Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Gringal

Jun 10, 2015, 11:59 AM

Post #51 of 71 (4811 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] For those of you with UCD plates...

| Private Reply
Look at the bright side:
Back in around 2010 when we needed to buy a car, and as far as I know it's still true, they got rid of the onerous law that had you paying a heavy tax for ten years if you bought even a modestly priced new car. This encouraged us to go ahead and buy one, and no doubt others were benefited as well.....especially the car dealers.

Like most governments, many laws are made or eliminated to help business prosper. There's no advantage to the new and used car dealers in expats having an easy route to "legalization", so it's no surprise the authorities are coming down on such processes like a load of cement.

I was amused by the recent era when there were more South Dakota license plates in the grocery store parking lots than there are residents of Clay County, South Dakota. Grin. And yes, a lot of expats have an unbelievable sense of entitlement. It's time they got over it.

cbviajero

Jun 10, 2015, 12:21 PM

Post #52 of 71 (4805 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] For those of you with UCD plates...

| Private Reply

In Reply To

Like most governments, many laws are made or eliminated to help business prosper. There's no advantage to the new and used car dealers in expats having an easy route to "legalization", so it's no surprise the authorities are coming down on such processes like a load of cement.

Re-read the article,there was no mention of ex-pats,we are an insignificant drop in the bucket..
The most affected are Mexicans.

Gringal

Jun 10, 2015, 12:27 PM

Post #53 of 71 (4802 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Wouldn't deny that for a minute. On this and other expat-leaning forums, the howling we hear is from expats, which was the point of my post. We are, indeed, a drop in the bucket and of course the laws are primarily aimed at the general population.

slainte39

Jun 10, 2015, 1:07 PM

Post #54 of 71 (4792 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I agree that the "howling", or the potential market, by the ex-pats has very little to do with the car dealers "howling" and the government crackdown. The entitlement you mentioned is augmented by an over inflated value of the ex-pat influence, by ex-pats, on anything. In reading these so called ex-pat forums, you would think Lake Chapala was the center of the universe.
Most car dealers could care less if there was an easy road to legalization for foreigners or not, and more importantly, there hasn't been, as it has been fraught with scams, scandals, rip offs,.....you name it.
BTW...the onerous tax you mentioned is/was called tenencia, and is still in effect in some states.

(This post was edited by slainte39 on Jun 10, 2015, 1:14 PM)

Gringal

Jun 10, 2015, 1:23 PM

Post #55 of 71 (4784 views)

Shortcut

Re: [slainte39] For those of you with UCD plates...

| Private Reply
I thought (perhaps erroneously) that the "tenencia" was federal, and that it still is levied on the more expensive vehicles. No?

Re the point of the thread, I wonder what proportion of Mexicans to expats used the UCD plates system to get by? Those who would know probably aren't talking, but it certainly was well advertised on at least one expat-leaning forum. Which ones?
Hint: the ones who are posting in English.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Jun 10, 2015, 1:27 PM)

slainte39

Jun 10, 2015, 1:57 PM

Post #56 of 71 (4774 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Nope, tenencia is/was estatal. I do believe there is some sort of luxury tax on high end vehicles now, but not sure if that is federal or estatal, as I haven't purchased new in 10 years.
There was a time when FM2/Inmigrado status, which preceded Permanente, was exempt from tenencia, but that ended in the early 1990's. When the tenencia was in effect in Jalisco, it was a progressively descending tax over the 10 year period.
One of the facilitators pushing UCD "legalization" for foreigners, laid claim to 89 successful work throughs, so it would be a small pct. in my estimation.

Gringal

Jun 10, 2015, 2:10 PM

Post #57 of 71 (4771 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks for the clarification.

89 is indeed, a drop in the bucket. A painful drop in some buckets.

playaboy

Jun 12, 2015, 5:26 AM

Post #58 of 71 (4680 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
 Tenencia were started to pay for the Mexico City Olympics in 1968? Here is an article about it's origins.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elsiglodetorreon.com.mx%2Fnoticia%2F395625.tenencia-vehicular-historia-de-un-impuesto-mu.html

If Sonia's 89 expats were able to receive a GOOD pedimento, a GOOD factura, and license plates from their home States all from the comfort of their homes, Congratulations. You were able to beat the system. Good for you.

The rest are in a holding pattern.

How many expats have gotten stung in this car mess? A lot more than 89.

chinagringo

Jun 12, 2015, 6:52 AM

Post #59 of 71 (4665 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] For those of you with UCD plates...

| Private Reply
Since so few of these people who have paid their money up front and are now in a holding pattern with nothing but promises - I have to wonder if they aren't saying anything with the hopes that new money coming will allow refunds for those who have been "on hold"? Isn't that how Ponzi schemes are structured and ultimately crumble?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

addtocart

Jun 12, 2015, 7:00 AM

Post #60 of 71 (4662 views)

Shortcut

|

In Reply To

If Sonia's 89 expats were able to receive a GOOD pedimento, a GOOD factura, and license plates from their home States all from the comfort of their homes, Congratulations. You were able to beat the system. Good for you.

The rest are in a holding pattern.

How many expats have gotten stung in this car mess? A lot more than 89.

If she is talking about 89 UCD plates, they got NO pedimento, NO factura, and NO plates in their home states. They didn't beat the system, they just joined a corrupted organization that ultimately cheated the poor campesinos it was designed to help.

slainte39

Jun 12, 2015, 8:00 AM

Post #61 of 71 (4646 views)

Shortcut

Re: [addtocart] For those of you with UCD plates...

| Private Reply

As this mess unfolds (even more), maybe she was misquoted and meant to say, "it was only 8 or 9 UCD legalizations" LOL

RickS

Jun 12, 2015, 9:42 AM

Post #62 of 71 (4626 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
If she is talking about 89 UCD plates, they got NO pedimento, NO factura, and NO plates in their home states. They didn't beat the system, they just joined a corrupted organization that ultimately cheated the poor campesinos it was designed to help.

I know it's not popular on many on the forum to report this, but of course she is not talking about 89 UCD plates. Her virtual importing, whether deemed good or bad, resulted in a pedimento and a factura and ultimately plates for the state wherein the owner resided.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jun 12, 2015, 10:12 AM)

addtocart

Jun 12, 2015, 10:10 AM

Post #63 of 71 (4615 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] For those of you with UCD plates...

|

In Reply To

I know it's not popular on many on the forum to report this, but of course she is not talking about 89 UCD plates. Her virtual importing, whether ultimately good or bad, resulted in a pedimento and a factura and ultimately plates for the state wherein the owner resided.

OK, my mistake, but her post on Facebook in the last week stated that only 2006-2007 Nafta vehicles could be imported at the border, but by using "her method" you can import any Nafta vehicle older than 2009, no trip to the border required. What do you think she meant by that?

Just wondering.

RickS

Jun 12, 2015, 10:16 AM

Post #64 of 71 (4608 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I'm not a Facebook follower of hers, but I suspect that is old boilerplate. It is my understanding, but could be wrong, that no one is importing anything, virtual or otherwise, other than 2006-2007 cars and those only at the border.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jun 12, 2015, 10:17 AM)

playaboy

Jun 12, 2015, 10:26 AM

Post #65 of 71 (4602 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
This has nothing to do with popular.

The claim is that using contacts at UCD, the 89 cars were legally imported into Mexico with all the proper Mexican paperwork to support it without going to the border. So far, so good for those folks.

That is a totally different program than driving with UCD paper plates.

addtocart

Jun 12, 2015, 10:40 AM

Post #66 of 71 (4598 views)

Shortcut

|

In Reply To
This has nothing to do with popular.

The claim is that using contacts at UCD, the 89 cars were legally imported into Mexico with all the proper Mexican paperwork to support it without going to the border. So far, so good for those folks.

That is a totally different program than driving with UCD paper plates.

Would these "contacts" at UCD be the same people accused of millions of pesos/dollars in corruption as recently reported on this and other boards?

playaboy

Jun 12, 2015, 10:50 AM

Post #67 of 71 (4597 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
UCD frauds have only recently been reported here. Not to many other expat forums have talked about it. I don't think the Chapala forums discuss all the UCD fraud we have here.

Chapala expats have had scams thrown in their direction since the very beginning when INM announced their changes. I believe the very first scam was Tio Corp in Lake Chapala.

RickS

Jun 12, 2015, 11:12 AM

Post #68 of 71 (4593 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Would these "contacts" at UCD be the same people accused of millions of pesos/dollars in corruption as recently reported on this and other boards?

Well, none of us on any forums could answer that question but asking the question that way might be insinuating that they were.... just like using the word 'scam' (not you) when addressing Sonia's past importing business might be a little underhanded or at least leaving the impression to readers that all is not well for those folks who got their cars imported through her process. None of us currently know whether the process was 'clean' or whether there might be hidden perils awaiting but to insinuate there definitely is, is in my books, not being forthright.

addtocart

Jun 12, 2015, 11:39 AM

Post #69 of 71 (4585 views)

Shortcut

|

In Reply To

Well, none of us on any forums could answer that question but asking the question that way might be insinuating that they were.... just like using the word 'scam' (not you) when addressing Sonia's past importing business might be a little underhanded or at least leaving the impression to readers that all is not well for those folks who got their cars imported through her process. None of us currently know whether the process was 'clean' or whether there might be hidden perils awaiting but to insinuate there definitely is, is in my books, not being forthright.

So maybe I don't read between the lines of my own posts, I'm not insinuating anything, it was just a question. Seems like her contacts at UCD would have to be at a high level to get it done when no one else can.

What I have stated in the past and will stick with, is that a program designed to help poor campesinos drive their trucks around the farm should not be used for gringos to skirt the nationalization rules. I have no dog in this hunt. I bought a new car from a local dealer and it is wearing Mexican plates in my home state with the factura and all paperwork safely locked away. I just never could see any good that could come of the UCD route.

cbviajero

Jun 12, 2015, 11:53 AM

Post #70 of 71 (4581 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I believe the very first scam was Tio Corp in Lake Chapala.

And they are a Canadian company that never repaid the the losses suffered by their clients.

Gringal

Jun 12, 2015, 2:26 PM

Post #71 of 71 (4560 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The TioCorp "system" resulted in some serious losses to those who used it. I don't know if the Sonia/John system was or was not a legal way of getting Mexican plates which can be valid in any state. So far, the information out there is not very helpful.

I do know that it was not covered thoroughly on any board as yet, and on one of them, it was forbidden. People were on their own to vet the matter. This is true of anything one sets out to accomplish in Mexico, whether it's getting legal status, buying a house or getting a car permitted.

For most things of this nature, I pay for the services of a lawyer whose job it is to get the facts, and who has a good reputation for doing so. It's been worth it, every time. "Do-it-youself" methods are very chancy in Mexico and scams of every kind abound.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Jun 12, 2015, 2:28 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4