Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DigYourself

Jul 15, 2015, 4:53 PM

Post #26 of 49 (5755 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] CFE bill seems high

Can't Post |
Perhaps CFE has not yet even physically read your meter and you have a surprise to look forward to. Have YOU compared the bill to your meter ?

chinagringo

Jul 15, 2015, 5:05 PM

Post #27 of 49 (5750 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] CFE bill seems high

Can't Post | Private Reply
I somewhat doubt that Electroventas would be willing to make a service call in San Jose de Gracia, Michoacan?

Why is it that people posting on MexConnect or other Mexico forums assume that everyone lives along the north shore of Lake Chapala? Believe it or not, there are numerous foreigners too smart for such an error in judgement!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

playaboy

Jul 16, 2015, 8:41 AM

Post #28 of 49 (5699 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] CFE bill seems high

In Reply To
I somewhat doubt that Electroventas would be willing to make a service call in San Jose de Gracia, Michoacan?

Why is it that people posting on MexConnect or other Mexico forums assume that everyone lives along the north shore of Lake Chapala? Believe it or not, there are numerous foreigners too smart for such an error in judgement!

Chinagringo, I couldn't agree more. Chapala is not the center of the universe.

rvgringo

Jul 16, 2015, 9:03 AM

Post #29 of 49 (5688 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] CFE bill seems high

Wow! I really screwed up! The end of the world, for sure. I must have not known which board I was addressing; or whom. I am, however amused by the childish repercussions of my shortcomings; considering the sources, though, makes it easier to accept.
Now, I‘ll hobble back to my rocking chair and dream of being back in Chapala, true center of the universe.

johanson

Jul 16, 2015, 10:03 AM

Post #30 of 49 (5680 views)

Shortcut

NO, I SHOUT :) Upper Ajijic is the center of the world. :) And we have the best weather in all of Mexico, (Every once in a while)
All kidding aside, with so many English speaking expats here, sadly very few of us learn to speak Spanish. And those of us who do, myself included, I would be speaking much better Spanish if we/I lived in areas less cluttered by fellow Gringos.
Oh well.

DavidHF

Jul 16, 2015, 6:18 PM

Post #31 of 49 (5642 views)

Shortcut

The OP lives in Michoacan!

YucaLandia

Jul 17, 2015, 5:33 AM

Post #32 of 49 (5604 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jeffie1] CFE bill seems high

In Reply To
Hi Steve: Both gaskets are not torn but are pulled away from sealing properly. The freezer door has about a 6 inch gap along the top and the refrigerator door has about a 4 inch gap on the top and 3 inch gap on the side that opens out. As you would expect, cool air can be felt escaping from the gaps when the doors are in the closed position.

Any additional info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Those kinds of gaps are easy for a homeowner to fix:
Cut manilla card stock or ordinary paper into rectangle that's about 3 in - 4 in longer than the gap. Create a paper wedge: Start folding the paper on a slight diagonal to make it thicker in the center and thinner at the ends, to get a final width of about 3/8 in to ½ inch wide. The final thickness of the paper wedge should be a little thicker than the size of the gap.

Flex the gasket out from the door, and slip the paper wedge behind the gasket right at the gap - to shim the gasket out to seal/touch the fridge frame. Use a hair dryer to warm-up the gasket (to soften the plastic/vinyl), and when the gasket's vinyl is warm and soft, close the door. The gasket should seal nicely - and as the vinyl cools, it takes the new form and should seal well for years.

If the gap is in a corner, make the folded paper longer than the gap, but after folding the long thin shim, fold the paper at a 45º angle in the middle - to make a thick corner of 90º. Insert the shim behind the gasket - and heat the gasket with the hairdryer.

steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jul 17, 2015, 5:36 AM)

jeffie1

Jul 17, 2015, 7:02 AM

Post #33 of 49 (5583 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] CFE bill seems high

Steve:

Te lo agradezco!

skier14

Jul 17, 2015, 4:01 PM

Post #34 of 49 (5535 views)

Shortcut

CFE just(yesterday) installed a new digital meter at my house in Tonala, Jalisco after several months of no meter due to a faulty one. After insallation the meter read 00000000. 24 hours later 00000018. I assum 18 KWH. Is this high, low or about average?

DigYourself

Jul 17, 2015, 4:47 PM

Post #35 of 49 (5530 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] CFE bill seems high

Can't Post |
Depends on where you live etc.

we live in zone 1, greater than 250 kwh/month for some period puts US in DAC (we lose all government subsidies).

18 * 30 = 540..

If you lived where we do you would be in DAC (over time).

You need to check the CFE website (which has the tables for DAC) or visit the local CFE office for an explanation. Your Zone is on your bill

(We put in a PV system - average bill 26 pesos/month)

DigYourself

Jul 17, 2015, 5:22 PM

Post #36 of 49 (5516 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
The digital meters can result in a 15% increase.p

sioux4noff

Jul 17, 2015, 10:11 PM

Post #37 of 49 (5495 views)

Shortcut

It's summer, could you be using fans more? Running more water because of additional showers (so pump runs more). Also fridge and freezer have to work harder in hotter weather.

DigYourself

Jul 18, 2015, 5:39 AM

Post #38 of 49 (5483 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Do you have a pool ? When we first moved into our house I ran the pool pump just as I did back in the States - 8 hours a day, every day. CFE sent 2 'engineer' type people who performed an energy survey and turns out the pool pump was 1/2 of our consumption. I have since cut it back to 4 hours a week - just enough to keep the pool clean and circulate the chemistry.

btw - for you - the good news is I believe it takes a rolling 12 month average which results in excessive usage to enter DAC. The bad news is I looked at a CFE map and it 'looks' like you are in Zone 1 as well.

jeffie1

Jul 18, 2015, 8:01 AM

Post #39 of 49 (5462 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] CFE bill seems high

Hi Sioux:

Thank you for the comment but our temperature has been running from 59 to 80 degrees so no fans or extra showers has been needed. I strongly suspect my refrigerator as being the energy hog and am taking measures to correct gasket leaks .............that cause the compressor to run much to often.
Jeff

jeffie1

Jul 18, 2015, 8:08 AM

Post #40 of 49 (5459 views)

Shortcut

Cuerna....No pool here but thanks for the heads-up.

Can you tell me what a PV system is please? Is the 25 pesos per month for that system?

Muchas Gracias,
Jeff

johanson

Jul 18, 2015, 10:04 AM

Post #41 of 49 (5445 views)

Shortcut

I had to go to Google and look up PV system too, because I was not familiar with that system only to learn that my electrical solar panels are often referred to as a "PV system" where PV stands for photo-voltaic system.
Using my new term, I have had a PV system since 2008 and in my case where I consume a great deal of electricity and where I always had to pay the DAC rate, it made economic sense to install such a system. All I can say about your situation is your bill is quite small and your rates are so subsidized by the Government that it would not make economic sense to install a PV system.

DigYourself

Jul 18, 2015, 10:22 AM

Post #42 of 49 (5439 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] CFE bill seems high

Can't Post |
But my post was directed to skier who - if he is going to consume 18 kwh/day very well might be interested in a 'PV System'.

Maesonna

Jul 18, 2015, 11:56 AM

Post #43 of 49 (5424 views)

Shortcut

We just got our first CFE bill since switching from energy-saving light bulbs (the fluorescent kind with the coil-shaped bulb) to LED light bulbs, and it was about 30% lower than it has been for all the past years.

Nothing else has changed, so we can only think that it must have been the bulbs. I found it surprising, because we are not ones to turn on all our lights and leave them on. But there you have it.

johanson

Jul 18, 2015, 12:25 PM

Post #44 of 49 (5419 views)

Shortcut

Sorry Cuerna1. I was answering jeffie1's first question and then rather than answering his 2nd question about the 25 pesos per month I answered the wrong question for the wrong person.

Remember though that there are 7 tariff zones. And in zones 1C and above the government subsidy makes it more difficult to justify getting a PV system at todays prices for the person mentioned above. Shown below is a quote from the CFE regulations, showing how many KWH per month you can consume and still get a subsidy before going onto the DAC rates which is dependent upon your location in Mexico

El límite de alto consumo se define en función de la tarifa doméstica:
Tarifa 1, 250KWH/mes. Tarifa 1A, 300 KWH/mes. Tarifa 1B, 400 KWH/mes. Tarifa 1C, 850 KWH/mes, Tarifa 1D, 1000KWH/mes, Tarifa 1E, 2000KWH/mes & Tarifa 1F, 2,500 KWH/mes

Now, I shall now, hopefully answer Jeffie1's question about the $25 pesos per month.
First, with a PV system I stopped getting billed every other month and began to receive a bill once each month. And according to CFE, whether you use any of their electricity or not, your minimum charge is for 25 KWH per month. And at the highly subsidized rate for low usage my bill equates in my case to about $24 pesos per month.

(This post was edited by johanson on Jul 18, 2015, 12:40 PM)

DigYourself

Jul 18, 2015, 12:37 PM

Post #45 of 49 (5414 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] CFE bill seems high

Can't Post |
Sorry - I'm happy you are happy - but before everyone runs out and switches out the CFL bulbs for LED bulbs - everything I have read on the topic suggests it is not worth it - not until the cost of the LED bulbs comes down. Perhaps you are not comparing apples to apples - perhaps the number of billing days are not the same ?

Moving from the incandescent to LED makes a little more sense - particularly for security lighting which remains on all night.

Let's see if you are still excited after a few more billing cycles.

Here's one article which seems representative :
http://www.theenergycollective.com/...eally-save-you-money

Maesonna

Jul 18, 2015, 12:46 PM

Post #46 of 49 (5410 views)

Shortcut

Interesting. Our billing period is the same as always, so that wasn’t a factor.

I’d describe my emotions as “surprised” more than “excited”. With this cost saving, we have even less incentive for considering a PV system (which I would like to explore, but my “better half” is not interested in).

DigYourself

Jul 18, 2015, 12:52 PM

Post #47 of 49 (5408 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] CFE bill seems high

Can't Post |
johanson :

Since installing our PV system nearly a year ago now we continue to receive bi-monthly statements and each has been for between 50-52 pesos (25-26/month). We currently have a credit balance of 499 kwh (rainy season). But - we live in an isolated community and I'm sure they read our meter when they read everyone else's. When we look at the bill the 25 pesos is purely in the administrative fees - with no mention at all of a minimum kwh usage. I read the same sentence you mention (about a minimum kwh charge) on the CFE site - but that is simply not true here in Morales anyway.

We figure we will break even in our panel investment after about 6 years - and in the mean time we don't have to worry about DAC or the possible increase in rates from CFE. Besides - its kind of neat when you think about it.

YucaLandia

Jul 18, 2015, 5:42 PM

Post #48 of 49 (5373 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
CFE just(yesterday) installed a new digital meter at my house in Tonala, Jalisco after several months of no meter due to a faulty one. After insallation the meter read 00000000. 24 hours later 00000018. I assum 18 KWH. Is this high, low or about average?

18 kWh per day translates to 1080 kWh per 2 month CFE billing cycle.

That's a reasonable power usage (½) as compared NOB lifestyles, since typical NOB household usage for 2 months is 2000 kWh.
... https://www.pointclickswitch.com/household-energy-consumption/
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

skier14

Jul 18, 2015, 8:00 PM

Post #49 of 49 (5349 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] CFE bill seems high

Thanks for info regarding rate being not that bad. I will be reading the meter every day for a while and try to reduce usage. Last 24 hr. period was 10 kwh. I think that we have been spoiled by not having a meter for almost a year.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4