Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

NorthAmericanTraveler

Jul 2, 2015, 10:56 AM

Post #1 of 15 (6498 views)

Shortcut

Do I need the title to get a TIP?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Do I need the title of my car to get my TIP or is my vehicle registration good enough? Thanks.

RickS

Jul 2, 2015, 11:13 AM

Post #2 of 15 (6491 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NorthAmericanTraveler] Do I need the title to get a TIP?

Registration is sufficient. Name on registration MUST be the same as name on passport of person importing; Bill for William won't work (this particular information is pretty old but have not heard that this requirement has been modified).

There will be a refundable deposit required... between $200-$400 US... depending on year.

The TIP 'can' be ordered online and delivered to your US home in 3 business days by DHL (but the requirements are the same as in person).

NorthAmericanTraveler

Jul 2, 2015, 11:27 AM

Post #3 of 15 (6484 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Do I need the title to get a TIP?

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that my registration will be good enough. I didn't really want to take my title with me, but I also didn't want to get there and then be sorry out of luck either. It will be about a 1300 mile drive to the border for me.

chicois8

Jul 2, 2015, 11:52 AM

Post #4 of 15 (6479 views)

Shortcut

Just to be on the safe side make a color copy of the title.
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

RickS

Jul 2, 2015, 12:11 PM

Post #5 of 15 (6477 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Do I need the title to get a TIP?

I agree with chico.... but I would mark it as a 'copy' so that some official will not think you are trying to fool anyone..... just saying.

chinagringo

Jul 2, 2015, 12:38 PM

Post #6 of 15 (6475 views)

Shortcut

And I might suggest carrying copies of Drivers License, Passport, any Insurance Documents and any other pertinent documents related to yourself and anyone traveling with you.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

rvgringo

Jul 2, 2015, 4:17 PM

Post #7 of 15 (6461 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Do I need the title to get a TIP?

All copies should be black and white, not color, to avoid being accused of counterfeiting, a serious accusation in Mexico and you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent, from jail. They really do have “a thing“ about color copies.

NorthAmericanTraveler

Jul 2, 2015, 5:57 PM

Post #8 of 15 (6449 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Do I need the title to get a TIP?

Thanks for all the replies. I'll go ahead and make a couple of copies of my title in black and white and leave the original at home just to be safe. Hopefully my registration will be good enough though.

(This post was edited by NorthAmericanTraveler on Jul 2, 2015, 5:57 PM)

chicois8

Jul 2, 2015, 7:39 PM

Post #9 of 15 (6434 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Do I need the title to get a TIP?

I give the Mexican officials more credit, when a title is color printed and the back is blank and white I would believe they would not think it's a counterfeit document...
San Mateo, California

NorthAmericanTraveler

Jul 2, 2015, 8:23 PM

Post #10 of 15 (6430 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Do I need the title to get a TIP?

According to Mexico Mike's website the only vehicles that need their title to get a TIP are motorcycles. I'll take his word for it since he's been to Mexico a lot. Looks like the registration will be good enough.

jwallacq

Jul 3, 2015, 6:59 AM

Post #11 of 15 (6414 views)

Shortcut

When I came into Mexico last December at Cd. Acunya, they only wanted to see the Registration and did not care about the Title.

When I renewed the TIP last month at Chetumal they INSISTED on seeing the Title, and had no interest in the registration. (Luckily I had it with me or I would have been in a total mess.)

YMMV !!

chinagringo

Jul 3, 2015, 7:19 AM

Post #12 of 15 (6411 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwallacq] Do I need the title to get a TIP?

And your comment speaks to the FACT that the male or female right in front of you gets to interpret the rules & regs and apply as they see fit! And that folks is a valuable lesson to be learned about wandering through the Mexican System.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Jul 3, 2015, 9:10 AM

Post #13 of 15 (6396 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwallacq] Do I need the title to get a TIP?

Agree with china...

From other reports on forums, it appears that maybe the Belize border has several requirements that don't exist at any of the US border stations that I have used.

AlanMexicali

Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 AM

Post #14 of 15 (6384 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Do I need the title to get a TIP?

In Reply To
And your comment speaks to the FACT that the male or female right in front of you gets to interpret the rules & regs and apply as they see fit! And that folks is a valuable lesson to be learned about wandering through the Mexican System.

http://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_temporal/Paginas/automoviles.aspx

Google Translation:

2. "In the case of foreigners with status of stay of visitors, temporary resident and temporary resident student may temporarily import a single vehicle, the present for such effects your current passport or passport (passport card) and the official document issued by the immigration authorities.

3. The applicant must prove the ownership or possession of the vehicle to be imported temporarily for such purposes must present any of the following documents in original and copy:

- Título owned [title of vehicle] or current registration plates accrediting them as owners of the vehicle, issued by the competent authority in the foreign country.

- Contract lease on behalf of the importer, the lessor's letter authorizing the temporary importation of the vehicle.

- Contract of credit on behalf of the importer.

- Document of employment attesting the importer and the document evidencing ownership of the vehicle by the company.

Declare under penalty of perjury, that undertake to return the vehicle in question, within no longer authorized to perform any act or omission which configure the offense or offenses for misuse or destination."

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jul 3, 2015, 11:02 AM)

chicois8

Jul 3, 2015, 1:09 PM

Post #15 of 15 (6369 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Do I need the title to get a TIP?

These rules/regulations do not always ring true, for instance last year during the first week of November I purchased a 2015 automobile and planned to drive it to Mexico less than a week after the purchase so the only documents I had was from the the dealer which included the sales contract and temporary registration.......nothing else including no License Plates......Banjercito at the 21KM south of Nogales accepted my paperwork, I received my TIP and my refund in March upon my return....
San Mateo, California

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4