Can't Post |
http://www.bloomberg.com/...ong-after-pimco-exit

Aaron+

Jun 27, 2015, 7:39 PM

Post #2 of 7 (6856 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] Positive view of Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Should U.S. investors take Bill Gross' apparent advice and buy Mexican bonds, that would only serve to increase the value of his own holdings. When a market maker provides a free tip, beware.

Gringal

Jun 28, 2015, 9:05 AM

Post #3 of 7 (6794 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Positive view of Mexico

"Come in to my parlor, said the spider to the fly".

The only good tips are insider tips which we peasants are not told about. Words of wisdom from a stockbreaking buddy.

DigYourself

Jun 28, 2015, 10:43 AM

Post #4 of 7 (6774 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] Positive view of Mexico

Can't Post |
How silly of me - I posted an item which was not related to visas and cars. I should have known better.

Josh82

Jul 2, 2015, 12:16 PM

Post #5 of 7 (6579 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Positive view of Mexico

Exactly. I'm in marketing & advertising and I've worked for a couple large firms in the US before changing to a much smaller one to avoid promoting massive corporate entities and help out with small businesses instead.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING that hits the media in regards to finance issues is either complete and utter bullshit, or half-truth. Numbers are fudged, statistics are twisted, data is presented to the public a fashion that eliminates the bigger picture or the real reasoning behind it.

If there is an opportunity for money to be made, REAL money in the markets, you will not hear about it unless you're an insider or until after the cream of the crop has been spoken for. This is why investor columns, magazines, and publications are garbage. The speculative opinion of a writer doesn't account for what's really going on behind the scenes - and if the writer knows what's going on behind the seens, they will not be leaking/sharing that info with the plebes.

Whatever the mainstream says, you can pretty much believe the exact opposite and be correct at least 80% of the time.

Now, I'm not saying that the positive view of Mexico is incorrect, but the info is. Mexico, with the same consumer technology available as the rest of the world, is still about 20 years behind the US when it comes to the efficiency of communication between businesses and consumers - both for marketing/advertising as well as customer service. If you want to make money in Mexico, this is the key. Learn how to connect people with the exact products and services they want to buy instead of leaving them to rely on word of mouth, or, settling for whatever is immediately available.

How do I find a pair of shoes of a specific brand, style and size here in Merida? By asking friends, and/or by visiting every store who sells shoes. In the end, I probably won't find them. Why? Because IF someone is in fact selling them, there's no way for them to get the word out and/or no way for me to effectively find out who has them & where they're located. In the US a simple web search will find every place within 50 miles who has them. In Mexico, the budget is not available for small businesses to have websites built, updated and marketed and so in a city like Merida or Mexico City, it's just word of mouth or luck.

Whoever is able to connect people directly with the products & services of small businesses in Mexico will make plenty of money in the near future. Right now, competition is not fierce for small business in most instances because it's very hard to effectively compare products & pricing or services & pricing in any area other than within your immediate neighborhood.

Josh82

Jul 2, 2015, 12:24 PM

Post #6 of 7 (6574 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Josh82] Positive view of Mexico

I should mention that I do not think it's necessarily a good idea to "Americanize" Mexico as far as business goes - it would take away from the adventure and charm of this country if each and every small business was reachable via the web. Honestly, there's already more of that here than many people would like to see. However, with that said, it's the way things are moving and so anyone who can understand & capitalize on that will be making money.

YucaLandia

Jul 2, 2015, 2:51 PM

Post #7 of 7 (6553 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Josh82] Positive view of Mexico

Josh,
You say: "How do I find a pair of shoes of a specific brand, style and size here in Merida? "

Why not use the 21'st century tools available to you?

There are some very active Merida social network sites, with 1,000 to 2,000 Meridanos y gringos who actively answer questions about where to find specific shoes.

The information and details and reviews of vendors/service-providers offered by the group are likely better than anything you could find through ordinary word-of-mouth or adverts.

e.g. If you needed specialized rubber parts or specialized springs, I can direct you to 2 shops that have far larger inventories than anything I've seen in Chicago, Denver, or Washington DC areas.

I personally rely on my Yuca-familia for insights, as they have lived here for the last 125 years. Between mi suegra, mi cuñada y cuñados who are architects, scientists, mechanics, engineers, dentists, business owners et al ... plus a neighbor who was an auto-mechanics profe at the local Technological U (who taught most of the best mechanics in Merida), they know amazing amounts of information about which vendors are reliable and who has the odd-ball or unusual stuff - especially when I ask mi suegra (age 82) - who asks her key (talented) friends about who's best ... or who's got what.

e.g. If you have watch with a 20,000 rpm turbine w/specialized capacitor that stores electrical energy, there may be only 2 shops in town with those repair capabilities (special soldering skills).

So, there are 21'st century tools - rooted in 100 years of past knowledge of Merida - to find what you want - with 1,500 pairs of eyes & ears, plus brains/experience on just one FaceBook page ... waiting to help in Merida.

The best group was formed as a private group - out of 2 prior on-line groups that had descended into pettiness and arbitrary moderating (kept private to stop the previous BS). PM me for the group name and access.

Merida also has some old-school resources: Have you gone to the Merida Men's Club?
There's a core group of old-fogies with Yucatecan wives y YucaFamilias who know Merida pretty well.

21'st Century spin on this?
Rog (the leader) does use the group email function to forward questions out to the 200 or so members of the Club...
and we have fairly regular multi-media presentations by banks, attorneys et al who are marketing special services to the expat community.

I would expect that other big Mexican cities have equally active social media resources and social groups for finding local vendors, goods, and services. ???

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jul 2, 2015, 2:57 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4