Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

jbowler

Jun 13, 2015, 11:40 AM

Post #1 of 8 (6358 views)

Shortcut

can residente temporal be renewed after four years?

Can't Post | Private Reply
1. I have my residente temporal.Am I obliged to apply for Residente permanente when my temporal expires?or can I just renew as temporal again? Am looking for a way to avoid importing my vehicle if that is possible.
2. is my Canadian drivers license still ok to use or do I have to get a mexican dr license ? sorry to ask questions that no doubt have been asked before....someone told me that if I have permanente, my vehicle has to be nationalized and I need a mex drivers license, but want to make sure -
THANK YOU !!!

mcm

Jun 13, 2015, 1:22 PM

Post #2 of 8 (6344 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jbowler] can residente temporal be renewed after four years?

It is my understanding that after four years with Residente Temporal, you can either apply for Residente Permanente in Mexico, OR apply for a new Residente Temporal IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY.

If your Canadian driver's license is not expired, no problem to drive with it. You must, of course, have a VALID driver's license for your car insurance to be valid. As far as I know, there is no requirement to have a Mexican driver's license in conjunction with a Residente Permanente visa (but I'm not sure why you WOULDN'T if you live here full time). Driver's licenses are issued by each state, so requirements for getting a driver's license may vary from state to state.

rvgringo

Jun 13, 2015, 1:29 PM

Post #3 of 8 (6343 views)

Shortcut

After 4 years on Residente Temporal visa, you cannot renew it. You would have to leave Mexico, return to your home country, and re-apply for a new RT after the previous one expired. You would have to meet whatever requirements the consulate needed at that time. You would have to take your car out of Mexico until you got the new canje, returned to Mexico and went through the aduana notification, got the new visa processed, etc.
Some have managed to let a visa expire, “by accident“ and with good legal help, managed to pay a fine and start the process over, with proofs, in Mexico. However, the car becomes illegal when the visa expired, and must then get a Retorno Seguro to take it out of Mexico (5 day permit) and return with new TIP, deposits forfeit of course.
To live in Mexico now, it is easier to buy a Mexican plated car prior to going to Residente Permanente and to take the foreign plated car out of Mexico in time to avoid all that hassle.
Nationalizing your car is not a viable option.
Your license do drive is acceptable. Just get a license in your Mexican state of residence before it expires.

DigYourself

Jun 13, 2015, 3:17 PM

Post #4 of 8 (6322 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] can residente temporal be renewed after four years?

Can't Post |
Just curious - would your recommendations differ for an American versus a Canadian ?

Are Canadians expected to export their vehicles at the Texas border - or do they need to export at 'both' borders ?

Personally - we are Americans and somehow managed to import our 2001 vehicle via Aduana DF (with professional help).

rvgringo

Jun 13, 2015, 3:41 PM

Post #5 of 8 (6312 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] can residente temporal be renewed after four years?

No difference for Canadian vs. USA as far as visas are concerned.
Mexico is demanding US export of cars, but it still seems that importations are at a standstill and your car must be the proper year to be eligible (2006-2007 right now, but a moving target) and must be a NAFTA vehicle. Canadian plated cars seem caught in the Catch-22 and not being imported now. Those few that may have succeeded have cost a lot more than in previous years.
So, it just is not worth even trying. Think of exporting your US car from the US, then finding that you cannot import it into Mexico. Your title is cancelled and you would have to re-import it into the USA, get a new title in your home state, etc., etc.
You and others keep trying, but the sad truth is that it simply is not idea to torture yourself, waiting to hear what you want to hear. If you are going to move to Mexico, you will be happier with a Mexican plated car anyway, and have much less worry about the transitos targeting you or having the car impounded or confiscated on either a whim or an Aduana technicality. Remember: Your temporarily imported car must eventually be removed from Mexico; even if it quits running.

YucaLandia

Jun 13, 2015, 3:44 PM

Post #6 of 8 (6313 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
1. I have my residente temporal.Am I obliged to apply for Residente permanente when my temporal expires?or can I just renew as temporal again? Am looking for a way to avoid importing my vehicle if that is possible.
2. is my Canadian drivers license still ok to use or do I have to get a mexican dr license ? sorry to ask questions that no doubt have been asked before....someone told me that if I have permanente, my vehicle has to be nationalized and I need a mex drivers license, but want to make sure -
THANK YOU !!!

Re #1:
The way the govt. procedures work in Mexico vary: It depends on your local INM offices policies.
Spencer McMullin (" Intercasa ") has successfully used a procedure with their INM offices over in the Chapala area and Guadalajara: The last version I read was that they allow the Residente Temporal to lapse, the foreigner goes into the INM office right after the fecha de caducidad, and files for a new Residente Temporal, pays a modest regularización fee/penalty for having an expired visa, and they apply for new RT visa at the Chapala or Guadalajara INM office.

Our Merida INM office expects us to either:
~ Go to the Mexican Consulate in Belize and apply there, or
~ Go to any country where we have a valid visa, and apply at a Mexican Consulate (e.g. Brits with a valid I94(?) can apply at most Mexican Consulates in the USA - like right across the border in Laredo or San Antonio), or
~ Go back to a Mexican consulate in your home country.

Before I made an unnecessary trip out of Mexico, I would check with Lic. Spencer McMullin - aka Intercasa - to find out your options - esp if you are in Jalisco.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

RickS

Jun 13, 2015, 4:12 PM

Post #7 of 8 (6299 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] can residente temporal be renewed after four years?

I think the OP is in Mazatlan.....

fugawibill

Jun 13, 2015, 9:09 PM

Post #8 of 8 (6256 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] can residente temporal be renewed after four years?

If the OP is still in Mazatlán, check with Angel, next door to INM.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4