Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

steve.lafler

May 10, 2015, 7:05 AM

Post #1 of 10 (6317 views)

Shortcut

How to Junk Broken U.S. Car & get refund?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm on a 6 month tourist visa with my car. It won't make it back to the border, any advice on how to junk it and get my car deposit back? I know this is going to be serious red tape. Thanks!

rvgringo

May 10, 2015, 10:10 AM

Post #2 of 10 (6297 views)

Shortcut

Re: [steve.lafler] How to Junk Broken U.S. Car & get refund?

You may have to jump through so many hoops, only to find that you are still obliged to remove the car from Mexico.
Is it towable? You may have to have an iron-worker rig up a towbar and find a friend willing to tow it north for disposal in the USA.
As far as I know, Aduana has little interest in solving this problem and I know of no simple procedure. Perhaps Spencer/Intercasa can advise you.

Aaron+

May 10, 2015, 4:25 PM

Post #3 of 10 (6273 views)

Shortcut

Well, maybe your case is not without hope...

SAT/Aduana administers the procedure of temporary imports to Mexico, and at one point (which means I do not know if the year 2006 form I have is still applicable) there was an Annex 6 on abandoning/donating to the Government temporarily imported vehicles that suffered major accidents. The form indicates that the accidents had to be reported to the police authorities (or Fiscalia General perhaps) and a report received by the claimant. However, I had been verbally informed by SAT that the annex also covered a car that had failed mechanically and could not be repaired. I was told to deal with the legal administrative officer in the main SAT office in Merida rather than with the Aduana at the nearby port of entry.

I cannot tell you how easy or difficult the procedure is. Several years ago I should have gone through the process for my 1970 Prius whose (replacement) major battery failed. At that point, I was not up to dealing with SAT. So the car sits unmovable in my car port as a reminder to all that here lies a lemon Prius. (Later on the gear shift mechanism also was damaged...)

playaboy

May 10, 2015, 6:21 PM

Post #4 of 10 (6265 views)

Shortcut

Where is the car located?

chinagringo

May 11, 2015, 6:20 AM

Post #5 of 10 (6231 views)

Shortcut

Maybe you would like to explain just how your latest post lines up with your prior posts dating back to January of 2012:
http://www.mexconnect.com/...=Show+user%27s+posts
Something doesn't pass the "sniff test" in my book?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

steve.lafler

May 11, 2015, 8:13 AM

Post #6 of 10 (6220 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] How to Junk Broken U.S. Car & get refund?

I'd heard that you can turn a car over to the Federal Highway Patrol (PFP), beginning the paperwork to get your deposit back, then you turn the vehicle over to a govt. wrecking yard. Then you have to forever present this paperwork art the border to permit a different vehicle. A typically Byzantine solution to a straightforward problem.
Has anyone else heard of this?

I'm in Oaxaca, I think the PFP office is near San Sebastian Etla, a few miles from the city, where the Mexico City cuota breaks off from the libre road. I'll have to investigate all of this further.

The vehicle could probably make it to the border, but I think I'd prefer to not risk it, the suspension and transmission are pretty funky just about now! Don't want to break down outside of Monterrey or some such spot.

steve.lafler

May 11, 2015, 8:17 AM

Post #7 of 10 (6218 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] How to Junk Broken U.S. Car & get refund?

To Chinagringo, not sure what you mean, does not pass the sniff test. What are you implying?

I've lived in Mexico most of the time for several years, and I've often driven back and forth to the US. So, my posts tend to seek advice on driving to the border and back. Also, I'm posting under my actual name, so clearly there is no subterfuge going on.

playaboy

May 11, 2015, 8:49 AM

Post #8 of 10 (6212 views)

Shortcut

Steve, since you have driven back NOB several times with the Toyota over the years, why didn't you just sell it one of those times? Why did you wait until it is junk?

Since it is drivable you will probably be told to take the car out of Mexico. You nervousness about driving your mechanically suspect car doesn't count. If you can make it to Monterrey than you will probably make it the rest of the way. Or tow it.

I have worked with many people that have tried to do donate their cars or junk them. Not one of them have been able to do it in country. It has to be in an accident. Since you are in the mountains just push it over a cliff. You could take it to the chop shop and forget about your deposit or bringing in another TIP car.

If you figure out the way to accomplish cancelling the TIP and getting your deposit refunded, let us all know.

steve.lafler

May 11, 2015, 8:55 AM

Post #9 of 10 (6209 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] How to Junk Broken U.S. Car & get refund?

thanks Playaboy.
It's a Toyota RAV4 with 160K miles. I guess hope springs eternal that it will reach 200K. Not likely without a big cash infusion. I may try the border run yet.

Moisheh

May 14, 2015, 10:17 AM

Post #10 of 10 (6125 views)

Shortcut

There is a way to do this but it is very difficult. Not worth the effort. You have to send a bunch of paperwork to Mexico City . Half he time they do not respond!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4