Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Sujoy

Jun 17, 2015, 9:51 AM

Post #1 of 13 (18848 views)

Shortcut

Is it possible to travel out of mexico with mexican birth certificate and passport of another countr

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am in a tricky position and seek advice from you. Recently my daughter was born in Mexico. We are Indian nationals and hold Indian passports. There is a confusion about making passport for our daughter. Since we shall go back India soon we want to make an Indian passport for our baby. But i came to know that since she is born here in Mexico no Visa can be given to her passport. Then my question is how we can move out of the country?. We have the mexican birth certificate for the baby. Is it possible to show this as a substitute of Visa along with the Indian passport? Please note that India does not allow to take her citizens an Indian passport. So we cannot have both of them.

If anybody can help please respond at your earliest.

Thanks and regards,
Sujoy.

chinagringo

Jun 17, 2015, 11:10 AM

Post #2 of 13 (18828 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sujoy] Is it possible to travel out of mexico with mexican birth certificate and passport of an

Did you check with the Indian Embassy to see if they have a provision for a Citizen Born Abroad?

The United States has such a provision where they issue a second birth certificate from the State Dept. In my case, I was provided with a Chinese Birth Certificate and then another as a US Citizen. It was processed through the US Consulate in Shanghai.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

jwallacq

Jun 18, 2015, 9:46 AM

Post #3 of 13 (18736 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sujoy] Is it possible to travel out of mexico with mexican birth certificate and passport of an

I agree with the other person who answered: You need to talk to the Indian Embassy or Consulate to get definitive information.

Are both parents citizens of India, or is one parent a Mexican citizen? Are the parents married? If only one parent is a citizen of India, is that the father or the mother? All those details will probably be very important

For what its worth: I am a (male) USA citizen, married to a (female) Mexican citizen, and my two oldest children were born in Mexico. I was able to get USA birth certificates and passports for my children with no hassle. This was 20 years ago, so I have forgotten the details -- and the details might have changed by now anyway. I do remember that the whole process took somewhere between 4 to 6 weeks and cost a moderate amount of money.

I might be wrong, but my recollection is that it would have been a HUGE hassle if we hadn't been legally married, though.

My youngest was born in the USA, but her Mother was able to get her a Mexican birth certificate and passport (in addition to her USA passport) without too much trouble, but again: The whole process took a few months.

aglaonema

Jun 19, 2015, 9:36 AM

Post #4 of 13 (18661 views)

Shortcut

The baby can leave Mexico with a Mexican passport and enter India with her Indian passport. If you are so worried about having two passports on you, you can ditch the Mexican passport en route.
The Indian consulate should be able to guide you on how to get her out of Mexico with the passport they issue anyway.

Aaron+

Jun 19, 2015, 9:45 AM

Post #5 of 13 (18659 views)

Shortcut

"...that India does not allow to take her citizens an Indian passport."

Am afraid I do not understand your question. Above, did you mean to say that India does not permit her citizens to have a non-Indian passport"? Why not register her birth also with the Embassy of India in Mexico City? You could also obtain an Indian passport there, one would imagine. I would think that, with her recent acta, and a valid passport, that INM would allow her departure without problems IF accompanied by both parents. If accompanied only by one parent, their are provisions requiring a (notarized, I believe) permission from the absent parent.

Incidentally, with her Mexican acta de nacimiento, your daughter qualifies for a Mexican passport. While the Indian Constitution does not allow for dual citizenship, unless the Mexican SRE were to inform India, the Indian government would not know that your daughter also had a Mexican passport. Since Mexico recognizes dual nationality for its own people, I would be surprised if they would inform the Indian govt. (Mexican law has some differences, the meaning of which escapes me, between citizenship and nationality.) You could ask the SRE consular department in Mexico City, without specifying info regarding your daughter, if they inform parents' home countries if their child acquires a Mexican passport.

jwallacq

Jun 19, 2015, 6:46 PM

Post #6 of 13 (18616 views)

Shortcut

Re: [aglaonema] Is it possible to travel out of mexico with mexican birth certificate and passport o

Perhaps I am missing something here:

If a child is flying out of Mexico with both parents, and all 3 of them have Indian passports, why would anybody even think to ask whether she also had a Mexican passport?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the airlines always wanted to see the passport of the destination country.

chinagringo

Jun 19, 2015, 7:38 PM

Post #7 of 13 (18611 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwallacq] Is it possible to travel out of mexico with mexican birth certificate and passport o

So when people fly from the US or Canada, they want to see a Mexican Passport?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

jwallacq

Jun 20, 2015, 7:35 AM

Post #8 of 13 (18571 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Is it possible to travel out of mexico with mexican birth certificate and passport

Like I said, I'm not 100% certain, but my understanding is that if you have dual citizenship in the USA and Mexico, and you are flying from the USA to Mexico, the airline will want to see your Mexican passport.

http://www.stylehiclub.com/cruising-flying/step-step-guide-to-traveling-with-two-passports/

I also vaguely remember reading something to the effect that Mexican Law (which they may or may not enforce regularly) requires Mexicans with dual citizenship to enter Mexico as Mexicans, rather than as foreigners.

Does anybody here know for sure?

(This post was edited by RickS on Jun 20, 2015, 10:17 AM)

AlanMexicali

Jun 20, 2015, 7:43 AM

Post #9 of 13 (18566 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwallacq] Is it possible to travel out of mexico with mexican birth certificate and passport

In Reply To
Like I said, I'm not 100% certain, but my understanding is that if you have dual citizenship in the USA and Mexico, and you are flying from the USA to Mexico, the airline will want to see your Mexican passport.

http://www.stylehiclub.com/cruising-flying/step-step-guide-to-traveling-with-two-passports/

I also vaguely remember reading something to the effect that Mexican Law (which they may or may not enforce regularly) requires Mexicans with dual citizenship to enter Mexico as Mexicans, rather than as foreigners.

In the USA a dual citizen is considered a US citizen. In Mexico a dual citizen is considered a Mexican citizen, whether entering Mexico or being in Mexico when asked by officals. That goes for any nationality where you enter any country you are a citizen of.

However I have seen many Mexicans at the Mexicali airport getting FMM tourist cards to get on the planes going south as they were Mexican Americans and did not have any documents. So the INM there needs a document proving Mexican citizenship or you are considered an American tourist.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jun 20, 2015, 7:47 AM)

citlali

Jun 20, 2015, 9:27 AM

Post #10 of 13 (18549 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwallacq] Is it possible to travel out of mexico with mexican birth certificate and passport

I just went to France, showd my French passport to the airline, when I got to France I showed my French passport to enter.When I left Paris my flight went to Amsterdam and I had to show my French passport as I was in Europe and then I showed my Mexican passport from Amsterdam to Mexico and I entered Mexico with my Mexican passport.

As an aside, I was not sure of my status in Amsterdam as I thought I was in transit and I showed my Mexican passport to go to the gate and the immigration stopped me as they could not see my Mexican passport stamped when I entered France so I showed them my French passport and was told to use the French passport while in Europe.

richmx2

Jun 20, 2015, 1:25 PM

Post #11 of 13 (18518 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Is it possible to travel out of mexico with mexican birth certificate and passport

Technically, if a naturalized Mexican (which doesn't apply to the original poster's child, who can be a Mexican by birth) uses their other passport abroad, they COULD lose their Mexican citizenship. In reality, those with dual nationality generally use their original nationality when in the "old country". With a dual Mexican-US nationality, of course I use my US passport in the US, and will do so if I go from the US to Canada. And my Mexican one if I'm going to Cuba.

The only time I've ever seen the issue come up was when Juan Camilo Mouriño was Secretario de Gobernación who held Spanish and Mexican citizenship, and had lived in Spain and traveled on a Spanish passport. It was only an issue because he was in the line of succession to be President, and a President must be a "natural born Mexican". That, and he appeared to favor some of his family's Spanish-owned corporations when he was at PEMEX.

So... unless you're expecting to be a public figure, or hold high political office, I really wouldn't sweat it much.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

YucaLandia

Jun 20, 2015, 3:18 PM

Post #12 of 13 (18499 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

I was just at the SRE office in Merida last week, taking the nat. citizenship exams..The SRE lawyer gave me a list of requirements that I (we) must agree to follow by becoming a Mexican citizen. As a part of the requirements, he clearly said that I must use my (future) Mexican passport for entering Mexico every time in the future.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jun 20, 2015, 3:22 PM)

esperanza

Jun 21, 2015, 6:30 AM

Post #13 of 13 (18452 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Is it possible to travel out of mexico with mexican birth certificate and passport

In Reply To
Technically, if a naturalized Mexican (which doesn't apply to the original poster's child, who can be a Mexican by birth) uses their other passport abroad, they COULD lose their Mexican citizenship. In reality, those with dual nationality generally use their original nationality when in the "old country". With a dual Mexican-US nationality, of course I use my US passport in the US, and will do so if I go from the US to Canada. And my Mexican one if I'm going to Cuba.

This information is incorrect. When a naturalized Mexican citizen is in Mexico, he or she is required to claim ONLY Mexican citizenship. When a naturalized Mexican citizen travels to his or her home country, he or she is a citizen of that country and enters that country on that country's passport. When a naturalized Mexican citizen travels to a country OTHER than Mexico or his or her home country, he or she can claim to be a Mexican citizen OR a citizen of his or her home country for entry into a country other than his or her two passports.

When I travel from Mexico to the USA, I present my Mexican passport at the airline counter. The clerk will say, we need to see your entry visa for the USA. I show my USA passport, saying "I enter the USA with this." That satisfies the requirement for a visa. When I leave the USA (regardless of my destination), I show my USA passport. If I am entering Mexico, I stand in the line for citizen entry and enter using my Mexican passport. When I travel to Europe, I enter on whichever of my two passports I choose. There is no restriction by Mexico or the entering country on which I pick.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4