Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

BP

Aug 20, 2015, 4:28 PM

Post #1 of 6 (6454 views)

Shortcut

Towing personal items into La Paz - how to

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,
I am here in La Paz from Aug 16-22nd and have only a few more days. Within my 6 night stay, I found an incredible rental for 6 mos - rent starts October 2015, connected with many helpful and kind people to make the transition easy when I return in October and have made several "best" friends, (their words, not mine :D). In two days I return to New Jersey to start the process of packing everything up for storage or for the drive west. I plan to drive across the states hauling something either the first or second week of October.
I learned I can trailer personal items into the country without problems which will allow me to bring necessities the furnished rental doesn't have as well as personal stuff like scuba gear, bike, canvases, art supplies, power tools, etc.
My question to the forum is: "how to" get a trailer or something carrying my personal things across the border and where to drop it off. The more I ask around La Paz the more I hear it can't happen. A person suggested U-hauling a small trailer to San Diego and then hiring a moving company specific to my needs. I'll start the research on this and without knowing anything my first thought is cost.
Does anyone have experience in this area and are willing to offer guidance?
Thank you for your time and consideration,
BP

chinagringo

Aug 20, 2015, 6:27 PM

Post #2 of 6 (6446 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BP] Towing personal items into La Paz - how to

I may be wrong but you may want to leave your U-Haul ideas in NJ? Bruce may have claimed that Asbury Park is the center of the universe but the memo wasn't received in any part of Mexico! Good luck figuring what works in Mexico in such a short period of time. Hope you have deep pockets because it appears that you are set up for a real lesson!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

rvgringo

Aug 21, 2015, 10:14 AM

Post #3 of 6 (6421 views)

Shortcut

You cannot take a U-Haul into Mexico. You must have a Residente Temporal or Permanente to move household goods into Mexico. However, even a tourist can usually bring in a car full of stuff.
The simple solution is to bring only what you need, not want, and only what will fit in your vehicle.
If you must use a trailer, you will have to buy one, realizing that it will become part of your vehicle‘s Importada Temporal and that you must take it out of Mexico whenever the towing vehicle leaves Mexico; they are one unit. Fees and deposits apply and are tied to your immigration document and passport. La Paz is a long drive from the border. Travel light.

BP

Aug 21, 2015, 8:44 PM

Post #4 of 6 (6399 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Towing personal items into La Paz - how to

Thank you so much for your helpful reply.
I have learned more today talking with people plus your post confirming the same about trailers and the drive from the border. I am back to filling my Forester Subaru with just the necessities and a local woman suggested an over night at Guerrero Negro, not to travel MX by night, leave early the next morning arriving in La Paz by daylight.
It is all a little overwhelming but I will get where I need to be taking one step at a time with help from this forum and the people I have met in La Paz.
Thank you. Beverly

rvgringo

Aug 22, 2015, 9:31 AM

Post #5 of 6 (6383 views)

Shortcut

You have a good plan now. Enjoy the trip.

TedZar

Aug 22, 2015, 3:23 PM

Post #6 of 6 (6370 views)

Shortcut

Don't drive at night. Brown people with dark clothing walking along the road. Cars with no lights on the road. Big trucks with no lights on the road. Cattle and animals on the road with no lights. Simply asking for trouble. If you must drive at night or very early, drive VERY slowly and don't out-drive your lights.

U-Hauls get turned around at the border.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4