculations from Google Maps and the same for the Punta a Punta calculations but each of us has different dring habits and driving comfort zones. After we quit staying in Torreon, we drove Chihuahua to Zacatecas easily in full daylight and if my memory serves correctly, it was right at 500 miles. Won't say the speed at which I would set the cruise control but will say that our Garmen calculated an average driving speed (that removed times spent gassing up, having lunch, potty breaks or simply stopping to stretch legs and back muscles) of 75mph to 80mph.

As for "dutchie's" comment about driving into city center, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned if I had a Garmin GPS with the most current Mexico maps!

One of my personal favorite hotel booking sites for Mexico is: booking.com and they do offer a pet friendly search option. It appears that the Hotel Ana Isabel in Durango is pet friendly from their site:
http://www.booking.com/...pe=total;ucfs=1&
I did see where there was a Best Western in Durango and while we don't travel with a dog, I have spotted them in many Best Westerns?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

dutchie

Aug 25, 2015, 2:54 PM

Post #14 of 14 (6911 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the Hotel suggestion! Yes Booking.com is a great site for those smaller Mom&Pop type hotels. Thanks for reminding me. I have used them in Mexico many times before but had not thought of them this time.

My concern with centro isn't so much getting lost but rather the added time to make our way through the congestion and stop and go traffic that centro locations usually entail. I figured after a long day on the road I didn't want to be dealing with all that. I will be definitely travelling with my trusty Garmin and my older smaller backup as well.

I think I might have an option with a No-tel I found on Google. (by the way, doing a search for "no tell motels" as suggested by some on this forum revealed nothing)

I found googling "Auto Hotels" did the trick though :)

I found Auto Hotel Villa Dorada just 3 km off the Cuota. It even has a 3* tripadvisor review :) under B&B's which I thought was funny and it is right next door to a police station which should alleviate some of my wife's concerns.

Found a bunch of others as well, some with web sites and Facebook pages.

So between the No-tels and suggestions made here I should be good to go.

Thanks a heap for all the help and suggestions. Much appreciated!!!

(This post was edited by dutchie on Aug 26, 2015, 5:42 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4