Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

mextraveler15

Jul 10, 2015, 4:11 PM

Post #1 of 10 (8541 views)

Shortcut

Passport for kids

Can't Post | Private Reply
We will be traveling to Mexico soon and while there taking a plane trip from Mexico City to Merida, Yucatan. Will my kids need a passport to travel on plane within Mexico or can I provide their birth certificate? Thank you for your help.

chicois8

Jul 10, 2015, 5:29 PM

Post #2 of 10 (8530 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mextraveler15] Passport for kids

might help to know their nationality..........but I do not believe anyone needs a passport for domestic travel.......
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

mextraveler15

Jul 10, 2015, 5:41 PM

Post #3 of 10 (8527 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Passport for kids

Thank you for your reply. They were all born in U.S. I was thinking that maybe I can just show their birth certificates.

In Reply To

RickS

Jul 10, 2015, 7:27 PM

Post #4 of 10 (8518 views)

Shortcut

You said, "We will be traveling to Mexico soon..."

If this means that you are not in Mexico now, and plan to go back 'into the US later', then the kids will have to have a Passport. No one gets to come back into the US these days, walking flying or driving, without a Passport.

chicois8

Jul 10, 2015, 8:35 PM

Post #5 of 10 (8511 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Passport for kids

In Reply To
You said, "We will be traveling to Mexico soon..."

If this means that you are not in Mexico now, and plan to go back 'into the US later', then the kids will have to have a Passport. No one gets to come back into the US these days, walking flying or driving, without a Passport.

Disagree, an American Citizen can enter by walking across a border with a birth certificate and photo ID.......
San Mateo, California

RickS

Jul 10, 2015, 8:37 PM

Post #6 of 10 (8509 views)

Shortcut

Walking, but not driving or flying, right?

chicois8

Jul 10, 2015, 8:51 PM

Post #7 of 10 (8508 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Passport for kids

Rick,you wrote:t. No one gets to come back into the US these days, walking flying or driving, without a Passport.

I wrote: walking but although I would not want to try it I would be willing to bet I could drive in also with out a passport...you do not need a passport to enter Mexico if staying in a border zone for less than 72 hours either........
San Mateo, California

playaboy

Jul 11, 2015, 6:16 AM

Post #8 of 10 (8491 views)

Shortcut

Disagree, an American Citizen can enter by walking across a border with a birth certificate and photo ID.......

CBP frowns upon US citizens entering the USA with anything other than a passport. While walking across, I have twice seen people in front of me get sternly warned about not having passports or passport cards. The officer told them they now have a notation on their records. I believe these people were just "day" tourist visiting bordertowns.

CBP can not refuse citizens entry into the USA but they can make your life difficult.

rvgringo

Jul 11, 2015, 10:26 AM

Post #9 of 10 (8474 views)

Shortcut

I assume that your children have US passports and Mexican INM documents. If not, go to the US Consulate and apply for them ASAP. For domestic travel, they will need their INM documents, like anyone else. For international travel, passports are a must.

carlw

Jul 21, 2015, 3:58 PM

Post #10 of 10 (8349 views)

Shortcut

U.S. Federal Law absolutely requires a Passport for re-entry if you have been out of the U.S, even for just a few minutes. Failure to have one can subject you to all kinds of questioning and delays, at the whim of the agent. I use a passport card for walking across, Passport for flying.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4