Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

robt65

Jul 19, 2015, 7:47 PM

Post #1 of 5 (5852 views)

Shortcut

Have Booked A Holiday In Cabo for Family - Need Suggestions

Can't Post | Private Reply
Ok, so now that all surgeries have been completed and am on my way back to better health, I finally booked a one week holiday in Cabo San Lucas for my family and myself. I need some suggestions from those who "have been there or done that". We have opted to rent a 2 bedroom Condo almost right on the beach wit a 75 yard walk to the water. First my family with diverse ages. Me 73, wife 40, mother in law 65 (with beginning Alzheimer's) Step daughter 12 yrs old, and our daughter 5 years old. I would really like to take one day for each and make it special for them.

For "my day" I have booked a 35 foot charter fishing boat for the full day. I am taking my wife and daughter on this outing as well, as I think they would be excited about catching a fish from all that water. All Is inclusive on the boat charter which includes a nice lunch as well as a total of 18 mixed drinks to include a few beers, soft drinks and bottled water, fishing licenses, live bait as well. I am really hoping to hook up with some nice size dorado, as I have really enjoyed eating this fish when in Hawaii. Anyway, supposedly there are restaurants at the beach, that will cook your fresh caught fish free. My questions are: has anyone done this before or been with someone who has? What is the normal procedure for such a treat. does one offer a special gratuity for such a service and if so what amounts? Does anyone know of a particular restaurant that offers such a service?

I also rented a private shuttle car from the airport at arrival and for departure so I would not have any hassles from taxi's and condo sales persons as I have heard they can be a real pain in the you know where.
Another day as a family and mostly for the girls, we are going to devote just to the dolphins at Cabo Dolphins on a private "swim and ride" program; where all of us can be with one dolphin for a good amount of time and not only swim with the dolphins, but also ride on the dolphin. I can't think of a more life long memory for a child at the ages of our daughters to have and keep photos of the experience.

Another day our youngest and I are going to have a half day of private time to do what she will like to do, while our older daughter, wife and mother-in-law go and do some shopping in town or what ever they want to do. This gives mom a break from our youngest and a special time with our oldest alone and with mother in law.

Another day maybe we can rent a couple of seadoos and have some water fun. Mostly we will cook at the rented condo for meals but one time each day we are going to eat out, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner. Jimena (my wife) really likes shrimp, and most fish as does mother-in-law and I really like such great treats as abalone, snails, scallops etc. so If anyone know personally of a good place to eat, don't be shy and tell me if you will. If there is anyone either living in Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo or have been there recently and you have some good experiences to share, we would really like to hear about them.

On one or two nights, I would like to get a cook to come to the condo and cook for us any special local dishes the cook may know. I think that is a possibility also, is it not? A nice treat for Jimena not to have to cook while on holiday.
We really would appreciate any input or ideas in advance.

Regards,
robt65
San Juan del Rio
Querétaro

(This post was edited by robt65 on Jul 20, 2015, 9:15 AM)

chicois8

Jul 20, 2015, 8:03 AM

Post #2 of 5 (5817 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Have Booked A Holiday In Cabo for Family - Need Suggestions

robt65 writes"I am really hoping to hook up with some ice size dorado,"

I usually catch 40 to 45 pounders but to each his own, LOL
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

robt65

Jul 20, 2015, 9:19 AM

Post #3 of 5 (5809 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Have Booked A Holiday In Cabo for Family - Need Suggestions

Hello chicois8,
Those are the size I am hoping to hook up with but are they the best eating size? I have never fished for Dorado before so this will be a new experience for me. What size would be the best for eating chicois8? I saw one review posting that named a restaurant where when they took in their the chef cooked it up several different ways for them. Now that would be a treat for sure. Now I have to go back and search for the name of that restaurant. All I remember is that is was somewhere near to the marina.
robt65

chicois8

Jul 20, 2015, 11:18 AM

Post #4 of 5 (5798 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Have Booked A Holiday In Cabo for Family - Need Suggestions

robt, I can not help with Cabo, I do not go to mega resorts like cancun and Cabo while in Mexico, I do not want to see drunken Americans and Canadians
all over the place along with timeshare salespeople pestering me all the time.
Since you live in Mexico I would be interested in your post trip report....

As far as catch and prepare in La Paz I caught mid size dorado ( 30 pounders)
had the captain filet and bag, brought it to the hotel restaurant, they wrote my room number on the bag and they just asked what time for dinner. At dinner they brought one of those clay fish brazers with coals inside and on each of the 3 sections on top was the the filet prepared al mojo de ajo, empanasado and a la veracruzana. along with a salad and veggies..At that time a fish filet meal was 100 pesos and they billed us 30 pesos for the preperation and sides.......hope this helps.
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

robt65

Jul 20, 2015, 5:28 PM

Post #5 of 5 (5773 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Have Booked A Holiday In Cabo for Family - Need Suggestions

Hello Again Chicois8,
Like you I do not patronize Mega Resorts. That is precisely why I prefer to rent a 2 bedroom, 2 baths Condo. It also allows our family a little more privacy away from the drunks as you have pointed out. We do not plan down to the minute for sure but we do plan one special time period a day for each of us to have something we like especially to do. The girls are really excited about the "Cabo Dolphins" and it supposed to be a pretty good event by a pretty good company. They have a selection of things to do for a morning like a family time with the dolphins and then girls will each get to ride a dolphin. We can have some photos taken and I think both the girls and us older folks should have a pretty good set of memories for that day.
I never have been a "trophy sports person". The biggest be it fish, moose or other game or even duck or geese for that matter. For me I have always found the smaller and younger fish or game to have the most taste. So for me a few 20 to 30 pound Dorado will be the best to eat and certainly should be enough for our family I think. I am really looking forward to a fresh catch of the day dinner. and if we don't catch Dorado that is OK also. Plenty of other good fish in the sea. I also like a younger 30 to 50 pound Mako shark for a fish dinner. They provide a really good steak to eat.
Another thing I like to try from time to time is to find a local lady who likes to cook local dishes and hire her for a couple of nights of cooking a nice dish and for cleaning up afterwards. They like the extra work and my wife and mother in law like not having to clean up afterwards.
I also like to have a day of going to the spa for a really good massage. My wife and mother in law have never tried it but they are going to this time. I will watch the girls at the condo pool and they can have their 1 hour massage and then we will switch. This condo has a great children's play area away from the adults area. Angi really likes to mingle with other kids and they have fun as I can read a book or something relaxing.
Another day I will take Angi back to the children's pay area, Jimena and my mother in law and Ana Sofia can go shopping for half a day.
I will take Angi our youngest there and Jimena, my mother in law and our 12 year old can have a half day of shopping. while we loosely plan, we don't plan every minute. It works out well for us that way. We will usually meet for lunch some place one or the other of us has found and have a nice lazy afternoon of it.
I have to be NOB at the VA one more time before we leave on 9 August, so it will be a fast trip and a good thing too, as I need to get a good supply of deet repellant as well as a good amount of sun lotion for all of us. Those things are so much cheaper at Wal Mart in the USA or Costco and I have heard that in Cabo they are really high priced.
Any way, I will give you a report after the trip. Again thanks for the suggestions.
Regards,
robt65

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4