Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

rlysens

Jul 5, 2015, 12:40 PM

Post #1 of 16 (8954 views)

Shortcut

importing a less than 1yr old nafta vehicle

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi all,

I was hoping I could hang on to my car using a TIP when we move to Mexico. As it turns out, you can't do that if you're getting a work permit.
So now I have to figure out what to do with the car. Our car is less than one year old (stupid stupid stupid - was unaware of these restrictions when getting the car) and was built in the US.
Is it possible to import this car? I've seen age requirements but they appear to be changing.
If it is possible to import the car, what would the cost be: import duty, taxes, customs broker...?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ruben.

TedZar

Jul 5, 2015, 2:49 PM

Post #2 of 16 (8930 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rlysens] importing a less than 1yr old nafta vehicle

Where are you living. On Baja, no problem. Don't need a TIP.
Elsewhere, probably a real problem.

rlysens

Jul 5, 2015, 2:51 PM

Post #3 of 16 (8928 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TedZar] importing a less than 1yr old nafta vehicle

We'll be living in Sayulita, Nayarit.
/Ruben.

rvgringo

Jul 5, 2015, 4:31 PM

Post #4 of 16 (8909 views)

Shortcut

It looks like you are out of luck. Mexico sells nice cars, but you will have to bite the bullet and sell yours in the USA.

rlysens

Jul 5, 2015, 5:28 PM

Post #5 of 16 (8898 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] importing a less than 1yr old nafta vehicle

That's a real bummer. First time I actually spent money on a nice car, I'm going to end up owning it for less than a year :-(
Oh well, so be it. A good test of our resolve. I'm sure there's a lot more bullet-biting coming our way before we get settled in Sayulita...

/Ruben.

chinagringo

Jul 5, 2015, 5:34 PM

Post #6 of 16 (8897 views)

Shortcut

Since you use the term we, I can only assume there are more than one of you? Does your plan require that both get work permits? if not, then how about looking at the other getting either a 180 day tourist (which requires exiting every 180 days) or a temporal which would then allow for the vehicle to be in Mexico while keeping a valid TIP?

Then you can keep your fingers crossed that they might revise the nationalization rules at some point while you new one year old vehicle gains some of that fine ageing!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

sparks

Jul 6, 2015, 1:12 PM

Post #7 of 16 (8814 views)

Shortcut

A temporal with a work permit can't bring in a car ??

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

rvgringo

Jul 6, 2015, 2:09 PM

Post #8 of 16 (8804 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] importing a less than 1yr old nafta vehicle

No; nor could the one with the work permit, Residente Permanente, or Mexican, drive the foreign plated car without the owner/importer in the vehicle. So, it would allow the car to be in Mexico and used by the spouse, but the “worker“ might still have to consider buying a car in Mexico.

YucaLandia

Jul 6, 2015, 6:02 PM

Post #9 of 16 (8777 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] importing a less than 1yr old nafta vehicle

In Reply To
A temporal with a work permit can't bring in a car ??

As an extension of the old FM2/Inmigrante policy prohibiting TIP cars for lucrativa visas, INM has not allowed working Residente Temporal (RT) visa holders to have TIP cars since Nov. 2012.

The OP could either sell the car at a border ... sell it to another RT at a border ... pay a professional like Playaboy to take the car to a border ... or possibly permanently import it for 45% duties.

See more details on these things, and other options at: Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico

-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

RickS

Jul 6, 2015, 6:40 PM

Post #10 of 16 (8768 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] importing a less than 1yr old nafta vehicle

So could the working permit spouse of a non-working Temporal or Tourist Visa person not drive a TIP car belonging to said, aka the ability of a Permanente driving the TIP car of a spouse Temporal? Is this spelled out specifically 'somewhere'?

YucaLandia

Jul 6, 2015, 7:09 PM

Post #11 of 16 (8765 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] importing a less than 1yr old nafta vehicle

Fortunately, Aduana policy has been constant and consistent on this for at least 10 years:

Article 106 of the Ley Aduanera continues to specify that immediate family members and spouses qualify to drive the Temporarily Import Permit (ed) vehicle of a valid TIP holder.

Copies of Article 106, Fracción IV (in English for us, and Spanish for the Mexican popos to read) can be found at:
~ Copy of Article 106 to Carry in Your Car

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

RickS

Jul 6, 2015, 7:23 PM

Post #12 of 16 (8762 views)

Shortcut

Yea, familiar with 106, but.....

Does it address the situation of a 'working permit' holder. Specifically can the holder of a working permit visa drive the TIP car of a spouse (a spouse who meets all the qualifications to have the TIP in the first place... i.e. not a Permanente or working-permit visa holder but rather a Temporal or tourist card holder). THAT's the question.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jul 6, 2015, 7:42 PM)

Camille

Jul 8, 2015, 1:51 PM

Post #13 of 16 (8661 views)

Shortcut

Trust me, you DO NOT!!!! want to be driving a nice new car in Sayulita! I live just down the road and go there frequently. First of all, there's NO place to park, tons of dust, sea air, etc. Can't do better than a used Honda CRV imo. You can get parts and work done absolutely anywhere!

YucaLandia

Jul 8, 2015, 2:23 PM

Post #14 of 16 (8654 views)

Shortcut

Fortunately, Article 106 of Mexican Aduana law is clear on this: Any/all licensed spouses of valid TIP holders qualify to drive the TIP vehicle.

Specifically: If a TIP holder has a valid Aduana permit and a valid INM residency visa (visitante, tourist, residente temporal) that is associated with that Aduana TIP permit, then the spouse of the TIP holder, plus any/all immediate family members, can legally drive the vehicle - as long as the spouse/family-member driver has a valid driver's license.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jul 8, 2015, 2:24 PM)

cbviajero

Jul 8, 2015, 3:04 PM

Post #15 of 16 (8645 views)

Shortcut

Just curious,is there anything in articulo 106 or elsewhere that states that you have to notify Aduana every time you renew your visa in order for your TIP to remain valid?

YucaLandia

Jul 8, 2015, 4:17 PM

Post #16 of 16 (8633 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] importing a less than 1yr old nafta vehicle

In Reply To
Just curious,is there anything in articulo 106 or elsewhere that states that you have to notify Aduana every time you renew your visa in order for your TIP to remain valid?

This Aduana requirement was published back in June 2010.

Search the DOF for the original text.
I believe I also saw it listed in SAT's 2012 manual.

Happy Trials,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4