Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chinagringo

Aug 15, 2015, 6:10 PM

Post #26 of 33 (5056 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ski] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Sorry but we put more planning into a 10 day to 2 week trip versus your intent to move to Mexico for good.

I am reminded of a transplantee who asked for our advice on what they should take when moving from Texas to the Lake Chapala area. I spent a full day putting together a list about 4 years ago and never received so much as a thank you. Less than two weeks after they arrived, they were asking on various web boards where they could find certain items. Virtually every single item they asked about was on my suggested list on what to bring from NOB. And while many of these items may not have been available 4 years ago - things change and they might be available today?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

slainte39

Aug 16, 2015, 10:35 PM

Post #27 of 33 (4978 views)

Shortcut

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I purchase McCann's oatmeal from Ireland at Soriana on Av de las Americas in Guadalajara and have for the last 5 years at least, maybe more. Now whether it's in other Soriana stores in this area or around the country, I don't know, but they are a big chain and I doubt that the buyers would only buy for one store.
If they did, I feel honored, and how would they have known my DNA? LOL

maryellen1952

Aug 20, 2015, 11:19 AM

Post #28 of 33 (4840 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

I haven't had a problem here in Baja to find these so wonder where you are shopping?
1) insect repellent at Farmacias Similares
2) russet potatoes are in all stores including Walmart
3) those nasty TV dinners are an American thing
4) there are plenty of good Mexican brands of ice cream depending on the flavor

Ty

Aug 20, 2015, 3:55 PM

Post #29 of 33 (4799 views)

Shortcut

Re: [maryellen1952] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

In reading this post thread, I was hoping I could gain some insight of important things to bring - not something like oatmeal or ice cream. I am curious about the kitchen utensils. Do you mean knives, forks, whisks, or are you talking about blenders, etc.? Thank you.

slainte39

Aug 20, 2015, 10:36 PM

Post #30 of 33 (4752 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ty] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

You will find a lot more good blenders than you will find good ice cream or a certain brand of oatmeal. LOL

Gringal

Aug 21, 2015, 9:18 AM

Post #31 of 33 (4715 views)

Shortcut

Re: [slainte39] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

There are plenty of kitchen needs, both with and without an electrical cord at any large store in Mexico. In fact, because of electrical situations in Mexico, it's better to buy appliances there. Good cookware is available at all Costco stores.

Bear in mind how much per pound you must pay to move anything.

The best way to get rid of "stuff" you can replace or don't need is NOT a garage sale. Find the local "estate auction" place and have them take it away. You'll get more money for it that way and it will all be GONE. I speak from having moved at least 30 times over a lifetime, by necessity. (No, it wasn't because I didn't pay the rent: my spouse was a corporate gypsy.)
Welcome and good luck.

ski

Aug 22, 2015, 2:07 PM

Post #32 of 33 (4627 views)

Shortcut

Re: [slainte39] My Last Two Weeks in the States before Moving to Mexico

Better a late response than never!! Thank you for letting me know about the McCann's oatmeal at Soriana, I will check it out in Mexico City. I guess after everyone's feedback, I will have to follow up in the next couple months with a list of items I miss from the States that I didn't have the foresight to bring. Tomorrow is the big move south of the border, wish me luck!! Thanks everyone...

BradHouser

Aug 27, 2015, 7:49 AM

Post #33 of 33 (4357 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I am currently packing my bags to make a permanent move south of the border. Just wanted to ask people's opinions as to what items I may need to bring with me that are unavailable in Mexico (for example, I am bringing a dozen tins of my favorite McCann's brand oatmeal). Thanks in advance!

My wife and I began the move to Merida almost 2 years ago. We moved our household furnishings with a moving company (a horror story I will relate later). Our plan was to build a house there. I continued to work in the US to pay for the construction.

With respect to the house, there are lot of things we are bringing from the US. Electrical outlets and switches are way cheaper at the US Home Depots compared to the Mexican ones. Major Appliances (Refrigerators, Washers, etc.)sold in MX are more expensive and crappy compared to the ones we get in the US. Computers and other electronics are also more scarce and more expensive than in the US. In my travels I have brought Casablanca ceiling fans, faucets, shower heads, clothes, computer parts, and other items.

My wife likes to cook (especially Yucatecan cuisine) and I have brought many things: herbs and spices in large containers, sesame oil, zip lock bags, cheese cloth, etc.

You will find that ordering things from eBay and Amazon.com is unavailable or unreliable. I had a replacement laptop keyboard mailed from China to Merida. When it hadn't arrived after a month, I wrote the seller and had him send a replacement to my US address. It finally showed up in Merida six months later, due to the unreliable Mexican postal service.

One adjusts to certain things. "You aren't in the US anymore" was a commonly heard phrase in my house. There are plenty of other things to enjoy about living in Mexico.

My transition completes in the next 6 weeks. Good Luck with your move.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4