Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Mexicanbill

Jul 20, 2015, 1:13 PM

Post #1 of 5 (5237 views)

Shortcut

Road Hazards

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone know of any road hazards between Puerto Vallarta and Eagle Pass? I'm not excited about the non cota road between Saltillo and Monclove ?
and can we make it from Puerto Vallarta to Saltillo in one day, driving only daylight hours, without braking the speed laws?
Chef William aka MexicanBill

RickS

Jul 20, 2015, 7:04 PM

Post #2 of 5 (5210 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicanbill] Road Hazards

Road Hazards???

From where I sit, the answers are 'no, and no'. And then my question would be 'why are you not excited about the non-cuota road between Saltillo and Monclova'?

You'll probably spend 3-3.5 hours getting up hiway 200 from PV to Tepic. Then about 3 more hours on cuota from Tepic to outside of Mazatlan (Villa Union). So you are now up to 6 hours... and you haven't even left the coast!

From Villa Union up thru Durango (not actually 'thru') and on to Torreon is another 5 hours on cuota (climbing up the Devil's Backbone to Durango... gorgeous but not fast... and then fast cuota to Torreon). Now you are at about 11 hours and Saltillo is still another 2.5 hours away.

These times are conservative... you may be able to shave an hour off that whole trip.... but still and all it's too far for one days journey IMO. There is another route.... through Guadalajara.... but it is about the same timeframe and in my opinion it has more 'driving through cities'.

What is your beef with the road from Saltillo to Monclova? I drive that route all the time. It is a VERY wide 2-lane road with good shoulders and with very little traffic.... more these days than a few years ago because everyone realizes what a good way to go. There is only one Pemex on the route and it's not too far out of Saltillo, so watch your gauge.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jul 20, 2015, 7:09 PM)

Mexicanbill

Jul 20, 2015, 8:09 PM

Post #3 of 5 (5201 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Road Hazards

Thanks Rick

I think we will go the same way we did last trip, out 200 cutting off to go to Guadalajara up to Lagos de Moreno and overnight there because Casa Grande always allows us to bring our dogs as long as we tell them when we book the night. From there up to Matehuala and overnight again because that is the last place I could find that allows pets (Los Palmas Midway Inn) and then shoot for the border the following morning.

I don't really have a problem with the road from Saltillo to Monclove but somehow we got on the wrong road out of Matehuala last year when we made the trip and ended up on a road that took us through some hills with some very tight windy roads and we want to make sure we don't make that mistake again. I think it added about 2 hours to our trip.

We also lost another hour or so with an army road check along that road that had traffic backed up for miles.

Your information is always the best so thats for reminding me about the Pemex.

We are only in the states for 30 days then we drive back....

chinagringo

Jul 20, 2015, 8:13 PM

Post #4 of 5 (5200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicanbill] Road Hazards

Mexicanbill:

In reflecting back on your posts through the years, it seems that driving in Mexico seems to be a chore for you and there always seems to be one issue or another? Is it the same experience for you NOB? Somewhere in this ongoing saga, I feel left out since I haven't felt the stress and strain while driving many thousands of miles in Mexico over the last 17 years.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Mexicanbill

Jul 20, 2015, 9:36 PM

Post #5 of 5 (5191 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Road Hazards

Neil
You are right in that I do sometimes stress when I don't need to. I am the driver in the family on the open road and I think there is a fear factor because of the one experience when we were chased by the guys with guns on our first trip driving to PV. Of course we broke all the rules by driving at night and being on a lonely road so I guess I should not worry so much. My main concern is not to get caught driving after dark by pushing it to reach a set goal.

I enjoy driving and averaged 30.000 miles per year before we moved to Mexico. But it does not hurt to map out a plan when driving across Mexico when I don't read enough Spanish, fast enough, to keep up with all the road information as I travel. This trip will be 6000 miles round trip.

Hopefully, the next time I do it, I will have a GPS with the roads of Mexico on it.

Don't feel left out, I have always worried to much about to many things, it drives my wife nuts, but it's just the way I am.
Thanks for your feedback, I'll try to relax and go with the flow.
Bill

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4