Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

eas1030

May 12, 2015, 8:52 AM

Post #1 of 21 (8146 views)

Shortcut

health insurance in Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello, all! I am married to a Mexican citizen and my son and I (we are both US citizens. I'm 42, son is 8)are moving to Mexico in July. We were issued the "temporary resident" visa here at the Consulate in NYC. What are our health insurance options in Mexico? Are we eligible for the public health system in Mexico ? Or do we need to buy some sort of private policy? I've been reading about this online, but my head is spinning with information. If you could direct me to some resources, I'd be really appreciative!

Thank you!

E

rvgringo

May 12, 2015, 9:18 AM

Post #2 of 21 (8136 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eas1030] health insurance in Mexico?

You will be eligible for IMSS or Seguro Publico government health programs, but may wish to elect for private insurance and access to private hospitals for better care. The price will increase as you age, but is reasonable at your present age.

DigYourself

May 12, 2015, 3:15 PM

Post #3 of 21 (8085 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Insurance is kind of a personal thing. I think in Mexico the decision even depends on where you will be living, your current health etc. We pay 700-800 USD per year for the two of us at IMSS. We have a very good GP who is conscientious about patient waiting time. She is the best. At the same time I had a 9AM appointment with a cardiologist. We walked away after three hours of waiting. When we rescheduled my wife struck up a conversation with a woman who said - "This guy is one of the best cardiologists in Mexico. I often pay to visit him at his office". In the States, when I was working, I wouldn't wait more than 10 minutes or so for any doctor.

If you go with IMSS it is a laddered acceptance. I believe it takes three years before you receive full benefits. And while prescriptions at the pharmacy are free they may or may not have the medicines. But - if you don't like waiting look into private insurance.

playaboy

May 12, 2015, 4:50 PM

Post #4 of 21 (8054 views)

Shortcut

I have had private health insurance in Mexico for the last 8 years. Compared to the States it is dirt cheap, only 22,000 pesos a year. I get to chose my Dr's and hospitals. In fact I went to the hospital I would want to treat me if I got sick and asked them which company they liked to deal with. That is how I found my policy.

Luckily I am healthy and never had to put in a claim. Now I am fully covered for everything with no pre-existing. I have friends with the same policy and they have never had issues with any claims and were paid promptly.

grammaz

May 18, 2015, 11:37 AM

Post #5 of 21 (7772 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] health insurance in Mexico?

What company are you insured with? I would be interested in knowing the details and how to get information on the coverage. We are both seniors and live in PV. Thanks.

playaboy

May 18, 2015, 11:56 AM

Post #6 of 21 (7769 views)

Shortcut

Re: [grammaz] health insurance in Mexico?

Company is Allianz. There are many others that are good too. Ask the hopital you would like to be treated at who they recommend. That is how I and some friends did it. They recommended my broker too. If you were on the Riviera Maya I would share his name. I have been in good hands with Jorge.

You purchase insurance thru a brokers or agent. Find a broker in your area you want to work with. Then ask them all the questions.

rockydog85251

May 18, 2015, 12:56 PM

Post #7 of 21 (7760 views)

Shortcut

I have IMSS and signed up for it in Colima.....we. now live in Mazatlan and there is a world of difference between the two states so be sure to know where you're going to be and the service, skills offered as well as speaking with others using the same insurance you may decide to get.
Willie

TedZar

May 28, 2015, 2:02 PM

Post #8 of 21 (7167 views)

Shortcut

PlayaBoy wrote: Find a broker in your area you want to work with. Then ask them all the questions.

I agree. I think it is the broker/agent who will go to bat for you with any issues. Find someone everyone local recommends and give them serious consideration. I bought Allianz from a local agent who I think would strongly represent me if there were a dispute over payment. But Allianz was not the issue, the agent was the issue. She liked it best and recommened it and I bought it based on her experience and judgement.

Look for someone realistic rather than pie in the sky.

(This post was edited by TedZar on May 28, 2015, 2:08 PM)

Gringal

May 28, 2015, 8:33 PM

Post #9 of 21 (7102 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TedZar] health insurance in Mexico?

The elephant in the room is the factor about age. Some companies simply will not accept anyone over 70, which leaves those people hanging out to dry. Some charge premiums that are quite unaffordable for the older people.

TedZar

May 29, 2015, 5:16 AM

Post #10 of 21 (7031 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] health insurance in Mexico?

After 70 is a huge problem.

playaboy

May 29, 2015, 8:37 AM

Post #11 of 21 (6997 views)

Shortcut

70? Heck, I just turned 60. I expect a good size increase in my premium this year because of that. Even if they increase the amount 20%, it is still relatively cheap.

rvgringo

May 29, 2015, 11:26 AM

Post #12 of 21 (6974 views)

Shortcut

At 67 and 77, we gave up and sold the home we loved, with everything in it, our Jalisco car, said goodbye to our friends, heighbors and help and reluctantly moved back to the USA. Dental clinics are billing machines, the food is not as good, the roads are better, people are “invisible“, TV is clear as a bell and there are a lot of channels, but the programming is booooooring. There is little to do that does not have a fee and utilities are very expensive, along with the taxes. However, I have the VA Mecical center and she has Medicare and a supplement. I don‘t like it here at all, but ............

Gringal

May 29, 2015, 12:47 PM

Post #13 of 21 (6956 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] health insurance in Mexico?

Look at the bright side:
Your wife won't become a "fallen woman" on the cobblestones.
You won't need a VPN address to get Netflix or the BBC
You can open a bank account anywhere you like.
You're not as likely to get robbed.
If the cops stop you, all you'll get is a ticket.
You won't hear cohetes after midnight.
You can shop at Trader Joe's.
You can easily get some nice cotton sheets that don't have slimy polyester mixed in.
Shoes for men over size 9 are available everywhere.
Streets are paved and they fix the potholes. As I was jolting my back driving home from lunch today, my poor little car hit a subtly hidden pothole that clanged my teeth together.

Well, I could go on, but most everything has a "glass half full/half empty" aspect.

We all miss you, but hope your health care is good, and glad we can connect with you on these web boards.

rvgringo

May 29, 2015, 4:48 PM

Post #14 of 21 (6919 views)

Shortcut

You are right, Gringal. She has fallen on the cobblestones, but I cannot convince her to wear “sensible shoes“.
Does Netflix offer much of interest? I looked once and was not tempted to bite.
I have had the same bank since 1959, when those little gold bars made me eligible. They have been great ever since.
Burglary may be just as prevalent here; maybe even more. We were very secure in Chapala and had no attempts.
You could be right about the cops, but then.....there are their quotas.
I miss cohetes, but understand that I was a missile site commander in the service.
I have heard of Trader Joe but never visited. Tomorrow our Safeway and Albertsons become Haggens. Big buy-out.
Still don‘t need new sheets.
In the winter I looked for warmer shoes at DSW. Only one pair fit. Too many years in sandals widened my feet uncomfortably.
We live a mile beyond the good pavement and everyone is complaining; yet, yes, it beats cobbles.
The water glass is always empty in this 7% humidity and my skin itches.
I think I‘ll go eat worms...........can‘t find any; it is a desert up here.
:)

YucaLandia

May 29, 2015, 5:16 PM

Post #15 of 21 (6914 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
... The water glass is always empty in this 7% humidity and my skin itches.
I think I‘ll go eat worms...........

Best laugh of the day !
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

La Isla

May 29, 2015, 5:39 PM

Post #16 of 21 (6905 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] health insurance in Mexico?

In Reply To

In Reply To
... The water glass is always empty in this 7% humidity and my skin itches.
I think I‘ll go eat worms...........

Best laugh of the day !

Glad to see that rv'ssense of humor is helping him to deal with his new life in Arizona!

rvgringo

May 29, 2015, 5:51 PM

Post #17 of 21 (6902 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] health insurance in Mexico?

It may be the only sense I have left. Some of the others are departing. What does senseless feel like? Oh, an oxymoron, I think.

La Isla

May 29, 2015, 5:59 PM

Post #18 of 21 (6900 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
It may be the only sense I have left. Some of the others are departing. What does senseless feel like? Oh, an oxymoron, I think.

A great oxymoron!

fugawibill

May 29, 2015, 7:11 PM

Post #19 of 21 (6887 views)

Shortcut

I'm 73, and my 4th year renewal at IMSS here in Mazatlán will be $4,600mx. I have never used it locally, but it is reassuring that I am covered when I travel Mexico during the summer months. They may not cover an expensive procedure, but will patch you up so you can return to your home hospital.
For minor problems, one can always visit Farmacia Guadalajara, where the visit is free if you purchase medication. Some Farmacia Similares also have doctors next door. For something more complicated, I can visit the hospital which is across the street from my apartment.
If one has a serious problem that can wait, Phoenix and Medicare are not that far away. I understand that evacuation insurance is not that expensive.

rockydog85251

May 29, 2015, 8:12 PM

Post #20 of 21 (6862 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fugawibill] health insurance in Mexico?

When you do travel, be sure to get your letter from IMSS stating that you are covered outside your domicile. It seems their computers are not all integrated in order to share your membership info.
Willie

fugawibill

May 29, 2015, 9:05 PM

Post #21 of 21 (6846 views)

Shortcut

That I do, otherwise they will not honor your insurance. The Vigencia is good for 56 days. If gone longer, it must be renewed by someone at your home hospital. There is no charge for the document.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4