Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

alex5050

Jun 24, 2015, 1:06 AM

Post #1 of 3 (8443 views)

Shortcut

Help! Name problem when applying for permanent resident card

Can't Post | Private Reply
First time poster here.

I'm having a problem with Mexican immigration regarding a slight difference with my name (alexander vs alex) on my birth certificate and Mexican marriage certificate as compared to passport.

Some background: I am married to a Mexican citizen. I am eligible for permanent residence. Apparently, the rules have changed since I applied for my original temporary residence. Originally, all I needed was a notarized paper from a Mexican notary stating that "alex and alexander are the same person".

However, now that I am applying for the permanent residence, immigration is asking that I obtain a "letter" from the U.S. consulate or embassy clarifying the issue. The problem is: immigration won't tell what is needed in this letter! In fact, they won't tell me anything regarding the content of the "letter", even whether it needs to be notarized or not. In addition, I have talked to the U.S. consulate office and they told me that they do not issue letters clarifying name problems. The consulate suggested that I write the letter myself and get it notarized, but this seems to conflict with the vague information that I received from immigration!

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this problem? Do I need to write a letter and receive an affidavit? Should I get it translate? I honestly have no clue what to do and neither the U.S. consulate or immigration is willing to help me.

Thanks in advance!

AlanMexicali

Jun 24, 2015, 7:21 AM

Post #2 of 3 (8406 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex5050] Help! Name problem when applying for permanent resident card

I had the same letter E-Mailed to me by the Licenciada at our local INM office in the city of San Luis Potosi when changing form RT after 2 years to a RP and did get the correct letter from the US Consulate in Guadalajara [they knew all about it] notarized and explaining I use two middle names and also one middle name legally.

It stated I presented myself to them with my birth certificate , 2 middle names, my Mexican marriage license, 2 middle names and my US passport, one middle name and they verified I am the same person: Alan -----, -------- also know as AKA, Alan -----. -----. --------. They had me write a letter declaring I am the same person. They attached my letter , a copy of my Mexican marriage license and a copy of my birth certificate, a copy of the cover and primary page of my US passport with their notarized letter and charged me $710.00 pesos. It was attached together with a grommet like in a shoe for laces.

I took it to the INM office which the letter I recieved from them also stated I had 10 working days to get it to them or would have to start over again with my application and they accepted it and I was approved. The US Consulate will only notarize documents in English and had no problem with my Spanish marriage license. I was not asked for a Spanish translation by our INM office. I recieved my RT visa/card which had one middle name with no problem even though my other documents had two middle names. My RP card/visa also has one middle name.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jun 24, 2015, 8:03 AM)

panama john

Jun 24, 2015, 3:30 PM

Post #3 of 3 (8327 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex5050] Help! Name problem when applying for permanent resident card

In Reply To
First time poster here.

I'm having a problem with Mexican immigration regarding a slight difference with my name (alexander vs alex) on my birth certificate and Mexican marriage certificate as compared to passport.

Some background: I am married to a Mexican citizen. I am eligible for permanent residence. Apparently, the rules have changed since I applied for my original temporary residence. Originally, all I needed was a notarized paper from a Mexican notary stating that "alex and alexander are the same person".

However, now that I am applying for the permanent residence, immigration is asking that I obtain a "letter" from the U.S. consulate or embassy clarifying the issue. The problem is: immigration won't tell what is needed in this letter! In fact, they won't tell me anything regarding the content of the "letter", even whether it needs to be notarized or not. In addition, I have talked to the U.S. consulate office and they told me that they do not issue letters clarifying name problems. The consulate suggested that I write the letter myself and get it notarized, but this seems to conflict with the vague information that I received from immigration!

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this problem? Do I need to write a letter and receive an affidavit? Should I get it translate? I honestly have no clue what to do and neither the U.S. consulate or immigration is willing to help me.

Thanks in advance!

In Reply To

I had the same problem about 6 months ago. The US embassy won't write the letter. You have to write it. Keep it simple stating that you are the same person and bring all your documents with you when you go to the embassy. It's easy to make an appointment.With this new notarized document, immigration should finish your resident permanante

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4