Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ski

Aug 9, 2015, 10:53 PM

Post #1 of 33 (5870 views)

Shortcut

My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am currently packing my bags to make a permanent move south of the border. Just wanted to ask people's opinions as to what items I may need to bring with me that are unavailable in Mexico (for example, I am bringing a dozen tins of my favorite McCann's brand oatmeal). Thanks in advance!

chinagringo

Aug 10, 2015, 5:46 AM

Post #2 of 33 (5841 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ski] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

Nothing like posting a huge question with so many open ends! But it might be helpful if you were to at least start off with an indication of where you might be moving? This may sound a bit foreign to you but availability of various "must haves" will vary from one area to the next.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

playaboy

Aug 10, 2015, 7:07 AM

Post #3 of 33 (5815 views)

Shortcut

A couple of gallons of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, a good Chinese and Pizza restaurant, good insect repellent, TV dinners, sweet corn on the cob and russet potatoes are just a couple of things you won't find here.

addtocart

Aug 10, 2015, 7:15 AM

Post #4 of 33 (5810 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
A list of your favorite things you WILL find here would be much shorter.

slainte39

Aug 10, 2015, 7:46 AM

Post #5 of 33 (5806 views)

Shortcut

McCann's oatmeal, from Ireland, is available, and has been for some time in Guadalajara, don't know about the rest of the country.
Have it all the time, and it comes in various flavors.....apple, cinnamon, etc.

Gringal

Aug 10, 2015, 8:09 AM

Post #6 of 33 (5801 views)

Shortcut

You may not find everything you WANT in Mexico, but if you are flexible, you'll find everything you NEED.

As another poster mentioned, it also depends heavily on WHERE you are moving. A lot of things are available in Guadalajara or Mexico City that you won't find in a charming little village.

Many of us would very much appreciate your bringing a GOOD Chinese restaurant to the Lake Chapala Area. Or just the chef.

Welcome and have a good journey.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Aug 10, 2015, 8:11 AM)

cbviajero

Aug 10, 2015, 10:20 AM

Post #7 of 33 (5766 views)

Shortcut

If you read bring a Kindle and open a public library account,if you cook bring your kitchen utensils,they're available here but the prices and selection are better in the US,any tools you might already own might come in handy as well.

Gringal

Aug 10, 2015, 12:13 PM

Post #8 of 33 (5743 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

Good suggestions, especially if you have a cast iron fry pan or dutch oven. Hard to find and nasty expensive here.

stevebrtx

Aug 10, 2015, 1:10 PM

Post #9 of 33 (5729 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

I had a taste for Hormel chili when I moved there, bought it once at Superwhatever for a silly amount of money - lost my taste for it quickly. You'll adapt and adopt. Probably the one best thing I brought was a SirusXM radio, it kept me sane (or close) for 7 years.

I developed a "rule" to explain Mexico. If the local folks need it, use it etc. it's probably reasonable to buy and in many cases, even "cheap" - but generally, the days of living cheap in MX are over. So, if you want to live native, it can be inexpensive, if you want to live "gringo" then it's going to cost a whole lot more. Local folks don't need electronics, so very expensive in MX, they still do much by hand, so electric tools are expensive. But, each to his own, the one thing you cannot bring from anywhere to MX is the weather, it's fabulous there, we just topped 100 a few minutes ago on our way to probably 103-104 here in TX.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

Gringal

Aug 10, 2015, 2:19 PM

Post #10 of 33 (5713 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

The thing about Weather is that it's with you 24/7/365. Artificially altering it costs a bundle. Living outdoors nearly all year is a real pleasure.

Cost of living is relative. We're "living gringo" as Steve put it, but waaaay cheaper than it cost back in the States.

ski

Aug 11, 2015, 6:15 PM

Post #11 of 33 (5568 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

Haha, sorry for such a general question! I know it is very broad, but I felt as if it might be beneficial to ask those people who have already moved to Mexico for tips, being that I know I won't think of the amenities I have taken for granted in the states until I am stuck in Mexico without any outlet to get these items...if it helps, I will be in Mexico City. Thanks...

ski

Aug 11, 2015, 6:19 PM

Post #12 of 33 (5567 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

LMAO! I've given up on good Chinese/pizza well before even moving to Mexico! Luckily I'm not a big fan of Ben & Jerry's, but sweet corn and Russet potatoes may well make me yearn for home! Thanks...

ski

Aug 11, 2015, 6:26 PM

Post #13 of 33 (5566 views)

Shortcut

Re: [slainte39] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

I purchased ten cans of McCann's oatmeal to bring to Mexico in my luggage because I have never seen it in Mexico City (where I am moving to)!! Is it really available in Guadalajara??? And in what supermarket did you find it? I've diligently searched through all the "high end" supermarkets in D.F. and never seen it (La Mega, Superama, etc). That, alone, would be a great relief knowing I could find my favorite oatmeal in Mexico...(I would go to Guadalajara for it, but I believe it is a six hour drive). Thanks and let me know!

ski

Aug 11, 2015, 6:28 PM

Post #14 of 33 (5565 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

Thank you for your advice! Bringing my own kitchen utensils is a great suggestion and very helpful. Thank you...

darrellk

Aug 11, 2015, 9:11 PM

Post #15 of 33 (5541 views)

Shortcut

In Aguas I can find all but one of the above, sure was good I could find the cookie dough! I could even (the wife could find) was wanton wraps. The one thing I couldn't find was sweet corn but then again I would go out and get chascas (you will find out what they are) and they are really good.
The hardest part for me was learning all the words for things like nuts and bolts when you go to a ferriteria.

Good luck, just enjoy the exchange rate and life without big brother looking over your shoulder!

esperanza

Aug 13, 2015, 6:44 AM

Post #16 of 33 (5426 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I purchased ten cans of McCann's oatmeal to bring to Mexico in my luggage because I have never seen it in Mexico City (where I am moving to)!! Is it really available in Guadalajara??? And in what supermarket did you find it? I've diligently searched through all the "high end" supermarkets in D.F. and never seen it (La Mega, Superama, etc). That, alone, would be a great relief knowing I could find my favorite oatmeal in Mexico...(I would go to Guadalajara for it, but I believe it is a six hour drive). Thanks and let me know!

Seasonal USA yellow sweet corn is grown commercially in Querétaro and sold fresh in many places, including Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Ajijic. I was in Superlake (Ajijic) last week and the place was stacked high with it. It's packaged three ears to a styrofoam tray and shrink-wrapped. I've bought it in Mexico City as well, both at Costco and at my neighborhood tianguis. It is superb, just the way you want it.

I saw (and bought) russet potatoes once, about two years ago, in the Chedraui Special store in Polanco (in the same shopping mall as Costco). They were small and not very good.

That same Chedraui usually has a large selection of imported staples. You might well find your oatmeal there.

If you really love Chinese food, I frequently have almuerzo at a marvelous restaurant in an off-the-beaten-track neighborhood. IMHO it's the only really great Chinese food in the country. Most of you know that at one time in my life I was a Chinese chef in a NY restaurant and get to have an educated opinion about Chinese food. This restaurant serves Hong Kong dim sum at its best. The people who go there with me are normally the only foreigners in the place; the large neighborhood is 80% Chinese and that's the population that is served.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

ski

Aug 13, 2015, 12:50 PM

Post #17 of 33 (5376 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

That is really wonderful news! I was disappointed when the other person on the forum told me to forget about sweet American corn, but I was devastated to hear that there is no good Chinese restaurants. Dim sum on sundays in NY is one of my favorite culinary delights, so this restaurant you mentioned really piques my interest. Do you have the name and address? Thank you so much for chiming in with your input. I also will have to check out the Costco in Polanco (i've been there before but never bothered checking for McCann's oatmeal because they don't carry it at Costco in the states). Thanks...

Gringal

Aug 13, 2015, 2:35 PM

Post #18 of 33 (5353 views)

Shortcut

You need not be totally dim sun deprived. Costco carries a frozen dim sun platter (about right for 2) from a company which Senor Google found and which informed me that it has no "junk" in it. Shrimp dim sun. Various configurations. Tasty.

The Lake Chapala area has appallingly bad Chinese restaurants. Abduct chef and bring here, por favor.

The good corn is sold in many places, so no problem there. Russet Potatoes? Haven't see those around here. Good other varieties though.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Aug 13, 2015, 2:37 PM)

Anonimo

Aug 14, 2015, 5:26 AM

Post #19 of 33 (5306 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

Sweet yellow corn is now available in the Pátzcuaro mercado. Also, a produce truck regularly plies the rural byroads selling elotes amarillos as well as the "usual" tropical fruits. We have the best of both both worlds.

Even our traditionalist neighbor cleaning lady is putting elote amarillo in her caldo de pollo.

When we want Chinese food, I cook it at home, unless we are visiting Mexico City and can take a taxi to Jing Teng for some dim sum.
http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/...ng-teng-colonia.html

ski

Aug 14, 2015, 1:52 PM

Post #20 of 33 (5248 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

Isn't that something?? Sweet corn in caldo de pollo, I bet it is delicious!! I will have to check out Jing Teng sometime soon! I know once I spend enough time away from NY I am going to be craving dim sum like a madman! The Chinatown in Mexico City is pretty depressing, but hopefully this restaurant will provide a spark of dim sum excellence! Thanks for your feedback!

chinagringo

Aug 14, 2015, 8:10 PM

Post #21 of 33 (5207 views)

Shortcut

Out of curiosity: why would you wait to request information until the final two weeks before you made the move?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

ski

Aug 14, 2015, 8:22 PM

Post #22 of 33 (5204 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

Better to ask for info two weeks before moving than two weeks after, right? Lol...packing my luggage made me consider it.

YucaLandia

Aug 15, 2015, 6:47 AM

Post #23 of 33 (5166 views)

Shortcut

1 week and counting ...

Safe travels,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Anonimo

Aug 15, 2015, 7:56 AM

Post #24 of 33 (5149 views)

Shortcut

There's a longer established Chinese restaurant, on Calle Albino Garcia, two blocks west of Jing Teng. It's called Ka Won Seng. I have read of it but haven't eaten there yet. http://insidemex.com/...earch-the-real-thing

Saludos,
Anonimo

ski

Aug 15, 2015, 12:37 PM

Post #25 of 33 (5115 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

I'll have to check Ka Won Seng out!!! Thank you for the advice! This is great, I am hopeful that I will find decent Chinese food in Mexico!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4