Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

La Isla

Sep 5, 2015, 8:02 PM

Post #26 of 32 (8162 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

Can't Post | Private Reply
Read the rest of the article to find out why they're called "burritos".

sparks

Sep 6, 2015, 6:32 AM

Post #27 of 32 (8157 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

In the 1895 Diccionario de Mexicanismos, the burrito was identified as a regional item from Guanajuato and defined as "Tortilla arrollada, con carne u otra cosa dentro, que en Yucatán llaman coçito, y en Cuernavaca y en Mexico, taco" (A rolled tortilla with meat or other ingredients inside, called 'coçito' in Yucatán and 'taco' in the city of Cuernavaca and in Mexico City)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrito

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

AlanMexicali

Sep 6, 2015, 8:00 AM

Post #28 of 32 (8151 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

In Reply To

I can´t find it and what article but have my own theory. A burro is for carrying or a beast of burden. A very large tortilla with food inside wrapped up is a carrying device to transport your lunch out to where you are working, no Tupperware, baggies or aluminum foil in those days. Just cloths. Burrito,.. little burro. Now I am homesick for a SD taco shop burrito.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Sep 6, 2015, 8:01 AM)

La Isla

Sep 6, 2015, 10:04 AM

Post #29 of 32 (8134 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

In Reply To

In Reply To

I can´t find it and what article but have my own theory. A burro is for carrying or a beast of burden. A very large tortilla with food inside wrapped up is a carrying device to transport your lunch out to where you are working, no Tupperware, baggies or aluminum foil in those days. Just cloths. Burrito,.. little burro. Now I am homesick for a SD taco shop burrito.

Don't know why you can't find the article - the link works fine for me. Anyway, you have more or less guessed the origin of the word without any help from the internet!

MazDee

Oct 24, 2015, 7:18 PM

Post #30 of 32 (7901 views)

Shortcut

Re: [irishmexican] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

I just read this long and interesting thread about burritos, and I don't believe anyone ever responded to the Irishman's initial question! After reading all those posts about whether he was or was not doing "real" Mexican food, he obviously gave up on finding a way to keep his beans hot!

irishmexican

Oct 25, 2015, 2:29 AM

Post #31 of 32 (7893 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

wow its my first time logging on here and just seen all the cool posts up above,id like to just answer guys i set up my burrito stall mid july and its going very good every saturday,i just had a gig catering at a hostel for 50 american students last nite and they loved my burritos,i keep the pinto beans moist and warm in a bain marie i was fortunate to get advice from a mexican cook.
I hope to visit mexico one day for sure.
Thanks for all yer interest.
The irishmexican

robt65

Mar 24, 2016, 5:06 AM

Post #32 of 32 (7247 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

Fair Warning !!! - Eating a Breakfast Burrito in San Juan del Rio, QRO !!!!
My first ever experience of eating a much beloved tradition of a McDonalds Breakfast Burrito in San Juan del Rio, QRO was a fast and unforgettable one. First off was the getting used to the fact that breakfast sausage in Mexico is not the same as in many parts of México it is simply a FUD hot dog chopped up and not really breakfast sausage as we have come to know it NOB.

Secondly was the fact that both ends of the burrito were left open, . . . . . . and as I took the first bite of my familiar epicurean delight, the juices came rushing out and promptly squirted all over my nice clean shirt, a "pale yellow color" at that, advertising I was indeed a newly arrived "gringo" eating at this favorite breakfast house before learning to read Spanish and relying on the only familiar word on the menu, . . . . . . . an "old friend" the McDonald's Breakfast Burrito!!!!

Who knows maybe his next client was a fashion designer and stole my idea of making a "Gringo Burrito Shirt" and maybe made a million pesos off of my idea! (smiling) or maybe the owner of the McDonalds franchise who forgot about it right away, as both ends of the McDonald's Breakfast Burrito remain open to this very day! (smiling) (Smiling, not so brightly at that (pardon the pun))

So fair warning . . . . . Bring a bib, or a raincoat at the very least, when eating a McDonald's Breakfast Burrito in San Juan del Rio, QRO ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Mar 24, 2016, 5:30 AM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4