Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

playaboy

Jun 15, 2015, 3:10 PM

Post #1 of 14 (6777 views)

Shortcut

Used Car Imports

Can't Post | Private Reply
It has been said on most forums that there has been no imports of used cars.

FYI.

http://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/...ual-en-mayo-sat.html

http://translate.google.com/...ual-en-mayo-sat.html

60,000 cars in the 1st 5 months of 2015.

addtocart

Jun 15, 2015, 5:59 PM

Post #2 of 14 (6749 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Used Car Imports

Can't Post |
Doesn't the article headline say "Illegal Imports"?

playaboy

Jun 16, 2015, 7:34 AM

Post #3 of 14 (6677 views)

Shortcut

Re: [addtocart] Used Car Imports

My Spanish is poor and I rely on Google translation. Didn't the article state the amount of cars imported? Or did I get it the whole thing wrong?

addtocart

Jun 16, 2015, 7:45 AM

Post #4 of 14 (6674 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I read the Google translation and the original Spanish (as best I can) and the grammar is scrambled either way. It's hard to tell, so I assumed by the title of the article that it was about illegal imports.

If that's the case, it's hard to believe that there were 59,000 illegal imports by foreigners (us). I wonder just how you keep track of how many illegal anythings there are, since if they are reported they would be seen as illegal and dealt with by authorities.

BWAHAHAHA! Dealt with by authorities. Looks like I forgot where we are.

AlanMexicali

Jun 16, 2015, 7:55 AM

Post #5 of 14 (6669 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
My Spanish is poor and I rely on Google translation. Didn't the article state the amount of cars imported? Or did I get it the whole thing wrong?

I read it in your Google Translator and in Spanish quickly and am still not sure what they are saying exactly so gave up. LOL

A Tijuana newspaper article 2 or 2 1/2 months ago says they are not doing nationalizations in Mexicali or TJ now and did some in Juarez but hit and miss since the end of Sept, 2014

cbviajero

Jun 16, 2015, 8:57 AM

Post #6 of 14 (6657 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

I think El Financiero screwed up the headline,it probably should have read (importacion legal),quien sabe..

addtocart

Jun 16, 2015, 9:13 AM

Post #7 of 14 (6647 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Used Car Imports

Can't Post |
If El Financiero missed the headline that bad, I would have a hard time taking the rest of the article seriously.

playaboy

Jun 16, 2015, 9:14 AM

Post #8 of 14 (6647 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Used Car Imports

In Reply To

In Reply To

I read it in your Google Translator and in Spanish quickly and am still not sure what they are saying exactly so gave up. LOL

A Tijuana newspaper article 2 or 2 1/2 months ago says they are not doing nationalizations in Mexicali or TJ now and did some in Juarez but hit and miss since the end of Sept, 2014

I found this posted in an article about Mexico new cars sales.

Según cifras de la Asociación Mexicana de Distribuidores de Automotores (Amda) en el primer cuatrimestre del año ingresaron a México 52 mi 607 vehículos usados importados.

http://www.jornada.unam.mx/ultimas/2015/06/08/vendidos-medio-millon-de-autos-chocolates-en-lo-que-va-del-ano-478.html

So 52,607 imported used cars during the 1st quarter of 2015. That is a big drop from previous years. But 52K did qualify and were processed.

Am I reading this correctly?

AlanMexicali

Jun 16, 2015, 9:26 AM

Post #9 of 14 (6647 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Used Car Imports

In Reply To

In Reply To

I think El Financiero screwed up the headline,it probably should have read (importacion legal),quien sabe..

I think they also included the illegal vehicles imported in 2014 before the shutdown at the end of Sept. 2014 and they estimated over 500,000 used vehicles being nationalized yearly for many years before the shutdown and restart. So only 52.600 this year in 4 months is a fraction of what was going on when some of the importers were bribing federal judges for Amparos and custom agents for how many years?

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jun 16, 2015, 9:30 AM)

cbviajero

Jun 16, 2015, 10:01 AM

Post #10 of 14 (6623 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
http://www.jornada.unam.mx/ultimas/2015/06/08/vendidos-medio-millon-de-autos-chocolates-en-lo-que-va-del-ano-478.html

So 52,607 imported used cars during the 1st quarter of 2015. That is a big drop from previous years. But 52K did qualify and were processed.

Am I reading this correctly?

Yes you are.
The first comment to the article you linked is right on the money,imo.

mcm

Jun 16, 2015, 12:16 PM

Post #11 of 14 (6605 views)

Shortcut

Re: [addtocart] Used Car Imports

Although the headline says ''illegal imports'', I agree that that is NOT the sense of the El Financiero article -- as noted in the first comment on the article on the El Financiero site.

The gist of the article is that used car imports from the US have fallen a lot compared to last year (67%), and this is attributed to the use of a specific schedule for imports (based on age of car), audits of import companies, including aduana officials that have ''facilitated'' sometimes shady imports, guarantee of TEMPORARY import fees based on the age of the vehicle, and the requirement that US certification of export be included with the import paperwork (for permanent imports).

Since the scheduling of imports based on car age isn't really new, nor is the guarantee of temporary import fees, I would think that the crackdown (audit) of importers and the requirement that the car be officially exported from the US are the real factors influencing this trend.

safaricombi

Jun 24, 2015, 7:36 AM

Post #12 of 14 (6396 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mcm] Used Car Imports

Has anyone imported an old car in 2015? My truck qualifies age-wise, but can I , with permanent Mexican residency, import it from Texas myself or do I need to use an aduanal broker?

rvgringo

Jun 24, 2015, 11:26 AM

Post #13 of 14 (6359 views)

Shortcut

Re: [safaricombi] Used Car Imports

You will need to contact a broker. It will also require that the vehicle be eligible in all respects, including having been exported from the USA and the title voided. It may cost nearly as much as the vehicle is worth, so it just does not seem to be a practical move for most folks.
I would recommend that you sell it in TX and buy something in Mexico. You will get better insurance and parts support, etc.

playaboy

Jun 24, 2015, 3:39 PM

Post #14 of 14 (6325 views)

Shortcut

Re: [safaricombi] Used Car Imports

Safari, if your car qualifies for import, it is not that difficult to do, as RV suggests. I did my car last year. I like my car and know my car so was worth it to me.

You should use a broker, really a must. The broker fee is only around $250. The broker can give you the total cost for your particular car. They will handle all the processing, export and import, while you hang out shop and eat. Use the search function on this site for Norma Salinas, a broker in TX. She doesn't cut corners and goes by the book.

RV, contrary to everything you read online, the process is really fairly EASY. The broker does all the paperwork and processing. You just have to have 2-3 days time and be patient. Expensive or not depends on the person and car.

BTW, your USA title does not get voided

(This post was edited by playaboy on Jun 24, 2015, 3:41 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4