Shortcut

Post deleted by Elizabeth63 | Private Reply

Guavagto

Jun 2, 2015, 9:25 AM

Post #2 of 7 (4405 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Elizabeth63] driving to Laredo from Ajijic for first time

Can't Post | Private Reply
We drove from San Miguel de Allende last week. I think you would be connecting with our route around San Luis. We did not encounter any undue stops, normal police and military presence.

We left at 8 AM and were in Laredo by five.

There is a great deal of construction on the toll between Saltillo and Monterrey.Also the signs on this stretch are very confusing. At each toll booth there are actually people stationed to try and get people on the right roads

There was very heavy truck traffic in Monterrey before the toll to Nuevo Laredo.

I would opt to spend the night in Saltillo and then heading out the next day to Nuevo Laredo.

Also I would cross at Bridge 2 instead of the Columbia Bridge..

sergio1286

Jun 9, 2015, 1:18 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4271 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Guavagto] driving to Laredo from Ajijic for first time

Hi!

May I ask why would you cross at Bridge 2 instead of Columbia? I am planning a drive to Monterrey from Houston, via Laredo, and I am wondering what border crossing is best.

Thanks!

Guavagto

Jun 9, 2015, 5:59 PM

Post #4 of 7 (4252 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergio1286] driving to Laredo from Ajijic for first time

A well respected poster who lives in Nuevo Laredo has always discourage people from using that route. There is a very deserted stretch after the bridge with little military or police presence. The Columbia Bridge is where trucks cross and the cartels prey on them. Also the cartels travel on secondary roads along the border and usually avoid the main roads. If you cross at Bridge 2 you will immediately have militarily and federal police protection. Not deserted, and lots of people. Our poster travels this area all of the time and usually knows what is going on..........I really trust him and we have never had any trouble using Bridge 2. I've heard some fairly scary stories of attempted carjackings coming from the Columbia Bridge. My rule is to take the advice of someone who lives in the area. My take on San Miguel de Allende would be different than that of a tourist. Hope it helps.

sergio1286

Jun 11, 2015, 1:49 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4187 views)

Shortcut

Thanks, this helps a lot! I will follow your suggestion and cross through bridge 2. I found someone posted the directions to the TIP module under the bridge. I have one last question, how is the construction between Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey (if any)? Thanks again!

Guavagto

Jun 11, 2015, 6:54 PM

Post #6 of 7 (4163 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergio1286] driving to Laredo from Ajijic for first time

More irritating than anything dangerous. As I remember it is closer to Monterrey.You need to be aware that there will be construction and you may be routed onto on side of the road. Just watch your speed and plan on it taking a little longer.

The construction between Monterrey and Saltillo was really IMO potentially dangerous. The lanes going towards Monterrey were limited to one lane for a long strange with the other lanes covered with dirt. People would pass you on the dirt part and the dust prevented you from seeing anything, much like the notorious flog that sometimes covers the area. Everyone driving in the correct lane had their flashers on................Norma

hunteradvisor

Jun 12, 2015, 3:02 AM

Post #7 of 7 (4138 views)

Shortcut

We have driven from PV to Maine a few times now, the latest year about this time. We highly recommend staying at Las Palmas in Matehuala instead of Saltillo, mucho mas tranquillo! We have used the Columbia bridge each time with no problems. Our only challenge last year was having our AC breakdown the month before we left and the cost to repair was nearly $1,000 so we settled on using a spray bottle and having the windows down. We broke up the trip to Maine by visiting family on the way back, but normally we do it in about 5 - 6 days. This year we will head to CA instead. Good Luck with your drive, where will you be in Maine?
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4