Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

paradise1

Jul 1, 2015, 6:18 AM

Post #1 of 13 (7029 views)

Shortcut

Reporting to INM within 30 days - What to expect?

Can't Post | Private Reply
When one is granted a single entry visa and has to report to INM within 30 days of arrival in Mexico to apply for their permanent resident cards, besides passports, can someone please briefly tell me what else, if anything, I would need to take with and what exactly is the procedure that day and are there additional fees to be paid? Thank you!

AlanMexicali

Jul 1, 2015, 6:57 AM

Post #2 of 13 (7019 views)

Shortcut

Re: [paradise1] Reporting to INM within 30 days - What to expect?

In Reply To
When one is granted a single entry visa and has to report to INM within 30 days of arrival in Mexico to apply for their permanent resident cards, besides passports, can someone please briefly tell me what else, if anything, I would need to take with and what exactly is the procedure that day and are there additional fees to be paid? Thank you!

When you enter Mexico by air or land you need to stop at Mexican Immigration. Show them your 6 month preapproved visa in your passport and get your passport stamped in. They will give you a 30 day FMM with the "canje" portion filled out. If you fly in do not fill out the tourist section of the FMM the airline gives you. When you go to your local INM office you will need to hand in the FMM card and show them your passport with the stamp and 6 month visa you got at a Mexican Consulate. Bring copies of both passport main page and cover and possibly a copy of the 6 month visa. Also you will need to go to the INM website and fill out the form callled "tramite" [processing] and bring that with you. You will be asked to pay a $1124 peso processing fee. They will give you a form with this fee to take to any bank and pay it. You can return with these paid forms the same day and wait for the clerk that is helping you finish with the person they are helping and walk up and hand them the bank forms without going to the back of the line. Make copies and return with the bank form and original. Then you will be in the system as beginning your "tramite" [processing]. You will need proof of your local address. They will print out a form with your imformation and give you a "NUT" number. your "numero único de tramites" and a password to their website given on the form where you can go to to check the processing, step by step. This form should be carried with you as it it also your temporary immigration document.

Here in our city of San Luis Potosi our INM office is very efficient and can from that point get you a Residente Permanente vísa/ card in about 3 weeks, They ask you to come back in after about 2 weeks to have your fingerprints taken, bring 3 photos and fill out a "Formato Basico". At this point you are approved and need to pay at a bank the fee for a Residente Permanenet visa/card $4289.00 pesos and return with the paid forms.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jul 1, 2015, 7:19 AM)

paradise1

Jul 1, 2015, 7:16 AM

Post #3 of 13 (7004 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Reporting to INM within 30 days - What to expect?

Wow I couldn't ask for a better explanation than that! Thank you so much for taking the time to write it, it is 'greatly' appreciated and I am sure it will help others too. Cheers!

TedZar

Jul 2, 2015, 12:37 PM

Post #4 of 13 (6882 views)

Shortcut

Re: [paradise1] Reporting to INM within 30 days - What to expect?

Make sure they mark "canje". It's important.

A lot depends on if you use a "facilitator". The process for me was very easy, they made all the copies and I didn't need things like a lease or electric bill to show where I was living. I didn't need to do anything online. It went very easy. This is really one of the easiest visa processes in the world. I've lived abroad for 25+ years and Mexico - bless them - made it super easy.

(This post was edited by TedZar on Jul 2, 2015, 12:41 PM)

EspoOrr

Jul 18, 2015, 6:46 AM

Post #5 of 13 (6552 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TedZar] Reporting to INM within 30 days - What to expect?

Thanks also AlanMexicali! I just joined this forum looking for an answer to exactly what the OP asked! Glad i did. I've already d/led the forms from the INM site and completed them. I have copies of all required docs. I'll be doing my process in Cancun. Will i need outside help to complete the process? My Spanish is...minimal, to say the least.
Glad it was also mentioned NOT to fill out the tourist form on the plane, because i surely would have. So leave it completely blank? Is it a given the customs officer will fill out the form with CANJE and stamp it, or do i have to insist?
Thanks for any help guys, appreciate it!

playaboy

Jul 18, 2015, 6:55 AM

Post #6 of 13 (6542 views)

Shortcut

Re: [EspoOrr] Reporting to INM within 30 days - What to expect?

You should fill out the FMM form on the plane and mark "Canje". Don't expect the INM agent to do it correctly for you.

EspoOrr

Jul 18, 2015, 7:08 AM

Post #7 of 13 (6528 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Reporting to INM within 30 days - What to expect?

Thanks playaboy. For some reason when i hit "quote" to reply to you it won't let me type. Anyhow, so i was just looking at the FMM form online to see where i would write CANJE myself with not much luck. Suggestions?

playaboy

Jul 18, 2015, 7:11 AM

Post #8 of 13 (6527 views)

Shortcut

It is a box on the form you check a box. Write on the top of each section of the form either Res Permanente, or Res Temporal. DO NOT let them enter you into the country as a tourist.

EspoOrr

Jul 18, 2015, 7:22 AM

Post #9 of 13 (6511 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Reporting to INM within 30 days - What to expect?

OK i see it. Looks like it was under official use only section.Thanks again playaboy.

EspoOrr

Jul 19, 2015, 7:04 AM

Post #10 of 13 (6437 views)

Shortcut

Some of you must know Ernesto Arrañaga? I've been in touch with him for about 2 years, ever since i decided Mexico was where i wanted to go. Anyhow, i emailed him asking if the INM process was complicated enough that i should hire help, and he said the process was very tricky and time consuming with many trips there required, if trying to do it all yourself. Then he said his paralegal and expert Lic. could do it all for me, at the princely sum of $800 U.S.! Am i been taken for a fool here, or is that the going rate to accomplish this? I've already got all required docs needed and made copies, it seems to me i just have to go there and begin the process. I don't mind if i have to go back a few times. I know I'll have to go to the bank after the first visit, pay the fee, and return.
Thanks guys.

YucaLandia

Jul 19, 2015, 8:19 AM

Post #11 of 13 (6407 views)

Shortcut

He's trying to play you.

Since June 2013, the INM offices have had very straightforward procedures for routine Residente Temporal and Residente Permanente visas, especially when the applicant already has prior Mexican Consulate approval.

The processes for routine RT & RP visas are basically reliable, easy and predictable - not needing either a facilitator nor lawyer.

Check out this link for some details: ~ Your First Visit in Mexico to your INM Office

as a part of the bigger general article: ~ Current Rules and Procedures for Immigration, Visiting, and Staying in Mexico

Welcome aboard!
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

rvgringo

Jul 19, 2015, 10:15 AM

Post #12 of 13 (6386 views)

Shortcut

Run, run, run. Don‘t be played for a fool. You sure don‘t need help; especially that kind of B$ help! Sounds like an ernest spider to me. Stay out of his web.

EspoOrr

Jul 19, 2015, 10:40 AM

Post #13 of 13 (6384 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Reporting to INM within 30 days - What to expect?

That's what i figured. Thanks guys, appreciate that.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4