Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

TijuanaMax

Aug 20, 2015, 10:14 AM

Post #1 of 4 (5420 views)

Shortcut

Type 1 Diabetes Insulin Coverage

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife and I moved back from Mexico about 2 years ago and are now planning a full retirement in Mexico. However, I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes last year and have been injecting insulin (pen type - Novolog) every day. My current health insurance covers the cost of insulin. I only pay $50 every 4 or 5 weeks (5 pens in the box). Without my health insurance, I would have to pay somewhere around $500 each box.

My wife (from Mexico) told me that Seguro Social would not provide any expensive medication. I wonder if Seguro Social would cover the cost of insulin. Does anyone with Type 1 have any experience with Seguro Social? If Seguro Social doesn't cover insulin, how much does it cost?

Thank you

YucaLandia

Aug 20, 2015, 2:41 PM

Post #2 of 4 (5398 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TijuanaMax] Type 1 Diabetes Insulin Coverage

We have no experience with Type 1 diabetes treatment by IMSS, but in the past, IMSS had prohibitions against covering pre-existing conditions like chronic degenerative diseases such as diabetes, liver, kidney, heart, lung, neurological, vascular, etc.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 20, 2015, 2:47 PM)

jreboll

Aug 20, 2015, 4:01 PM

Post #3 of 4 (5382 views)

Shortcut

Not that this is answer to your problem but I have seen insulin pens on Craig's list. Perhaps you could start accumulating some before coming down.

AlanMexicali

Aug 21, 2015, 11:20 PM

Post #4 of 4 (5306 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
My wife and I moved back from Mexico about 2 years ago and are now planning a full retirement in Mexico. However, I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes last year and have been injecting insulin (pen type - Novolog) every day. My current health insurance covers the cost of insulin. I only pay $50 every 4 or 5 weeks (5 pens in the box). Without my health insurance, I would have to pay somewhere around $500 each box.

My wife (from Mexico) told me that Seguro Social would not provide any expensive medication. I wonder if Seguro Social would cover the cost of insulin. Does anyone with Type 1 have any experience with Seguro Social? If Seguro Social doesn't cover insulin, how much does it cost?

Thank you

Seguro Popular

"National Commission of Social Health Protection
Universal Health Services Catalogue 2014
Universal catalog
Health Services
CAUSES 2014

Comisión Nacional de Protección Social en Salud
Catálogo Universal de Servicios de Salud 2014
Catálogo Universal
de Servicios de Salud
CAUSES 2014

DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT OF DIABETES mellitus type 1. 159

DIAGNÓSTICO Y TRATAMIENTO DE DIABETES MELLITUS TIPO 1. 159"

http://www.google.com.mx/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CDsQFjAFahUKEwjL45D_iLzHAhWJNz4KHZcpCy4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fseguropopular.guanajuato.gob.mx%2Farchivos%2FCAUSES_2014.pdf&ei=txfYVYusIInv-AGX06zwAg&usg=AFQjCNEh_06MgCQfLvjIDqCadaranAuB1A

If your wife is not a member of the Seguro Social called the IMSS in Mexico you would qualify as a legal resident of Mexico to join the Seguro Popular which does allow pre-existing medical conditions with no waiting periods or exclusions to join for some pre-existing medical conditions etc. that the IMSS has in their rules.

The problem is you as a family cannot belong to one socialized medicine system and join any other socialized medical system at the same time. Seguro Popular covers type 1 diabetes.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Aug 21, 2015, 11:58 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4