Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

MC1338

Jun 7, 2015, 9:31 PM

Post #1 of 4 (6039 views)

Shortcut

Bad experiences working in mexico, help?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,

My name is Mason, I'm currently living with my girlfriend in Monterrey, she's american, I'm mexican. She found a job here as a community manager for a mexican marketing agency almost a year and a half ago.

Everything was fine at first, she even got promoted and her boss seemed to be really helpful and friendly. The problem is that lately, she's been having trouble with him and we feel like he's pushing her to quit. The agency is currently struggling to keep and get new american clients and he's forcing her to speak spanish (she's not fluent but she understands what other people say, however he hired her because he needed an american to handle the american clients and he was ok with her not being fluent in spanish).

I'm familiar with the lack of work ethics in the country and I'm afraid he's trying to push her into quitting her job (if he fires her, he has to pay the finiquito). Her work permit has to be renewed within the next 3 weeks and he hasn't even started the process, at the beginning he would speak in english to her but now he refuses to do it and he's asking the staff to stop speaking in english to her as well.
When she asked for a raise, he refused saying that he already spent a lot of money on her visa so he's deducting the expenses from her paycheck and lately he's been giving her more job than usual and he's implying that if she refuses he won't renew her visa.

I'm really mad and we don't know what to do, it's in our plans to marry in the future and we are scared that he's going to get her deported or something. He's known for threatening his employers with law suits if they do something to piss him off. We can't afford a lawyer right now because we are still paying my medical bills and her student loans. She's so desperate that she's considering taking one of those call center jobs and just renewing the visa on our own, is this possible?

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks!

rvgringo

Jun 8, 2015, 9:04 AM

Post #2 of 4 (5976 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MC1338] Bad experiences working in mexico, help?

From your description, it seems that her job is about to end. She might as well make the best of it and start looking for another position, with notification to INM. The call center might be a good step; at least temporarily.
Buena suerte.

chicois8

Jun 8, 2015, 4:01 PM

Post #3 of 4 (5915 views)

Shortcut

Just cancel your work visa, bus to the border and get a tourist permit.

Are you working Mason?
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Maesonna

Jun 9, 2015, 10:57 AM

Post #4 of 4 (5845 views)

Shortcut

“She's so desperate that she's considering taking one of those call center jobs and just renewing the visa on our own, is this possible?”

Maybe. She could try. It seems obvious that she’s not going to get visa support from her present employer, so she might as well go for it.
I haven’t heard anyone say whether they were able to get independiente work status since the visa reform, but it used to be a thing. Some 15 years ago, when my ‘sponsoring employer’ dumped me, I applied for a ‘change of employer’ to work ‘de manera independiente y por su[mi] cuenta [como persona física]’, and I got it no problem*. The only thing is, I don’t know whether they still do this. The other possibility is that if she got a job at the call center, they might support her change of employer – not financially, I wouldn’t expect that, but with a letter to INM stating that they are her employer.

*Almost with no problem – for the change of employer process I had to submit a letter from the ex-employer saying they were no longer my employer, and that took some effort to get them to write the letter and give it to me, since they didn’t really want to do anything at all.

(This post was edited by Maesonna on Jun 9, 2015, 11:01 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4