Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

RickS

Jun 23, 2015, 1:50 PM

Post #1 of 5 (6333 views)

Shortcut

Mexican Plated Car in the US

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have heard that a Mexican plated car can stay in the US for 1 year. Now I have heard that quoted as 2 years.

Can anyone give me the definitive length of time that is allowed? Source of info? Please, no second hand info unless it is the definitive source for which I am looking.

Thanks

DavidHF

Jun 23, 2015, 2:14 PM

Post #2 of 5 (6325 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Mexican Plated Car in the US

That may depend on the exact circumstances; e.g. is the owner a Mexican living in the US temporarily, or is the owner a resident of the State where the car is located? ....etc..

addtocart

Jun 23, 2015, 2:33 PM

Post #3 of 5 (6324 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Mexican Plated Car in the US

Can't Post |

In Reply To
That may depend on the exact circumstances; e.g. is the owner a Mexican living in the US temporarily, or is the owner a resident of the State where the car is located? ....etc..

Don't waste his time. He's only looking for the exact answer.

YucaLandia

Jun 23, 2015, 4:48 PM

Post #4 of 5 (6302 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Mexican Plated Car in the US

In Reply To
I have heard that a Mexican plated car can stay in the US for 1 year. Now I have heard that quoted as 2 years.

Can anyone give me the definitive length of time that is allowed? Source of info? Please, no second hand info unless it is the definitive source for which I am looking.

Thanks

The US Homeland Security / CBP policy has been the same for at least 10 years, Mexican-plated vehicles are allowed 1 year of personal use in the USA, as published on Yucalandia.com and Rollybrook.com.

Back in the USA! with my Mexican-plated car.

Since you seem unsure about these resources, the closest thing I could come up with using a simple Google search was:
"Temporary importation of a car for personal use
Can I bring my car into the U.S. temporarily?

Nonresidents/visitors may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner?s arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirements. See Importing a Motor Vehicle on CBP.gov.

The importer's passport number and the name of the country that issued the passport must be supplied on the DOT form HS-7 Declaration form. See Box 5. The DOT form HS-7 can be downloaded from the Department of Transportation's (DOT) Website or by calling the Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393 FREE

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1664/kw/mexican%20vehicle%20temporarily%20in%20USA

I've read at least 50 posts over the past 7 years of Americans successfully taking their Mexican-plated cars into the USA for up to a year. The only hassle they've reported is that American insurance companies will only offer liability coverages - no comprehensive coverage available.

Alternately, if the Mexican-plated vehicle was made for sales in the USA and was purchased in the USA, AND you are interested in more than 1 year in the USA, then then check out the Yucalandia post's subsection on permanently importing them back into the USA:
Requirements to import a vehicle made for US sales and purchased new in the USA:

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Jun 23, 2015, 9:10 PM)

RickS

Jun 23, 2015, 9:11 PM

Post #5 of 5 (6258 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Mexican Plated Car in the US

Thank you.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4