Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

kmetzger

Jul 1, 2015, 2:28 PM

Post #1 of 7 (5818 views)

Shortcut

Temporary Import Permit question

Can't Post | Private Reply
I know this question has been addressed before, but I was unable to find the thread. My apologies. This morning I was stopped in Ajijic for a minor traffic infraction. The cop told me I would have to follow him to the Chapala police station where my car would be impounded because I only had a copy of my TIP in the car. He showed me the regulation that specifies that the driver must produce the "original" document. I managed to get out of my fix with a mordida, but would like to know if from now on I have to keep the original in the glove compartment. Several years ago my car was stolen and that's why I'm hesitant to keep the original in the car.

playaboy

Jul 2, 2015, 6:10 AM

Post #2 of 7 (5746 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kmetzger] Temporary Import Permit question

I always kept my original TIP's in the vehicles I drove. I didn't want to give the police any reasons to hassle me.

What was your "minor infraction"? How much was the mordida?

addtocart

Jul 2, 2015, 6:49 AM

Post #3 of 7 (5734 views)

Shortcut

Re: Temporary Import Permit question

Can't Post |
Choices, choices. Pay (another) crooked cop a mordida or give all your original paperwork to the car thief.

kmetzger

Jul 2, 2015, 7:21 AM

Post #4 of 7 (5722 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Temporary Import Permit question

I made a left turn from the Carretera to the La Floresta glorieta. Mordida a whopping $1,000 because I was worried about the status of my TIP from 7 years ago.

(This post was edited by kmetzger on Jul 2, 2015, 7:37 AM)

cbviajero

Jul 2, 2015, 7:34 AM

Post #5 of 7 (5712 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I made a left turn from the Carretera to the La Floresta glorieta. Mordida a whopping $1,000.

I'll bet there's a lot of competition among transitos to get assigned to duty in Lakeside.

sparks

Jul 2, 2015, 10:13 AM

Post #6 of 7 (5674 views)

Shortcut

First time ever stopped by Feds a few weeks ago and he said copies are fine. Your Transito got the pocket money he wanted

Ever since my car was inundated in Hurricane Jova I keep nothing original

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

rvgringo

Jul 2, 2015, 10:43 AM

Post #7 of 7 (5665 views)

Shortcut

If your Importada Temporal is 7 years old, did you keep your notifications to Aduana up to date if and whenever you renewed your visa? If not, it is void and your car may be illegal. It may be time for a shopping trip NoB. Ask Spencer to check for you to be sure.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4