Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

socal

Aug 20, 2015, 2:34 PM

Post #1 of 6 (5536 views)

Shortcut

Mexican private health insurance to qualify for minimum essential coverage in the US

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm about to change jobs and loose my employee insurance. For many years I had Metlife Mexico and was very pleased with it. However I cancelled it last year. I'm considering renewing the Metlife policy or possibly going to a different company. "Certain foreign coverage" qualifies for Obamacare minimum essential coverage in the US. Does anyone have experience with this? Provider recommendations? I heard good things about AXA. Note that I currently live in the US, but frequently travel to Mexico and have many friends and a former employer based there.

citlali

Aug 20, 2015, 4:00 PM

Post #2 of 6 (5521 views)

Shortcut

Re: [socal] Mexican private health insurance to qualify for minimum essential coverage in the US

We have AXA and a great agent and have been happy with them. They have a list of good doctors and hospitals which is helpful when looking for a doctor. We joined them when we were in our mid 50´s which help as we did not have preconditons back then.
They paid for 3 surgeries and never had a problem with them.

YucaLandia

Aug 20, 2015, 5:09 PM

Post #3 of 6 (5509 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Mexican private health insurance to qualify for minimum essential coverage in the US

Does the AXA policy meet all of the US govt's minimum ACA requirements?

“Essential Health Benefits” required by ACA

ACA: “Minimum Essential Coverage” versus “Minimum Essential Health Benefits”

and

For Non-Residents:
ACA – Obamacare Rules Governing Non-Residents: “Maintenance of Minimum Essential Coverage”
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 20, 2015, 5:12 PM)

citlali

Aug 20, 2015, 7:31 PM

Post #4 of 6 (5489 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Mexican private health insurance to qualify for minimum essential coverage in the U

We are not US resident and do not go to the US , have not been there for many years so we are not concerned by the Obamacare requirements and have not looked into it
AXA covers us for 50 000 dollars when we are out of Mexico for emergencies and return to Mexico..

YucaLandia

Aug 20, 2015, 9:11 PM

Post #5 of 6 (5477 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Mexican private health insurance to qualify for minimum essential coverage in the U

OK.

The OP (socal) asked if AXA or other Mexican policies met ACA's requirements for minimum coverages, so I asked if your advice that AXA was good also met his/her need as a US resident for meeting ACA.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Gringal

Aug 21, 2015, 9:06 AM

Post #6 of 6 (5439 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Mexican private health insurance to qualify for minimum essential coverage in the U

We have no problem with qualifying for exemption from ACA since we haven't been back to the U.S. for more than four days in eleven years and have an official Mexican mailing address. The somewhat amusing part of the matter is that so many expats knock themselves out establishing a U.S. address for various reasons, which would result in some serious doubts by the IRS about where they live and a certain level of difficulty in proving that they really REALLY don't live in the Excited States. End result of "having it both ways."
Chuckle.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4