Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Mexicanbill

Jun 6, 2015, 10:50 AM

Post #1 of 6 (5846 views)

Shortcut

My car, visitor visa vis temporary residency

Can't Post | Private Reply
The car I brought from the states is only allowed here 180 days along with my visitors visa. If I change to a temporary residency can I get an extension on how long the car can remain in Mexico?
Chef William aka MexicanBill

rvgringo

Jun 6, 2015, 2:29 PM

Post #2 of 6 (5825 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MexicanBill] My car, visitor visa vis temporary residency

To get the Residente Temporal Visa, one must leave Mexico (unless there are Mexican family members) and a tourist may not leave the car behind.

So, it will be necessary to drive out of Mexico, apply for the visa approval at a Mexican consulate in your home country, then re-enter with that approval (canje) and complete the visa process in Mexico. As such, a new Importada Temporal will be issued for 30 days and then Aduana must be notified to gain the extension for the 1 year life of the visa. If the visa is renewed for 3 more years, its maximum term, then Aduana must be notified again. At the end of the total of 4 years, the car must be removed from Mexico and replaced with a Mexican plated vehicle. Permanent importation/nationalization is not a viable option and having Mexican plates offers advantages.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jun 6, 2015, 2:40 PM)

Mexicanbill

Jun 6, 2015, 8:28 PM

Post #3 of 6 (5779 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] My car, visitor visa vis temporary residency

Sorry, I let out the part that my wife is a Mexican citizen and owns the property we live it, thus I can make the change to Temp. Res. here in Mexico...

YucaLandia

Jun 7, 2015, 8:01 AM

Post #4 of 6 (5734 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicanbill] My car, visitor visa vis temporary residency

Make the change to Residente Temporal well before your visitor's visa expires.
Notify Aduana in writing of your change in immigration visa status requesting that they extend your TIP to match the expiration date of your new INM visa.
Include your full name (as on passport), your passport ID#, your new INM Residente Temporal's permit's number (from the back of the card), your TIP ID number, and your new INM visa permit's expiration date in the request.

File this request letter well before 2 weeks after your TIP's current expiration date, to preserve your $$ deposit w/Banjercito, because Banjercito's computers automatically confiscate the deposit 2 weeks after the TIP's expiration date - and once confiscated, the deposit is really difficult to recover.

Happy Trails,
steve

More details on this stuff at our main car/vehicle article at: Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jun 7, 2015, 8:03 AM)

Mexicanbill

Jun 9, 2015, 4:27 AM

Post #5 of 6 (5622 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] My car, visitor visa vis temporary residency

Thanks for the information and the heads up on when I will need to remove the car one way or the other. That helps.

Mexicanbill

Jun 9, 2015, 4:30 AM

Post #6 of 6 (5620 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] My car, visitor visa vis temporary residency

Thanks Steve for laying it out this way. I will keep this information on had. We have a newer car in the states that my wife loves and would be easier to drive here in PV so we will take this one back, get rid of it at the same time as we are selling the house. Then we will bring the smaller one back and start the process.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4