Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

Lilmsmaggie

Jul 30, 2015, 11:05 AM

Post #1 of 10 (5340 views)

Shortcut

Rental Agreements in Jalisco state

Can't Post | Private Reply
I've searched but couldn't find a definitive source with respect to rental and lease agreements, payment of rents.

While in Puerto Vallarta last week, my niece found a place she was interested in renting. She found the listing on Craigslist, however; Vistalegre somehow got involved (more about that later).

Anyway, she was told that the owner would accept dollars or pesos.

In one thread I found here on Mexconnect, to paraphrase; it was stated that all rental agreements must be in pesos, since that is the legal currency.

Anyway, the Vistalegre representative wasn't answering questions to my niece's satisfaction (he graduated from a U.S. university in Texas) and from a previous encounter with Vistalegre, she didn't want to deal with Vistalegre at all.

The Vistalegre agent was also putting pressure on her to take possession of the rental, even though this would have meant breaking her current lease. Finally, she contacted him earlier this week and told him she was no longer interested.

So, if you enter into a rental agreement in Mexico (specifically in Jalisco state), must the rental/lease agreement state that rents are to be payable in Pesos only?

Thanks in advance.
Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

sparks

Jul 30, 2015, 11:57 AM

Post #2 of 10 (5336 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lilmsmaggie] Rental Agreements in Jalisco state

If it ever went to court .... definitely pesos

>>>>> Anyway, she was told that the owner would accept dollars or pesos.

I bet that was dollars or peso equivalent .... to avoid the devalued peso. Can't imagine anyone going to the trouble of getting dollars. A hotel here quoted me a price in dollars or equiv .... and they sure would not have asked a Mexican for dollars

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Lilmsmaggie

Jul 30, 2015, 12:54 PM

Post #3 of 10 (5326 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Rental Agreements in Jalisco state

Thanks Sparks. The owner we were told was Italian. Again, not sure why they would want dollars vs pesos but since my niece was dealing with Vistalegre, who knows.

In Reply To
If it ever went to court .... definitely pesos

>>>>> Anyway, she was told that the owner would accept dollars or pesos.

I bet that was dollars or peso equivalent .... to avoid the devalued peso. Can't imagine anyone going to the trouble of getting dollars. A hotel here quoted me a price in dollars or equiv .... and they sure would not have asked a Mexican for dollars

Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

JRinPV

Jul 31, 2015, 7:50 AM

Post #4 of 10 (5291 views)

Shortcut

Vistalegre doesn't have a good reputation here. The dollar is continuing to strengthen against the pesos, that's the main reason behind wanting dollars, I guess

Lilmsmaggie

Jul 31, 2015, 2:26 PM

Post #5 of 10 (5272 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JRinPV] Rental Agreements in Jalisco state

Alex Diaz I believe operates Vistalegre. At first meet, he's quite personable and likable. I think we kinda met his sister Anna while I was there but not sure. Several people in the complex where my niece is currently renting, feel that he's not very reputable as well and he lives in the same complex. He also maintains an Airbnb and Ownerdirect.com presence as well as posting on Craigslist but not always identifying the ads as belonging to Vistalegre.

He claims to be originally from Guadalajara; attending university in Texas before returning to Mexico and settling in Puerto Vallarta.

One argument a girlfriend of my niece made was that IF (my emphasis added) the dollar loses value, it (her rent) would cost more in pesos - but currencies are always fluctuating up and down. That to me is an inherent, given risk. If you have a solid lease/rental agreement, you're not affected by currency fluctuation during the term of the lease.

In Reply To
Vistalegre doesn't have a good reputation here. The dollar is continuing to strengthen against the pesos, that's the main reason behind wanting dollars, I guess

Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

JRinPV

Aug 1, 2015, 8:05 AM

Post #6 of 10 (5243 views)

Shortcut

Several reports from clients who were cheated out of their security deposit and situations of "Bait-and-switch", also listing properties that were not registered with Vistalegre, taking photos and info. from other real estate companies that had those listings.

Lilmsmaggie

Aug 27, 2015, 12:38 PM

Post #7 of 10 (5102 views)

Shortcut

Is it true that Mexico landlord/tenant law is Pro- tenant?

If so, where would I find the applicable laws pertaining to Jalisco state?

My niece is running into contract issues and would like to draw up an agreement that both she and a prospective owner can agree to. She's concerned about an unlawful eviction or not receiving sufficient notice to vacate.
Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

JRinPV

Aug 28, 2015, 6:58 AM

Post #8 of 10 (5072 views)

Shortcut

Any rental lease of less than 12 months and in any currency other than pesos, would not be a legal document, just a piece of paper.

Lilmsmaggie

Aug 31, 2015, 12:27 PM

Post #9 of 10 (5024 views)

Shortcut

That may be true but I'm sure there are exceptions that, if agreeable to both parties, would be acceptable. Short-term leases for example (my niece rented the condo she's currently living in PV for 6 mos. - the owners are Canadian).

In any case, she walked away from the rental offer that was the subject of this post. Found another unit for less money, 1 year lease, that she seems to be happier with, somewhere in the Cinco de Diciembre area, not too far from Ley's market. She is supposed to sign a lease today (Monday). Hopefully, this one will workout for her.

Maybe if I can get back down to PV before mid-November, I'll get to see it. Although, I kinda like where she is now and I can understand her wanting to remain in the same complex. Unfortunately, most of the units available in the complex are not within her budget.

Thx
Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

JRinPV

Aug 31, 2015, 12:56 PM

Post #10 of 10 (5017 views)

Shortcut

No exceptions it's the law ! Try going to court on that :)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4