Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

ski

Jul 8, 2015, 9:46 PM

Post #1 of 22 (10324 views)

Shortcut

Building a Kitchen for New Home

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am sure that this has been touched upon before, but upon searching the posts I did not find exactly what I was looking for. I am building a kitchen for an apartment I recently bought in Mexico City. I know there are many people in this forum who have property in Mexico and I am interested to find out what kind of appliances they are using (most importantly cooking ranges). I am familiar with the companies that are more common in Mexico such as Mabe, IEM, and others, but I am not thrilled with these oven/stoves. I would bring a range unit from the States, but am concerned about service in case anything breaks down. Who knows which companies/appliances are best for Mexico? Please give me any feedback, either positive or negative, I appreciate your help in advance! Thanks,

DigYourself

Jul 9, 2015, 3:29 AM

Post #2 of 22 (10314 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ski] Building a Kitchen for New Home

Can't Post |
We have Gaggrnau.
http://www.gaggenau.com/us/
They are in Mexico City.

YucaLandia

Jul 9, 2015, 5:10 AM

Post #3 of 22 (10304 views)

Shortcut

We've been happy with the Mabé we've used for the past 8 years, but it requires 3 little tricks.

1. The Mabé burners only appear to allowing them be turned down to a still modest gas flow that causes braised things to boil over (still too much gas flow). If instead, you light the burner, and then slowly turn the gas control knob (clockwise) past the highest setting in the direction of "OFF", the gas flow then drops gradually as you approach "OFF". This allows us to braise-away at very slow boils using very low, but well controlled flames.

2. Most Mabé stoves do not have temperatures displayed on the oven knob. Since the oven temperatures on most stove knobs are wrong/inaccurate anyway, we instead use a little oven thermometer to display the temp, and remember the knob positions that give 200º (warming oven), 325º, 350º, 375º etc.

3. Rather than continuously heating our already-hot Merida homes with an oven pilot light, and wasting gas 24/7, our Mabé has a little access hole for lighting the oven pilot light - which means the oven pilot light is lit by the operator, and is only ON when it is needed.

Surprisingly, unlike our American and LG (and family's Bosch stainless steel) appliances that have rusted miserably, the Mabé has not rusted, even here in hot humid Merida. ... Oddly, the expensive Bosch stove's I've worked on here also have failed ignitors, while the Mabé continues to cook along fine ...

Maybe the Mexican stoves use materials that are better designed for Mexican conditions?

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jul 9, 2015, 5:13 AM)

CozICan

Jul 9, 2015, 8:11 AM

Post #4 of 22 (10269 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Building a Kitchen for New Home

Steve... In regards to your three tricks with your Mabe Range....I bought a Mabe range when I redid my Kitchen 6 years ago. In regards to the oven temperature control, my oven control is marked in Celsius and is actually quite accurate, I check it with an oven thermometer all of the time. My friend bought a new Mabe range a couple of years back and it does not have the thermostat control. I was just lucky that I picked the one that I did.

I regards to the flame on the top burners, after you have the flame turn the knob back towards the off position slowly and you can control the flame height right down to nothing.... Try it..... Someone had to show me this as well.

In regards to having to light the oven manually, this must be a Mexican law. I have been in condos with American brand appliances and even the Whirlpool oven had to be lit by hand. I am assuming it is a safety issue.

morgaine7

Jul 9, 2015, 8:52 AM

Post #5 of 22 (10256 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozICan] Building a Kitchen for New Home

In regards to having to light the oven manually, this must be a Mexican law. I have been in condos with American brand appliances and even the Whirlpool oven had to be lit by hand. I am assuming it is a safety issue.

Interesting. My Bosch LP range, manufactured in Brazil/Mexico and purchased in La Paz in 2007, has electronic ignition for both burners and oven, though it can be lit manually in the event of power failure.

ski

Jul 9, 2015, 9:51 AM

Post #6 of 22 (10232 views)

Shortcut

Thank you Yuclandia and Cuerna1 for your responses. I have experience with the Mabe range; my problem with its oven is that I do a lot of pastry cooking and I need a convection oven. The Mabe, like most conventional gas ovens, has hot spots which make it very difficult to do advanced baking. I am a professional cook, so I also would want a nice broiler in the oven. And being that Mexico City is 8,000 feet above sea level, I am already having to re-consider recipes that will be absolutely futile in standard ovens... Any additional feedback is welcome! Thanks

ski

Jul 9, 2015, 9:58 AM

Post #7 of 22 (10228 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] Building a Kitchen for New Home

I checked the website for Gaggenau. I've never heard of this company. Are you happy with your range? What model do you have? Thanks...

DigYourself

Jul 9, 2015, 10:28 AM

Post #8 of 22 (10212 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Sorry - I have no idea about model numbers. The entire kitchen is Gaggenau except the microwave and refrigerator. Everything is stainless. The dishwasher is absolutely the quietest we have EVER had - and in the States we had the top of the line 'quiet' GE appliance. We have an oven and the stove has two gas burners, an electric griddle like thing and 4 electric burners. Then there is an electric vent over the stove area to the outside.

The previous owners were German and took cooking very seriously. The woman spared no expense in remodeling the kitchen (all of which is a little lost on us). I'm not sure you can get better stuff. The Gaggenau people in Mexico City were very helpful in instructing my wife (over the phone) on how everything worked. We have not had an ounce of trouble with the stuff (in nearly two years).

rvgringo

Jul 9, 2015, 10:49 AM

Post #9 of 22 (10204 views)

Shortcut

We bought an Acros six burner range with oven, but it was hard to find the more elaborate model. Ours could be identified by having two oven racks, instead of only one in the cheaper models, and it also had a broiler below the oven. The “comal“ griddle was also heavy and cast, rather than the stamped sheet metal ones on the cheaper models. There was one inteligent burner that could be used for timed cooking, as well as a gas safety shut-off to prevent children from turning on the gas with the front-mounted knobs. That last feature can be disabled, if you wish. I did that at installation, as we have no toddlers about.
Yes, most of the stove sold are the lower end models, especially in rentals or if the owner is not knowledgeble about what can be found. The better models really don‘t cost very much more, and are well worth the small difference; especially getting decent oven control thermostatically, instead of just by flame height setting on a numbered knob. Look for degrees labeled on the oven knob. That, along with a heavy cast comal, multiple oven racks and a broiler, should indicate a good choice among any of the common brands, but they will be harder to find.

ski

Jul 9, 2015, 11:36 AM

Post #10 of 22 (10194 views)

Shortcut

LOL ok thanks! Looking online, it seems that Gaggenau is one of the best brands for kitchenware. It may be a little outside my budget, but sounds like you have a wonderful kitchen! Thank you for your feedback...

ski

Jul 9, 2015, 2:09 PM

Post #11 of 22 (10165 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Building a Kitchen for New Home

Thank you for your feedback in helping me decide on which stove/oven unit to purchase. I researched Acros and most of the reviews were pretty negative, it is likely that your model is better than the average ones discussed online.

rvgringo

Jul 9, 2015, 4:24 PM

Post #12 of 22 (10135 views)

Shortcut

Possibly so. We bought it in 2004 when we remodeled our Chapala home, and it performed perfectly for the ten years until we sold the house in late 2014. As far as I know, it is still just fine.
We had a Mabe, lower end model with the glass cover, in an earlier home in Ajijic. It was terrible for baking, as the oven was difficult to contol. Once lit, you could turn it up to a guessed setting, but if it exceeded that, turning it down would extinguish the burner. Temperature varied a lot in that one.

esperanza

Jul 11, 2015, 5:50 AM

Post #13 of 22 (10026 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I am sure that this has been touched upon before, but upon searching the posts I did not find exactly what I was looking for. I am building a kitchen for an apartment I recently bought in Mexico City. I know there are many people in this forum who have property in Mexico and I am interested to find out what kind of appliances they are using (most importantly cooking ranges). I am familiar with the companies that are more common in Mexico such as Mabe, IEM, and others, but I am not thrilled with these oven/stoves. I would bring a range unit from the States, but am concerned about service in case anything breaks down. Who knows which companies/appliances are best for Mexico? Please give me any feedback, either positive or negative, I appreciate your help in advance! Thanks,

I've had a MABE stove for the last 10 years. It's a model that is unfortunately no longer available, but you might find something comparable.

This stove has a capelo (the glass cover), two large super-burners, two small regular burners, and a center comal. The stovetop is stainless steel and the body of the stove is porcelain. It has electronic ignition for the stovetop and for the oven. The burners turn far enough down to slowly simmer whatever you like, and far enough up to properly and rapidly sear a steak. The oven temperature gauge is marked in degrees Celsius and the oven consistently holds the temperature you choose, whether for a slow braise or for a fast pizza.

MABE makes extra-heavy cast iron burner grills; several years after I bought this stove, I decided that I really needed these. When I bought them, MABE was only able to find two in their Guadalajara storerooms. I decided that I would use them on the side burners and leave the comal burner as it was. It was the right decision.

Tell your MABE dealer that you want to look at something comparable to Model #EM3061. Mine is empotrable (installs by sliding onto a base between cabinets); MABE also makes self-standing models with legs. You need to know which you will use in your kitchen.

The stove is ten years old; a repairman came once, about five years ago, and did a checkup: no problems before or since. Or ever. Best stove I've ever owned at the best price.

YMMV of course.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jul 11, 2015, 6:01 AM)

ski

Jul 11, 2015, 9:56 AM

Post #14 of 22 (9986 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Building a Kitchen for New Home

Haha yes! I have attempted to bake many items in a Mabe oven and the results have varied greatly! It is a very moody/erratic oven...so you understand my frustration and concern in selecting the right appliance lol...thanks for your input

ski

Jul 11, 2015, 9:58 AM

Post #15 of 22 (9985 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Building a Kitchen for New Home

Thank you for your help. Yes, I think the Mabe brand has many varying standards of ranges. I will definitely check that specific model out and see if it is still available. Thanks again...

YucaLandia

Jul 11, 2015, 10:08 AM

Post #16 of 22 (9978 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thank you for your help. Yes, I think the Mabe brand has many varying standards of ranges. I will definitely check that specific model out and see if it is still available. Thanks again...

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head - as to why some of us like our Mabe's and others not-so-much:
Buy a cheap stove then deal with an inconsistent oven and other (small?) issues, or buy a more expensive stove with better components and a better oven.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jul 11, 2015, 10:12 AM)

chinagringo

Jul 11, 2015, 3:43 PM

Post #17 of 22 (9943 views)

Shortcut

ski:

Amazon has a good assortment of high altitude baking cookbooks. We have the following and have been quite successfull with recipes found in it:
http://www.amazon.com/...high+altitude+baking

Have fun with the learning curve!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by chinagringo on Jul 11, 2015, 3:44 PM)

ski

Jul 11, 2015, 10:14 PM

Post #18 of 22 (9913 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Building a Kitchen for New Home

Neil, thank you for your high altitude cookbook recommendation!! I actually already have that book! It is very helpful for cities like Mexico City, unfortunately not helpful without a reliable oven! LOL...Let me know if you have any advice regarding range units/stoves/ovens in Mexico City! Thanks...

chinagringo

Jul 12, 2015, 5:09 AM

Post #19 of 22 (9899 views)

Shortcut

Good luck on the stove/oven issue!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

esperanza

Jul 12, 2015, 9:09 PM

Post #20 of 22 (9837 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Neil, thank you for your high altitude cookbook recommendation!! I actually already have that book! It is very helpful for cities like Mexico City, unfortunately not helpful without a reliable oven! LOL...Let me know if you have any advice regarding range units/stoves/ovens in Mexico City! Thanks...

Ski, I live in Mexico City. Wanna come over and see my stove?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

salto_jorge

Jul 29, 2015, 2:13 PM

Post #21 of 22 (9362 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Building a Kitchen for New Home

When we use the MABE 's oven the sides get so hot we are afraid of it catching something on fire.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jul 29, 2015, 2:39 PM)

rvgringo

Jul 29, 2015, 2:45 PM

Post #22 of 22 (9356 views)

Shortcut

Re: [salto_jorge] Building a Kitchen for New Home

In typical Mexican homes, the cupboards were usually made of concrete, with wodden faces and doors. As such, they were rather fireproof and the cheaper stoves have little or no insulation in their sides. Now, with some builders using off the shelf cabinetry of wood-based materials, it might make one wonder if a new stove with insulation might be in order. That said, I am unaware of any fires having started while baking a pie, so it may not be as bad as it seems. Just keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen; always a good idea anyway.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4