Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

eas1030

May 15, 2015, 11:25 AM

Post #1 of 7 (3726 views)

Shortcut

lower-cost moving options?

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are moving to Estado de Mexico in early July from NYC. We are not bringing any furniture-just boxes of toys, clothes, linens and a few kitchen items. The moving companies are all quoting me their minimum-$3500 to $4000. This is a lot of money considering our belongings aren't even worth that much. LOL. Do we have any other options? Has anyone ever shipped boxes by DHL or FedEx Ground for something like this? Is that even possible? I tried the online calculator for DHL and it keeps telling me service isn't available to my husband's hometown... Any suggestions welcomed!

Thank you!!

E

rvgringo

May 15, 2015, 1:27 PM

Post #2 of 7 (3708 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eas1030] lower-cost moving options?

You might consider a DIY move, as we did back in 2001. We were driving down in an SUV, which had a trailer hitch, so we rented a UHaul trailer and purchased a cargo pod for the top of the SUV. We filled the SUV to the brim, loaded clothing into the pod and put the remaining boxes into the trailer. We drove to Laredo, TX, where we emptied the trailer into a storage unit and returned the trailer to the UHaul agent, as they cannot be taken into Mexico. In the morning, we crossed the border and proceeded to our destination, putting most of our load into a Mexican storage facility until we found a house. When we did, we bought furniture, moved our things over to the house and settled in. A few weeks later, we drove the empty SUV, with pod, back to Laredo to pick up the remaining boxes from storage.....well, all but one box of books, which we had to abandon to a dumpster. It was that close.

DigYourself

May 16, 2015, 3:51 AM

Post #3 of 7 (3651 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
We also drove an SUV pulling a 5 X 8 enclosed trailer. The trailer was almost new when we bought it from the dealer - the previous owner needed something larger. The car held us and the four cats. The trailer was very secure with locks all over including a wheel lock. We had maybe close to 2K USD invested in the trailer (including the Mexican import duties). There aren't many trailers in these parts but we finally found someone recently who had a need so we got back 1K USD. We were extremely cautious driving from the east coast. I had never driven a trailer before. But - we made it all the way here without ever having to back up :-)

playaboy

May 16, 2015, 7:04 AM

Post #4 of 7 (3628 views)

Shortcut

You might look at Estafeta. This is a Mexican company that is equivalent to UPS. They are all over Mexico and do international shipping according to their web site. http://www.estafeta.com/

roberb7

May 18, 2015, 3:02 PM

Post #5 of 7 (3481 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] lower-cost moving options?

http://www.doortodoor.com/ will get your stuff as far as either Laredo or El Paso. (This is an improvement; when I did the move three years ago, they only got as close as San Antonio.) Once you get it that far, you can arrange with a customs broker to get your stuff cleared, then shipped to wherever you're going in Mexico.

chinagringo

May 18, 2015, 4:38 PM

Post #6 of 7 (3470 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] lower-cost moving options?

Wasn't the trailer that you apparently sold for $1K listed on your TIP? If so how do you plan to resolve that issue?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

DigYourself

May 19, 2015, 3:27 AM

Post #7 of 7 (3435 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] lower-cost moving options?

Can't Post |
Apparently ? TIP cancelled when car/trailer nationalized. Thanks for your concern.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4