Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jeffie1

Jul 13, 2015, 1:41 PM

Post #1 of 49 (7231 views)

Shortcut

CFE bill seems high

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello: Our electric bill seems to be creeping up. Last one was 571 pesos for 2 months. It is still pretty cheap and well within budget but around 100 pesos a month higher then neighbors....... that have more juice consuming electrical items. We thought maybe someone had tapped into our meter for a free ride and called an electrician to take a look...... which proved to be a dead end pointing back to our consumption.

Here is all we have plugged in: Refrigerator, washing machine, a desk top computer and a laptop computer (unplugged overnight), 2 printers (turned off and rarely used) and a CD player, a couple of desk lamps and, of course, light bulbs through out the house. We

As I am approaching the highest rate level, which holds you there for 12 months, I'm getting concerned.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

rvgringo

Jul 13, 2015, 3:07 PM

Post #2 of 49 (7198 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jeffie1] CFE bill seems high

Be sure that all your light bulbs are CFL, or LED for best economy. Refrigerator coils should be dusted off every six months and there is no need to keep computers turned on if you aren‘t using them, is there? Any chargers plugged in all the time? They create heat and are parasitic, as are older TV sets, etc. Check those outside lights which may go un-noticed in the daytime.
It is KwH usage that will put you into DAC, not the increasing peso cost due to price hikes.

YucaLandia

Jul 13, 2015, 7:53 PM

Post #3 of 49 (7160 views)

Shortcut

Did your area just change rates? Where do you live?

Have you compared your kWh usage per bill with the other billing cycles?

What kWh usages have you had the last 6 months?

What kWh usages have your neighbors bills shown the last 6 months?
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

DigYourself

Jul 14, 2015, 3:43 AM

Post #4 of 49 (7132 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Did you get a new meter ? The new digital meters are more 'exact'.

You can call CFE and ask for a free energy audit.

jeffie1

Jul 14, 2015, 5:54 AM

Post #5 of 49 (7113 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] CFE bill seems high

RV: Thanks for the tips. No increase in rates for my area that I can discern from my bill.

Yuca: I only have 2 bills and are in our 3rd billing cycle. Maybe 2 statements isn't enough to make a valid analysis. The kWh for 7 weeks on the 1st bill is 306 kWh and the 2nd bill for 8 weeks is 349 kWh. I live in San Jose de Gracia, Michoacan. No rate increases that I can see for the 2 billing cycles. My neighbor has the same type items plugged in......plus, a micro wave oven (used daily), 2 flat screen TV's (both on all day long), and a satellite dish. His recent bill was 421 pesos (kWh unknown). Thanks for your comments.
Jeff

playaboy

Jul 14, 2015, 6:02 AM

Post #6 of 49 (7106 views)

Shortcut

Here is my amateur way of checking.

Try tuning off all the circuit breakers to the house. The electric meter should not be spinning. If it is, you have either 1) something wrong with the wiring or 2) someone else on your meter.

If the meter is at a dead stop then turn on one circuit breaker and check how fast the meter is spinning. If it is spinning quickly than pull the plug to each item on that breaker until you find the energy hog. Or it could be bad wiring on that breaker if everything has been disconnected and the meter still spins.

Good luck

rvgringo

Jul 14, 2015, 1:02 PM

Post #7 of 49 (7042 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] CFE bill seems high

One more thing to check: I am sure that you have a water pump. If you have a pressure system, is it cycling normally or is it coming on every time you open a faucet? If the latter, your tank needs the air pressure adjusted and/or your controller shoulc be checked. Pressure switches often go bad too. Anything that causes the pump to start too often will increase your CFE bill, since starting consumption for motors is higher than running consumption.

travelerjjm

Jul 14, 2015, 3:03 PM

Post #8 of 49 (7015 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] CFE bill seems high

An older refrigerator can cause high usage as can the pump as noted. I'd clean the fridge coils every month or two if you get any dust or pet hair around that area of the house. If you hear the compressor running a lot it could be the cause, much as if the water pump runs a lot. Also check the door gasket and replace if necessary, If the compressor runs a lot and you've cleaned the coils, it may need servicing or replacement.

Ensure that your computers have power-saving modes turned on, although they are unlikely to be significant contributors. LEDs will help if you use your lights a lot.

There are some devices designed to prevent power surges for computers and such that I understand have an excessive current draw for some reason.

DigYourself

Jul 14, 2015, 3:34 PM

Post #9 of 49 (7008 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Actually - if my math is correct - and you have properly presented you situation then you are spending less than 20 USD/month.

What exactly is your issue ?

CozICan

Jul 14, 2015, 3:53 PM

Post #10 of 49 (7003 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] CFE bill seems high

cuerna1... Actually, from the beginning of this thread I have been wondering the same thing. His bill seems to be pretty reasonable to me.

jeffie1

Jul 14, 2015, 4:03 PM

Post #11 of 49 (7002 views)

Shortcut

"It is still pretty cheap and well within budget but around 100 pesos a month higher then neighbors".

As I stated in my original posting. What don't you understand about my "issue"?

playaboy

Jul 14, 2015, 6:30 PM

Post #12 of 49 (6978 views)

Shortcut

Maybe your neighbor has electric sockets that are off the meter. That is not uncommon in Mexico.

jeffie1

Jul 14, 2015, 6:55 PM

Post #13 of 49 (6974 views)

Shortcut

RV, Playa & Traveler....All great tips. Thank you for comments.

cbviajero

Jul 14, 2015, 8:13 PM

Post #14 of 49 (6955 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Maybe your neighbor has electric sockets that are off the meter. That is not uncommon in Mexico.

When my neighbors moved my CFE bills went down by 50 percent,go figure...

rvgringo

Jul 15, 2015, 9:12 AM

Post #15 of 49 (6903 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] CFE bill seems high

That situation leads to a suspicion that the neighbor detected the location of your home‘s outlets on a shared wall, drilled into his side and tapped into the wiring to your outlets. Pretty easy to do.

cbviajero

Jul 15, 2015, 9:47 AM

Post #16 of 49 (6891 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] CFE bill seems high

In Reply To
That situation leads to a suspicion that the neighbor detected the location of your home‘s outlets on a shared wall, drilled into his side and tapped into the wiring to your outlets. Pretty easy to do.

Yep,the former owner of my house had a "diablito" installed which I removed,the neighbors were his compadres and I suppose they shared the "discount".

addtocart

Jul 15, 2015, 10:34 AM

Post #17 of 49 (6877 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] CFE bill seems high

Can't Post |

In Reply To

In Reply To

Yep,the former owner of my house had a "diablito" installed which I removed,the neighbors were his compadres and I suppose they shared the "discount".

The only one, I wonder?

DigYourself

Jul 15, 2015, 12:48 PM

Post #18 of 49 (6856 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Well Jeffrey - this is what I don't understand.

"Hello: Our electric bill seems to be creeping up."

You have received two CFE bills :

"The kWh for 7 weeks on the 1st bill is 306 kWh and the 2nd bill for 8 weeks is 349 kWh."

306 / 7 = 43
349 / 8 = 43

Where is the creep ?

Look at your bill - there is a breakdown of the graduated kWh cost. When you consume more than 'basic' the cost goes up accordingly. So on a bill that is for 8 weeks may push some of your kWh's into a higher 'cell' on the price grid.

btw - you can't get a bill for less than 52 pesos (admin fee) for a two month period.

jeffie1

Jul 15, 2015, 1:11 PM

Post #19 of 49 (6845 views)

Shortcut

Good point Cuerna! Thank you for pointing out the error of my thought process. I received many good tips on what to watch for regarding excessive electrical consumption. Perhaps those tips helped other readers of this thread as well. So......I'll go into "new expat time-out" and think about what I have done.

A little roughage in your diet might help that condescending attitude.

DigYourself

Jul 15, 2015, 1:13 PM

Post #20 of 49 (6838 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
To me - you came across as the one with the attitude.

Can we play a game ? Canadian (or maybe close to the Canadian border ?)

jeffie1

Jul 15, 2015, 1:41 PM

Post #21 of 49 (6828 views)

Shortcut

Re: [travelerjjm] CFE bill seems high

Traveler: I checked my refrigerator today and the coils were quite dirty. Also, I need a new gasket on both doors right away. The compressor has probably been cycling on much to often. Thanks again for the advice. Jeff

travelerjjm

Jul 15, 2015, 1:47 PM

Post #22 of 49 (6824 views)

Shortcut

Glad to be of help. I hope that saves you some money.

YucaLandia

Jul 15, 2015, 2:58 PM

Post #23 of 49 (6803 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Traveler: I checked my refrigerator today and the coils were quite dirty. Also, I need a new gasket on both doors right away. The compressor has probably been cycling on much to often. Thanks again for the advice. Jeff

That's good news! (in a sort of backwards way)

There are several easy ways to fix leaking gaskets on a fridge door, without replacing it, if it is not torn ...

(paper wedge behind the gasket + hair dryer heating to soften the gasket to take and hold the new shape - works for decades to close gaps)

I can describe more if you're interested.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

jeffie1

Jul 15, 2015, 3:13 PM

Post #24 of 49 (6800 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] CFE bill seems high

Hi Steve: Both gaskets are not torn but are pulled away from sealing properly. The freezer door has about a 6 inch gap along the top and the refrigerator door has about a 4 inch gap on the top and 3 inch gap on the side that opens out. As you would expect, cool air can be felt escaping from the gaps when the doors are in the closed position.

Any additional info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

rvgringo

Jul 15, 2015, 4:39 PM

Post #25 of 49 (6781 views)

Shortcut

I suggest that you call Electroventas in Riberas. They can replace gaskets and adjust the doors & level the refrigerator so that everything seats properly.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4