Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

netmar

Jun 30, 2015, 11:05 PM

Post #1 of 16 (4823 views)

Shortcut

moving north soon

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi there,we would like to move from Chapala north to Texas soon,crossing at Laredo.Our car is on expired Canadian plates and I have two questions.1.We would like to visit my friend in Houston for like 6 months and then going to Canada would that be a problem,I mean we have an insurance,but what about the plates? and my second question is...can we buy a trailer in Mx on a mexican plates,cause we have lots of household staff to haul back and attach that to our Canadian car and cross the border?We can sell the trailer in Houston to some mexicans and leave the furniture in my friends house.Thank you in advance for your time

jreboll

Jul 1, 2015, 1:38 AM

Post #2 of 16 (4814 views)

Shortcut

Re: [netmar] moving north soon

You can register your trailer in Texas or sell it to whomever you please. There are few restrictions on trailers. You can even make your own if you want. Just be sure it has proper lighting.

netmar

Jul 1, 2015, 11:37 AM

Post #3 of 16 (4758 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] moving north soon

Soooo,we can actually cross the american border with mexican plated trailer with no problem?

jreboll

Jul 1, 2015, 12:48 PM

Post #4 of 16 (4743 views)

Shortcut

Sent you a pm

netmar

Jul 1, 2015, 1:04 PM

Post #5 of 16 (4742 views)

Shortcut

An error occurred,so I can not see you msg,please send it again if you can.Thank you

jreboll

Jul 1, 2015, 1:32 PM

Post #6 of 16 (4734 views)

Shortcut

I just got off the phone with TxDMV and these were the concerns:
Driver's license current?
Properly insured?
Car plates and title current?
Trailer does not exceed gross weight specs?
Trailer documentation?
She stated there would be no problem entering or crossing Texas
She said she would send me a copy of the regulations but I never received it
Remember to make copies of everything

jreboll

Jul 1, 2015, 1:35 PM

Post #7 of 16 (4730 views)

Shortcut

Forgot. Check Trailer brake lights, reflectors and turn signals

netmar

Jul 1, 2015, 1:55 PM

Post #8 of 16 (4726 views)

Shortcut

Thank you sooooo much jreboll.The only problem we see ..our expired plates,but we can do nothing about that from Mexico

playaboy

Jul 2, 2015, 5:52 AM

Post #9 of 16 (4668 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi there,we would like to move from Chapala north to Texas soon,crossing at Laredo.Our car is on expired Canadian plates and I have two questions.1.We would like to visit my friend in Houston for like 6 months and then going to Canada would that be a problem,I mean we have an insurance,but what about the plates? and my second question is...can we buy a trailer in Mx on a mexican plates,cause we have lots of household staff to haul back and attach that to our Canadian car and cross the border?We can sell the trailer in Houston to some mexicans and leave the furniture in my friends house.Thank you in advance for your time

If you plan to sell the Mexican trailer in the USA, you should check with CBP. They have different rules than Texas DOT.

Does your insurance cover you when your car is not legally on the road?

buffalodon

Jul 2, 2015, 7:08 AM

Post #10 of 16 (4654 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] moving north soon

If the vehicle registration is not current, then the insurance will be null and void. You will not be allowed entry into the USA with an uninsured and unregistered vehicle. Both are illegal to operate on public roads and highways.

If you didn't know how old you were, how old would you think you were?

chinagringo

Jul 2, 2015, 7:14 AM

Post #11 of 16 (4649 views)

Shortcut

Re: [buffalodon] moving north soon

Beg to differ about the above blanket statement. Based on our experience - CBP could have cared less that we had expired plates on our vehicle when crossing into the US. Since we crossed on a weekend, we couldn't even find an open location in either Texas or New Mexico where we could get a temporary trip permit and ended up driving 5 hours to Albuquerque with expired plates. YMMV
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

jreboll

Jul 2, 2015, 7:28 AM

Post #12 of 16 (4640 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] moving north soon

I find that if you are out of state and just driving through you will not have problems on the freeways. It is in the out-of-the-way places and small towns (speed traps) that you have to worry about.

chinagringo

Jul 2, 2015, 8:28 AM

Post #13 of 16 (4623 views)

Shortcut

I was referring to the statement from the previous post: " You will not be allowed entry into the USA with an uninsured and unregistered vehicle."
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

AlanMexicali

Jul 2, 2015, 8:52 AM

Post #14 of 16 (4618 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] moving north soon

In Reply To
Beg to differ about the above blanket statement. Based on our experience - CBP could have cared less that we had expired plates on our vehicle when crossing into the US. Since we crossed on a weekend, we couldn't even find an open location in either Texas or New Mexico where we could get a temporary trip permit and ended up driving 5 hours to Albuquerque with expired plates. YMMV

I agree based on experience. CBP/ICE officers at the border crossing in California are not interested in vehicle registration or if it is expired or not as long as you have license plates on the vehicle. They sometimes ask if you are the owner of the vehicle and if the answer is yes, ask how long have you owned it and I feel it is in case they send you to secondary and find contriband in the vehicle. I feel they leave the registration expired or not up to local or state police in the US once they admit you into the US.

arbon

Jul 2, 2015, 12:31 PM

Post #15 of 16 (4593 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
ICBC (Fleet Dept') will send plates to the American -Mexican border ...Laredo or where ever.... but not into Mexico.

Maybe other Provinces will do the same. Eh.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

netmar

Jul 2, 2015, 1:10 PM

Post #16 of 16 (4588 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] moving north soon

Thank you,thank you,thank you sooooo much.Have a nice day y'all

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4