Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bandbinden

May 17, 2015, 8:29 PM

Post #1 of 30 (4402 views)

Shortcut

ADVICE PLEASE Temporary Resident Visa

| Private Reply
My wife and I just sold our home in Colorado and are looking to relocate to Puerto Vallarta, MX in late June. We plan on driving our car and have a few questions if any or all can be answered or advice given we would be very grateful.

1) Temporary Resident Visa - We plan on visiting our local Mexican Consulate to drop the application off in person and pay the fee. On the application it asks for purpose of visit. We own an online US corporation so we just plan on still running our company and live in PV. I am not sure what I would put for the purpose of the of the visit if we plan on staying for numerous years to better guarantee approval. Can someone please suggest what to state there? Also how long does it usually take for the local approval? We are under the assumption that this is the first step and then we have to actually apply in person in Mexico. How long do we have to do that and how long then for the Temp. Residency permit to be approved?

2) Temporary Permit for US owned and licensed car - We plan on driving and entering through Nogales, MX. Do we get our temp. permit there and if so how long will that be for and do we have to get another when we get issued the Temp. Residency Permit?

3) Any tips for the drive? We plan on taking the 15 all the way down and plan on a few stops along the way to cut up the drive into a few days taking our time and enjoying the small towns along the way. Any travel advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any time you take responding.

B and B

rvgringo

May 18, 2015, 9:00 AM

Post #2 of 30 (4345 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bandbinden] ADVICE PLEASE Temporary Resident Visa

| Private Reply
1) I suggest that you simply write “Resedencia“ as the purpose of your visit, as it is compatible with the Residente Temporal Visa.
2) You can get your Importada Temporal at the border and it will be good until your visa is actually issued, at which time you must notify Banjercito/Aduana of your change of status from your “canje“ to your visa card within 15 days of issuance. That is a Catch 22 situation which may cost you your deposit, so get help and information locally to make it in time. Then, in a year, you will have to do that again when you renew for either one or three more years. Before the four years are over, you will have to take the car out of Mexico before becoming Residente Permanente.
3) We drove from Chapala to Tucson, crossing at Notales, last October. We had planned to stop in Hermosillo, but construction and rush hour traffic prevented us from finding a motel with our dogs, so we pushed through. Driving was uneventful and the roads were in good shape. We did stop in Culiacan for the one night on the road and used Hotel Paradise on Calle International. It accepts pets, has a good restaurant with room service, was spotless and very secure. We found good streetside seafood around the corner toward centro within a mile.

DigYourself

May 18, 2015, 11:18 AM

Post #3 of 30 (4321 views)

Shortcut

|
Background questions :

- do you have household stuff left in the US ? or are you planning on bringing stuff here or unloading everything there ?

- do you plan on staying in Mexico forever or is this an experiment ?

- do you already have a spot picked out in PV - either own or have a rental agreement ?

- have you already weighed permanent vs temporary residency ?

bandbinden

May 18, 2015, 12:59 PM

Post #4 of 30 (4296 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] ADVICE PLEASE Temporary Resident Visa

| Private Reply

In Reply To
1) I suggest that you simply write “Resedencia“ as the purpose of your visit, as it is compatible with the Residente Temporal Visa.
2) You can get your Importada Temporal at the border and it will be good until your visa is actually issued, at which time you must notify Banjercito/Aduana of your change of status from your “canje“ to your visa card within 15 days of issuance. That is a Catch 22 situation which may cost you your deposit, so get help and information locally to make it in time. Then, in a year, you will have to do that again when you renew for either one or three more years. Before the four years are over, you will have to take the car out of Mexico before becoming Residente Permanente.
3) We drove from Chapala to Tucson, crossing at Notales, last October. We had planned to stop in Hermosillo, but construction and rush hour traffic prevented us from finding a motel with our dogs, so we pushed through. Driving was uneventful and the roads were in good shape. We did stop in Culiacan for the one night on the road and used Hotel Paradise on Calle International. It accepts pets, has a good restaurant with room service, was spotless and very secure. We found good streetside seafood around the corner toward centro within a mile.

1) thank you, that makes complete sense.

2) are you not able to get the four year right off the start and are you forced to get a resident instead of a temporary after the four years expire?

3) Thanks for the driving tips.

bandbinden

May 18, 2015, 1:05 PM

Post #5 of 30 (4289 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] ADVICE PLEASE Temporary Resident Visa

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Background questions :

- do you have household stuff left in the US ? or are you planning on bringing stuff here or unloading everything there ?

- do you plan on staying in Mexico forever or is this an experiment ?

- do you already have a spot picked out in PV - either own or have a rental agreement ?

- have you already weighed permanent vs temporary residency ?

1) We do have household items in the US that we will keep in storage and decide within the first 6 months if we are going to bring more in. If not we will just gift it to our daughter.

2) Life is an experiment so I would have to side with that. We used to live in Bangkok, Thailand for 4 years and then moved back to the US after not very friendly visa laws. Been back in the US for 8 years and ready for an adventure in Mexico.

3) No we don't have a place picked out in PV as we plan to stay in a few different places for 3 months at a time before picking a spot to settle down in.

4) Yes we have and meet the income requirements for both but figured I would start with a Temp since it allows me to bring my foreign plated car without nationalizing it until we convert or it expires.

Hope those answers help.

rvgringo

May 18, 2015, 3:31 PM

Post #6 of 30 (4266 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You have to take the one year Residente Temporal, then apply for three more years when it is within 30 days of expiry.
Please do not plan on nationalizing your car; it is not likely to be possible and, if it were, it will cost more than a ten year old car would warrant, if it were one of the few that might be eligible.
The Residente Temporal is not renewable, but some have let it expire, paid a fine and been able to get a new one. Some have even succeeded in doing that in Mexico, while others have had to go to their home country to do so at a Mexican consulate. Of course, new financial proofs and the canje process will apply all over again, as will the need to take your car out and back into Mexico. So, you might want to consider Residente Permanente from the start, sell your car in the USA and buy one in Mexico. Having a Jalisco plated car does have the advantage of no fees or paperwork at the border, can be driven in the USA and draws less attention from greedy transitos in Mexico.

bandbinden

May 18, 2015, 3:37 PM

Post #7 of 30 (4264 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
You have to take the one year Residente Temporal, then apply for three more years when it is within 30 days of expiry.
Please do not plan on nationalizing your car; it is not likely to be possible and, if it were, it will cost more than a ten year old car would warrant, if it were one of the few that might be eligible.
The Residente Temporal is not renewable, but some have let it expire, paid a fine and been able to get a new one. Some have even succeeded in doing that in Mexico, while others have had to go to their home country to do so at a Mexican consulate. Of course, new financial proofs and the canje process will apply all over again, as will the need to take your car out and back into Mexico. So, you might want to consider Residente Permanente from the start, sell your car in the USA and buy one in Mexico. Having a Jalisco plated car does have the advantage of no fees or paperwork at the border, can be driven in the USA and draws less attention from greedy transitos in Mexico.

Great information, and very appreciated to help us make a more calculated decision.

I have driven quite a bit in Mexico but always in long term rentals. Is there really still a big issue with greedy transistos wanting bribes. Any advice on how to handle it because I read two different views. 1) pay the bribe 2) just get the ticket and pay it at the local station since they are pretty inexpensive and usually reduced quite a bit if paid right away.

rvgringo

May 18, 2015, 4:11 PM

Post #8 of 30 (4255 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yes, there are greedy transitos; even estatales and federales. You may drive for a long time without encountering one, but if you look “new“ you are more of a magnet. I suggest that you never pay a bribe, and just demand the “folio“ as you sit there with your arms crossed. But....some can be very agressive; even threatening physically and they do have guns. The latter may not even be real officers. You have to decide on the spot. Tickets are not paid “at the local station“ in most places, but at the offices of the SAT recaudadora in the municipality. If paid within 5 days, you can save up to 50%. In some areas, they can be paid at certain convenience stores, like OXXO. If you made an infraction and know it, demand the ticket. If it is an apparent scam, wait them out, play dumb and monolingual, or if your Spanish is good just chat him up until he is bored with you.

DigYourself

May 19, 2015, 3:48 AM

Post #9 of 30 (4215 views)

Shortcut

|
A few years back we got hit up for mordida in Acapulco. Something like 3000 pesos ! and that was with our Mexican plated car. We have since heard you should never pay but one thing I'm not clear on is - if you are asked for your credentials and hand them over and then asked for money - how do you get your credentials back without paying ?

DigYourself

May 19, 2015, 4:21 AM

Post #10 of 30 (4213 views)

Shortcut

|
Diversity of opinion - it is one of the things that makes life interesting , right ?

We opted for the permanent route. We have no family left. We held a couple garage sales and then gave a neighbor some really good stuff. There were things we really couldn't see living without (clothes, computers, kitchen stuff, some tools etc) so we bought a small enclosed trailer for the trip. On the day we visited the consulate for the Visas we had in hand a prepared menaje. (Naysayers please be quiet a moment). We got to the consulate early in the morning and were the last people to leave, perhaps 7PM (we did take a long lunch) - but we had our Visas and our approved menaje. We told the guy at the consulate that we were moving for good and had no intention of coming back North. At that point we also had an annual lease for our temporary house in Mexico.

Shortly after arriving in Mexico - while we were still visiting INM in the process of getting our official permanent credentials - my wife started making some calls to see how we could get the car imported. She called Aduana in Mexico City who recommended a firm. (naysayers please be quiet). The paperwork for the car was completed once we had our INM cards. We then drove into Mexico City and completed the nationalization process - once again a full day affair. What was a long process was getting the permanent plates when we got home.

So that is our abbreviated story. The impossible is sometimes possible. (Ok naysayers have at it).

Edit : that is our true story. Things change with time. Perhaps we would not be able to accomplish the same things today - but you never know unless you try...

(This post was edited by cuerna1 on May 19, 2015, 4:23 AM)

bandbinden

May 19, 2015, 10:10 AM

Post #11 of 30 (4145 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Yes, there are greedy transitos; even estatales and federales. You may drive for a long time without encountering one, but if you look “new“ you are more of a magnet. I suggest that you never pay a bribe, and just demand the “folio“ as you sit there with your arms crossed. But....some can be very agressive; even threatening physically and they do have guns. The latter may not even be real officers. You have to decide on the spot. Tickets are not paid “at the local station“ in most places, but at the offices of the SAT recaudadora in the municipality. If paid within 5 days, you can save up to 50%. In some areas, they can be paid at certain convenience stores, like OXXO. If you made an infraction and know it, demand the ticket. If it is an apparent scam, wait them out, play dumb and monolingual, or if your Spanish is good just chat him up until he is bored with you.

Thank you for the info and advice. It's too bad this still happens but unfortunately it is probably not going to go away any time soon. I just thought with the technology advancement of smartphones with video and cameras that this may hinder them a bit more to be aggressive with bribes.

What is the suggested amount of pesos to always carry on you for these situations if they get aggressive with the bribe.

bandbinden

May 19, 2015, 10:11 AM

Post #12 of 30 (4144 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
A few years back we got hit up for mordida in Acapulco. Something like 3000 pesos ! and that was with our Mexican plated car. We have since heard you should never pay but one thing I'm not clear on is - if you are asked for your credentials and hand them over and then asked for money - how do you get your credentials back without paying ?

Exactly, looks like you would be forced to. Or pull out you smartphone and hit record?

bandbinden

May 19, 2015, 10:13 AM

Post #13 of 30 (4143 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Diversity of opinion - it is one of the things that makes life interesting , right ?

We opted for the permanent route. We have no family left. We held a couple garage sales and then gave a neighbor some really good stuff. There were things we really couldn't see living without (clothes, computers, kitchen stuff, some tools etc) so we bought a small enclosed trailer for the trip. On the day we visited the consulate for the Visas we had in hand a prepared menaje. (Naysayers please be quiet a moment). We got to the consulate early in the morning and were the last people to leave, perhaps 7PM (we did take a long lunch) - but we had our Visas and our approved menaje. We told the guy at the consulate that we were moving for good and had no intention of coming back North. At that point we also had an annual lease for our temporary house in Mexico.

Shortly after arriving in Mexico - while we were still visiting INM in the process of getting our official permanent credentials - my wife started making some calls to see how we could get the car imported. She called Aduana in Mexico City who recommended a firm. (naysayers please be quiet). The paperwork for the car was completed once we had our INM cards. We then drove into Mexico City and completed the nationalization process - once again a full day affair. What was a long process was getting the permanent plates when we got home.

So that is our abbreviated story. The impossible is sometimes possible. (Ok naysayers have at it).

Edit : that is our true story. Things change with time. Perhaps we would not be able to accomplish the same things today - but you never know unless you try...

Thanks for the story of your experience. Seems like a little Russian Roulette you never know which way it will go until you try and may get lucky. The question then is do you want to take the chance.

cbviajero

May 19, 2015, 10:42 AM

Post #14 of 30 (4135 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
A few years back we got hit up for mordida in Acapulco. Something like 3000 pesos !

What offense did you commit to warrant such a hefty mordida?

chinagringo

May 19, 2015, 11:29 AM

Post #15 of 30 (4121 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
A few years back, a Mexican college student recorded a incident with the police in San Miguel de Allende and if my memory serves me correctly, things didn't go well for them? Seems that for some unexplained reason, the police didn't care to be recorded and things escalated. We often run with a "dash cam" setup when touring Mexico but the intent is to record the wonders of Mexico and that doesn't include discussions/interactions with any law enforcement!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

DigYourself

May 19, 2015, 11:57 AM

Post #16 of 30 (4113 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] ADVICE PLEASE Temporary Resident Visa

|
It was a two lane road. The right hand lane was being used for parked cars. I was in a flow of other cars. We all went straight through an intersection. The two cops who pulled us over said we supposed to turn left. I posted the experience on Trip adviser and someone else said the same thing happened to him at the same spot.

rvgringo

May 19, 2015, 12:50 PM

Post #17 of 30 (4098 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
It might be unwise to try to photograph any official. Bad things might happen to you and/or your camera/phone.
Having little money in your wallet can be a good idea. Some use two wallets with the second one well hidden, or even left at home.

cbviajero

May 19, 2015, 12:51 PM

Post #18 of 30 (4098 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
It was a two lane road. The right hand lane was being used for parked cars. I was in a flow of other cars. We all went straight through an intersection. The two cops who pulled us over said we supposed to turn left. I posted the experience on Trip adviser and someone else said the same thing happened to him at the same spot.

And you paid a three thousand peso mordida for an infraction that probably would have cost 300 pesos at most.
(Te vieron la cara de pend..o).
Clueless gringos who pay ridiculously exorbitant mordidas just perpetuate the practice and make it harder on the rest of us.

DigYourself

May 19, 2015, 12:56 PM

Post #19 of 30 (4094 views)

Shortcut

|
You think a lot of yourself - don't you.

rvgringo

May 19, 2015, 1:29 PM

Post #20 of 30 (4082 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

And you paid a three thousand peso mordida for an infraction that probably would have cost 300 pesos at most.
(Te vieron la cara de pend..o).
Clueless gringos who pay ridiculously exorbitant mordidas just perpetuate the practice and make it harder on the rest of us.

YucaLandia

May 19, 2015, 1:50 PM

Post #21 of 30 (4072 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Want options when pulled over for a bogus traffic stop?
Check out: “Give me my Ticket…Please ” (Getting Stopped by the Mexican Police):

First, call their bluff: ... (use a very polite, but firm formal tone ... not aggressive)

“Dame mi multa, por favor.” (Please give me my ticket.)

... "If that does not end the negotiation, then go to your First Raise:
Ask for their badge number and name:
"Quiero tu nombre y numero ... por favor."

... Second Raise:
“I want to talk with your Captain/manager.”
Me gustaria hablar con tu jefe.

... Then, if needed, the Third Raise:
“Please take me to the station.”
Por favor, lleveme a la estación de Policia.

Gently but firmly raising the stakes, stepwise, and calling bluffs, lets the officer give in (and give you a scolding) at any point, without the officer losing face. "

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on May 19, 2015, 1:57 PM)

addtocart

May 19, 2015, 1:57 PM

Post #22 of 30 (4065 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] ADVICE PLEASE Temporary Resident Visa

|
Excellent advice.

Argue with someone who:

1.) Thinks he is entitled to take money from you.

2.) Doesn't like gringos to begin with.

3.) Has been out in the hot sun all day.

and the most important of all

4.) Has a gun.

Happy trails, indeed.

YucaLandia

May 19, 2015, 2:04 PM

Post #23 of 30 (4062 views)

Shortcut

Re: [addtocart] ADVICE PLEASE Temporary Resident Visa

| Private Reply
Out come the trolls ...

Rather than sniping, give calm well-planned rationality a try:
35 years of using these steps have resulted in zero problems with Mexican police for me,
40 years of using these steps have resulted in zero problems with Mexican police for my Mexican wife, her sister, her brothers, and our mother.

Calm, cultured, measured, thoughtful replies are unfortunately outside of some people's wheelhouse.

Showing that you speak some decent Spanish, and that you know your rights .... and showing that you know how things really work ... changes the dynamic.

Hostile or fearful or paranoid people should likely not attempt rational dialogues, and should go straight to paying.

It takes a calm reasonable person to make rational legal dialogues work, though.

By gently escalating things only very slowly and politely/professionally, most officers back down, because they do not want to have to spend a lot of time filling out the paperwork at the station ... and later trying to prove their case.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on May 19, 2015, 2:12 PM)

RickS

May 19, 2015, 2:43 PM

Post #24 of 30 (4036 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] ADVICE PLEASE Temporary Resident Visa

| Private Reply
Let's back on track, if there is anything else to add, to the OP's subject/request.

Mod

slainte39

May 19, 2015, 10:35 PM

Post #25 of 30 (3979 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
In response to your query no. 3, yucalandia's post no. 21 is as helpful general advice that you can get. Every situation is unique so you may have to improvise a little, but I've never heard of a transito/vial/federal highway patrol shooting a traffic offender in the attempt to collect mordida.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4