First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

irishmexican

Jun 2, 2015, 2:01 PM

Post #1 of 32 (18787 views)

Shortcut

cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi there
Im an irish man who loves mexican cuisine and especially burrittos,im opening a food stall here in ireland soon sellling burrittos as iv worked in a burritto stall before.Im just looking for advice how to keep pinta beans in a bain marie,will i have to keep topping them up with water to keep them moist after they have been cooked and place din the bain marie??Any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated.

geraldine89

Jul 14, 2015, 3:45 AM

Post #2 of 32 (18658 views)

Shortcut

Re: [irishmexican] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

Bain-marie is really nothing more like a water bath. It just that water helps to cook evenly by distributing the heat. I used for creamy caramel flan recipe. Water helps the flan cook evenly. More heating helped for creamy and silky texture.

(This post was edited by geraldine89 on Jul 14, 2015, 3:47 AM)

La Isla

Jul 14, 2015, 9:06 AM

Post #3 of 32 (18638 views)

Shortcut

Re: [irishmexican] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

But burritos aren't really Mexican food. More like Tex-Mex.

sioux4noff

Jul 27, 2015, 2:05 PM

Post #4 of 32 (18525 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

And how does that help him with his bean question?
Here is Guadalajara we have been to several places that serve burros, burritas and burritos. Various names, similar things. And none of them appear TexMex to this TexMex lovin' former Texan.
Nothing like Freebirds or Chipotle here.

(This post was edited by sioux4noff on Jul 27, 2015, 2:07 PM)

rvgringo

Jul 27, 2015, 2:56 PM

Post #5 of 32 (18514 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

TexMex seems to be a New Mexico/Arizona/Texas/Sonora style of cooking, somewhat different from the style of cooking in the interior of Mexico, which also has many variations from one region to another. After all, NM, AZ and TX were part of Mexico not too long ago, and the Sonoran Desert probably made exchanging recipies with the more southern regions a rather infrequent event. Darwin proved that isolation causes uniqueness, so I guess the same applies to cooks in far distant places.

sioux4noff

Jul 27, 2015, 3:03 PM

Post #6 of 32 (18510 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

Good points, rvgringo. Just because something isn't traditional in your area, or for that matter traditional anywhere, doesn't make it wrong. Cuisines change with time, taste and exposure to new methods and ingredients.

chinagringo

Jul 27, 2015, 3:20 PM

Post #7 of 32 (18503 views)

Shortcut

I beg to differ when it comes to terrible excuse for food called New Mexico style! When smothered in "red or green" is the primary consideration, the poorly prepared concoction below makes little difference. In 11 years of living in this State, the closest respectible Mexican food can be found in Alamosa, CO. Beyond that give us any regional style Mexican food found most anywhere in Mexico!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

rvgringo

Jul 27, 2015, 3:27 PM

Post #8 of 32 (18501 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

You are actually in agreement, as it seems the “regionality“ of New Mexican dishes is all about the chiles, with little regard for “what is underneath“. The cult of hot pepper lovers may flock there simply for the heat. They say it is addictive.
I just go indigestion typing that......

chinagringo

Jul 27, 2015, 3:49 PM

Post #9 of 32 (18498 views)

Shortcut

Believe it or not - we know people who have to carry chile travel kits when traveling to places like San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Memphis, New Orleans, etc to improve entees in recognized fine dining restaurants. They just can't possibly tolerate anything if it doesn't have chile smothering it! When we first moved here, we went out for Italian and you cannot imagine my reaction when served Chicken Fettuccine loaded with hot green chiles! Then again Wendy's and McDonald's both have green chile cheeseburgers and at least one bakery is well known for their Green Chile Apple Pies. To make matters even worse, we have only found two establishments that serve decent Margaritas.

We have enjoyed far more authentic Mexican food in Arizona and Colorado!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

rvgringo

Jul 27, 2015, 3:59 PM

Post #10 of 32 (18494 views)

Shortcut

And I thought the population was sparse here in Arizona, but it is some three times the population of New Mexico. Are those peppers effective birth control measures? Maybe so......

chinagringo

Jul 27, 2015, 4:27 PM

Post #11 of 32 (18490 views)

Shortcut

Say what on the birth control? They still crank them out with guns in their hands and a talent for crime!

How many cities of decent size have had to accept oversight and management by the Department of Justice. In the last month, I have had to add about five streets to my list of "no drive zones" and I only have one of those for Mexico.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

sioux4noff

Jul 27, 2015, 5:08 PM

Post #12 of 32 (18485 views)

Shortcut

An interesting article about burritos popularity in the US. It says burritos were a Mexican invention.
http://www.vox.com/...ry-invention-america

La Isla

Jul 27, 2015, 5:14 PM

Post #13 of 32 (18483 views)

Shortcut

A quick glance at the article confirms my suspicion that the burrito probably originated in northern Mexico close to the border with the US. That could be why you don't find them in places like Mexico City or in areas of the country that are farther south. Since Americans like super-sized everything, that could be why burritos have become so popular in the States, instead of the more modestly-sized taco or tostada.

chinagringo

Jul 27, 2015, 5:19 PM

Post #14 of 32 (18483 views)

Shortcut

So the next question in the natural string would be: where was the breakfast burrito invented?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

sioux4noff

Jul 27, 2015, 8:21 PM

Post #15 of 32 (18472 views)

Shortcut

A quick glance at the article confirms my suspicion that the burrito probably originated in northern Mexico close to the border with the US.

The people in that area of Mexico most likely would disagree with your assessment of burritos not being Mexican.

That could be why you don't find them in places like Mexico City or in areas of the country that are farther south.

As I noted, we have had them in Guadalajara, just did this evening.

cbviajero

Jul 27, 2015, 8:44 PM

Post #16 of 32 (18468 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
So the next question in the natural string would be: where was the breakfast burrito invented?

They might not have been invented there but the best burritos,breakfast,or otherwise,can be found in LA,the burritos in Mexico , even the famous Burritos de Moyahua can't hold a candle to them.imo.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Jul 27, 2015, 8:55 PM)

chinagringo

Jul 28, 2015, 7:03 AM

Post #17 of 32 (18453 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

What perfect timing: just saw a news report of this most excellent new product this morning:
http://www.hatchup.com/

What a perfect addition for the Mexican Pizza Cooks who typically use ketchup as an ingredient!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Anonimo

Jul 30, 2015, 12:04 AM

Post #18 of 32 (18407 views)

Shortcut

That article strains mightily to offer an origin of the burrito. IMO, it didn't have to have a "discoverer" or "inventor, for Pete's sake. It's a flour tortilla wrapped around some food. Any Juan Fulano could have done it.

Saludos,
Anonimo

sioux4noff

Jul 30, 2015, 6:23 AM

Post #19 of 32 (18401 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

True!

AlanMexicali

Sep 5, 2015, 5:49 AM

Post #20 of 32 (18188 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

In Reply To

In Reply To

They might not have been invented there but the best burritos,breakfast,or otherwise,can be found in LA,the burritos in Mexico , even the famous Burritos de Moyahua can't hold a candle to them.imo.

IMO the best burritos can be found at any Mexican taco shop in San Diego. The classic burrito there has no beans or rice added to dilute the meat, guacamole and salsa fresca. In LA they have meat, beans and rice and if you order an "all meat" burrito you are getting what San Diegans have been enjoying for decades at no extra cost like they are in LA. [an all meat burrito costs more] They are huge and have been all along. Thank Roberto´s Taco Shops for this since the 70s.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Sep 5, 2015, 5:54 AM)

chicois8

Sep 5, 2015, 9:18 AM

Post #21 of 32 (18168 views)

Shortcut

I can remember sitting in the Cabo San Lucas bus station in 1977 ordering five burritos for a dollar, all they were was some shredded meat in a rolled up flour tortilla.
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

La Isla

Sep 5, 2015, 4:53 PM

Post #22 of 32 (18154 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

In Reply To
I can remember sitting in the Cabo San Lucas bus station in 1977 ordering five burritos for a dollar, all they were was some shredded meat in a rolled up flour tortilla.

Doesn't sound very appetizing. I´ll stick to tacos, like the yummy shrimp tacos I had today for lunch, thank you very much!

chicois8

Sep 5, 2015, 6:36 PM

Post #23 of 32 (18146 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Doesn't sound very appetizing. I´ll stick to tacos, like the yummy shrimp tacos I had today for lunch, thank you very much!

Actually the meat was pretty tasty, it had to have been simmered in a tomato / chili based broth. Were your tacos 5 for a dollar?

The point I was trying to make was there were foods named burritos back in `77 so when you say burritos are not Mexican you may be mistaken. Maybe the first one was made for a actual old burro..............
San Mateo, California

(This post was edited by chicois8 on Sep 5, 2015, 6:40 PM)

La Isla

Sep 5, 2015, 6:58 PM

Post #24 of 32 (18141 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] cooking pinta beans in a burritto stall

I guess I was wrong. It sounds as though burritos have existed in Mexico at least since 1977 but not in most parts of the country. I wonder where they first appeared and how they got their name. However, I have seen (and eaten) "burritas" in Mexico City.

"Here's a bit of information about the history of the burrito: Burritos [ ] are not so popular as a taco or chilli. Although they were created in Chihuahua, a state from North Mexico, burritos and even fajitas are classified as part of the Tex-Mex culinary specialties. Tex-Mex refers to the dishes created by Mexican families living in Texas. Burritos are mainly eaten in Chihuahua, some other states in the north of the country and United States.
Apart from Chihuahua, the rest of the country wouldn’t recognise burritos as a traditional Mexican dish. Before a burrito a Mexican would choose tacos, quesadillas with spicy sauce o a big plate of enchiladas."

http://www.lexiophiles.com/english/the-true-story-about-burritos

(This post was edited by La Isla on Sep 5, 2015, 7:15 PM)

chicois8

Sep 5, 2015, 7:56 PM

Post #25 of 32 (18135 views)

Shortcut

If you think about it a soft taco is U shaped and a burrito is rolled, maybe someone was making an enchilada and could not afford the sauce,LOL

Like I said earlier the first time may have been made with burro meat.....
San Mateo, California
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4