Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

BP

Jun 20, 2015, 6:59 PM

Post #1 of 13 (9063 views)

Shortcut

forums on moving to La Paz

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,
My plan is to temporarily live in La Paz by the end of the year for 6 to 9 months.
Could someone please direct me to Forum threads on "how to" start documents necessary to enter Mexico.
I am starting the research process to determine if I drive from New Jersey vs. flying; student visa vs. tourist visa, how prescriptions get mailed, experience on renting a furnished or non-furnished place, stuff like that.
Thank you so much.

sparks

Jun 21, 2015, 8:24 AM

Post #2 of 13 (9034 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BP] forums on moving to La Paz

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lapazgringos/conversations/messages

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

rvgringo

Jun 21, 2015, 10:36 AM

Post #3 of 13 (9020 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BP] forums on moving to La Paz

If you plan to stay more than 180 days (FMM tourist permit), you will need to apply at your nearest Mexican Consulate for a residence visa, either temporary or permanent. There will be financial proofs required.
If you drive, you will need to temporarily import your vehicle, good for the length of your permit or temporary residence visa. Those with permanent residence visas may not drive foreign plated cars. Permanent nationalization of your vehicle is generally not an option.

BP

Jun 21, 2015, 1:04 PM

Post #4 of 13 (9009 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] forums on moving to La Paz

Thank you for the start.

chicois8

Jun 21, 2015, 2:36 PM

Post #5 of 13 (9001 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] forums on moving to La Paz

In Reply To
If you plan to stay more than 180 days (FMM tourist permit), you will need to apply at your nearest Mexican Consulate for a residence visa, either temporary or permanent. There will be financial proofs required.
If you drive, you will need to temporarily import your vehicle, good for the length of your permit or temporary residence visa. Those with permanent residence visas may not drive foreign plated cars. Permanent nationalization of your vehicle is generally not an option.

There is no TIP for Baja,Baja Sur and Sonora down to Empalme, called the "no hassle zone" by Mexico.......
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

rvgringo

Jun 21, 2015, 2:55 PM

Post #6 of 13 (8996 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] forums on moving to La Paz

Don‘t federal rules apply for visa holders? I assumed residents need visas.

chicois8

Jun 21, 2015, 4:20 PM

Post #7 of 13 (8990 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] forums on moving to La Paz

In Reply To
Don‘t federal rules apply for visa holders? I assumed residents need visas.

Since we do not know if he will be on an FMM or a residents visa it's kinda moot. If he comes in on an FMM there is no TIP needed,in fact they do not even issue TIPs in Tijuana, you can get one in La Paz if ferrying (sp) to Mazatlan..
San Mateo, California

playaboy

Jun 22, 2015, 5:57 AM

Post #8 of 13 (8972 views)

Shortcut

Banjercito does issue and cancel TIP's in TJ. I have used that office in the past.

I know people that live in "hassle free zones". They have had their casr for years without TIP's regardless of their "visa or FMM" status. It is the same in QROO.

chicois8

Jun 22, 2015, 7:23 AM

Post #9 of 13 (8965 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] forums on moving to La Paz

Playa, all I know is when I crossed into Tijuana at the San Ysidro crossing all they would do was the FMM, now I knowit was a new ly opened office then maybe they do have one there now...if I wanted a TIP I would either get one in La Paz or the one east of Caborca...I have never entered at Otay Mesa, maybe there is a Banjercito there........
San Mateo, California

bajatravel

Jun 6, 2016, 4:30 PM

Post #10 of 13 (6209 views)

Shortcut

Are you saying it's possible to apply for a Tourist Visa in La Paz? I'm curious to know where in Baja one can apply...

chicois8

Jun 6, 2016, 6:43 PM

Post #11 of 13 (6201 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bajatravel] forums on moving to La Paz

In Reply To
Are you saying it's possible to apply for a Tourist Visa in La Paz? I'm curious to know where in Baja one can apply...

You need to get the FMM (tourist permit) at the border, I crossed at San Yisidro and all they would issue was the FMM and told me to either get my TIP at La Paz or Caborca..That was two years ago maybe SY does TIPs now...
It used to be you had to show your FMM at a checkpoint betweem BC and BCS.
San Mateo, California

bajatravel

Jun 8, 2016, 9:13 AM

Post #12 of 13 (6163 views)

Shortcut

This is what I've heard. I plan to do the paperwork online and take the form to the office. Let's say I want to apply and I'm already in Mexico, can I go to the INM on Blvd Insurgentes in Tijuana or must I go to the border, El Chaparral? How do I do that without exiting and leaving the country? I would like to avoid the hassle of having to exit and re-enter if possible. I hear there's an office where you can get a FMM card in Ensenada: http://math.ucr.edu/ftm/bajapages/TouristCard.html

chicois8

Jun 8, 2016, 1:22 PM

Post #13 of 13 (6154 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bajatravel] forums on moving to La Paz

As you pull into Ensenada from the north you will see the ships and a sign for customs, there is also an INM office there, they may be able to do the FMM there...suerte
San Mateo, California

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4