Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

jwallacq

Jul 19, 2015, 9:39 AM

Post #1 of 17 (16096 views)

Shortcut

Where to buy Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing alcohol) ??

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anybody know where to find Rubbing alcohol ( 91% Isopropanol ) in Mexico -- specifically in the Yucatan?

The only thing I have been able to locate is denatured ethanol, which is a very, very poor substitute.

Thanks in Advance. jw

fishfrier

Jul 19, 2015, 3:31 PM

Post #2 of 17 (16065 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwallacq] Where to buy Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing alcohol) ??

Walmart carries it in their drug department.

TedZar

Jul 20, 2015, 4:58 PM

Post #3 of 17 (15987 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fishfrier] Where to buy Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing alcohol) ??

EVERY pharmacy will have it.

jwallacq

Jul 20, 2015, 6:57 PM

Post #4 of 17 (15967 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fishfrier] Where to buy Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing alcohol) ??

Apparently not around here. I have tried both WalMarts in Merida, and the WalMart in Playa del Carmen with no success.

I have also tried the pharmacy departments in Chedraui and various other Supers, as well as several YZA farmacias in Merida. I think we even tried a semi-professional pharmacy in Playa, located next to a hospital, but I have forgotten which one.

TessSC

Jul 21, 2015, 1:40 PM

Post #5 of 17 (15905 views)

Shortcut

All the bottles you see in the pharmacies next to the hydrogen peroxide that say Alcohol are NOT isopropyl alcohol, but are denatured alcohol. It is banned in Mexico because it is used in the production of methamphetamines (same reason you can not get pseudofed in Mexico). If you look it says desnaturalizado, ie denatured alcohol. The only isopropol alcohol in Mexico is the 99% at the computer stores for about 10 USD for cleaning computer parts.

jwallacq

Jul 23, 2015, 1:59 PM

Post #6 of 17 (15769 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TessSC] Where to buy Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing alcohol) ??

In case anyone is interested, I FINALLY did manage to locate Isopropyl alcohol (after about 3 months of fruitless searching).

I found it at a store in Playa del Carmen that was not an ordinary pharmacy, but more of a supplier for medical professionals. They sell stuff like stretchers, scalpels, forceps, supplies for paramedics, stethoscopes, beakers, test-tubes, ostomy & diabetic supplies, etc.

It was 99.5% instead of 91% or 70%, like they sell in the USA, but that's not a problem because it will be easy enough to dilute it down with distilled water.

Now if I could just find some stores that sell Cream-of-Wheat, scrapple, frozen baby Lima beans, solid albacore tuna, and reasonably-priced sharp cheddar cheese, I might be able to start feeling at-home here ;-)

skier14

Jul 23, 2015, 3:11 PM

Post #7 of 17 (15764 views)

Shortcut

If you want to feel-at-home, why are you in Mexico?

YucaLandia

Jul 24, 2015, 6:40 AM

Post #8 of 17 (15712 views)

Shortcut

Excellent !

You found what you needed in a place similar to what I considered proposing, but as I was in Colorado, I couldn't confirm whether Merida's group of chemical and medical suppliers would have it.

I was going to propose that you go down to the "street of chemicals" or "street of poisons" in Merida, but because I was in Colorado when you wrote, I could not confirm if those chemical dealers still had Isopropyl Alcohol.

For future reference, Merida has an "old market" - Mercado Lucas de Galvez - down at Calle 65 and Calle 54. Across the street from the "old market", on the east side of Calle 54, there are a group of veterinary and agricultural stores with a broad selection of garden and household chemicals.

At first glance that may not seem pertinent, as they may or may not have isopropyl alcohol, but if you then also go one more block east to Calle 54A, a short street, there are yet more shops with chemicals, and at the NW. end of that block there is a very good farmacia on the corner that has LOTS of bulk chemicals for sale: sulfur powders, boric acid, ~ alcohols ~ , epsom salts, etc etc etc. If they don't have it in stock, that farmacia has other sucursales nearby, and they shuttle missing items (by moto) over from the other stores within 20 minutes...

If you want things that the "street of chemicals" shops do not have, and that farmacia on 54A does not have it - then walk to the other (west) side of the market ... (Calle 56?) and find 2 more really big farmacias on NW and SW corners - opposite each other ... and the combination of these 2 offer yet more bulk chemicals, like sulfur powders, boric acid, ~ alcohols ~ , epsom salts, etc etc

Again, I did not reply earlier to your requests, because I could not confirm if this combination of 6-7 stores in a 2 block area would have what you want.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

La Isla

Jul 24, 2015, 7:59 AM

Post #9 of 17 (15695 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Where to buy Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing alcohol) ??

In Reply To

Bingo!

addtocart

Jul 24, 2015, 8:02 AM

Post #10 of 17 (15694 views)

Shortcut

Re: Where to buy Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing alcohol) ??

Can't Post |
I think when a poster puts a winky smiley face at the end of the post, it shouldn't be taken so seriously. Settle down.

La Isla

Jul 24, 2015, 8:26 AM

Post #11 of 17 (15686 views)

Shortcut

Re: [addtocart] Where to buy Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing alcohol) ??

In Reply To
I think when a poster puts a winky smiley face at the end of the post, it shouldn't be taken so seriously. Settle down.

I didn't see the winky smiley face at the end of jwallacq's post. It was the thought of such bland foods as cream of wheat and lima beans, when there is so much tastier food available in Mexico, that prompted my remark.

chinagringo

Jul 24, 2015, 8:36 AM

Post #12 of 17 (15685 views)

Shortcut

In your wildest dreams, would you have expected a 7 paragraph resonse to your question - especially after you found what you were looking for?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

addtocart

Jul 24, 2015, 8:52 AM

Post #13 of 17 (15681 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Where to buy Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing alcohol) ??

Can't Post |

In Reply To
In your wildest dreams, would you have expected a 7 paragraph resonse to your question - especially after you found what you were looking for?

I would have been surprised otherwise.

jwallacq

Jul 24, 2015, 2:16 PM

Post #14 of 17 (15635 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Where to buy Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing alcohol) ??

Thank you, Steve, for the detailed information. I'm sure it will come in handy in the future because I frequently find myself searching for weird off-beat stuff.

Actually, I had already tried a chemical supply house located in Chuburna, near the Instituto Tecnologico, that listed Isopropyl on their website. But when I went over, I found that they only had it in -- I forget exactly -- 10 gallon drums or some-such, which was a bit excessive since I only use about a pint per month.

Thanks again!
jw

joaquinx

Jul 25, 2015, 8:28 AM

Post #15 of 17 (15572 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

It's non-responses such as this one, that ruins a thread. Only a troll would post this.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

skier14

Jul 25, 2015, 10:12 AM

Post #16 of 17 (15552 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Where to buy Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing alcohol) ??

No troll here, but thanks for the scolding. In the 15 years I have lived in Mexico, I have adjusted to not having things that I liked NOB. Russet potatoes and canned kidney beans for example.

maryellen1952

Aug 20, 2015, 11:21 AM

Post #17 of 17 (14777 views)

Shortcut

I have found plenty of stores here in Baja that have russet potatoes including Walmart. Kidney beans (fresh) or (canned-yuk) I haven't found so buy those in the U.S.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4