Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

kmetzger

May 7, 2015, 4:42 PM

Post #1 of 15 (7882 views)

Shortcut

Using Mexican ATM card in the US

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can I use my BBVA Bancomer ATM card in the US?

John Shrall

May 8, 2015, 8:09 AM

Post #2 of 15 (7812 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kmetzger] Using Mexican ATM card in the US

If the Plus or Cirrus logo is on the back of the card then yes, it will work on any ATM in the world that carries the same logo.

kmetzger

May 8, 2015, 9:07 AM

Post #3 of 15 (7798 views)

Shortcut

Re: [John Shrall] Using Mexican ATM card in the US

Thank you, John. It's got the RED and Plus logo on it.

(This post was edited by kmetzger on May 8, 2015, 9:08 AM)

Kimpatsu Hekigan

May 8, 2015, 11:38 AM

Post #4 of 15 (7770 views)

Shortcut

Be sure to notify Bancomer in advance that you will using your ATM debit card outside of Mexico.

You can try their 800 number, but this may require an in-person visit to a Bancomer branch.

You will be asked the countries you plan to visit and the exact dates during which you will be using your card abroad.

Failure to do this will result in your account being blocked the first time you try to use your card and possible cancellation of that card (meaning you'll have to apply for another one when you return to Mexico).

-- K.H.

The Disciple lamented, "Master! Why is my life beset with problems?!"
The Master observed, "Only tourists step in dog droppings."

John Shrall

May 8, 2015, 3:30 PM

Post #5 of 15 (7734 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kimpatsu Hekigan] Using Mexican ATM card in the US

You can certainly try to inform Bancomer of your travel destinations but that sort of notification is primarily geared toward credit card transactions, not debit from an ATM. There's a big jump in security between the 2.

On the ATM side, the bank software would have to dig deep into the transaction request to even see the country of origin. I spent lots of years writing software to process ATM transactions and country of origin was never even considered.

Now you could be faced with currency exchange fees from Bancomer that could range from 1% to as high as 5%. Lots of people in Mexico have perfected the art of avoiding such fees from their US banks. You could ask someone at Bancomer about possible fees for ATM transactions outside of Mexico.

kmetzger

May 11, 2015, 9:17 AM

Post #6 of 15 (7604 views)

Shortcut

I just asked an administrator at Bancomer about this question. I'm glad I did, because you have to call an 800 number in the US before using the card. I hope it works.

John Shrall

May 11, 2015, 10:41 AM

Post #7 of 15 (7586 views)

Shortcut

Good luck. I hope it works for you. Report on your findings when you return.

You might want to have a Plan B unless you really trust Bancomer.

I've used my Ameritrade ATM card throughout Mexico and from Nairobi to Warsaw, Buenos Aires and Halifax without ever having to make a call.

kmetzger

May 23, 2015, 12:37 PM

Post #8 of 15 (7136 views)

Shortcut

Here's a follow-up on my Bancomer ATM card experience. What the bank clerk told me about calling an 800 number in the US before using the card was nonsense. I called the number and went through a painful process of giving my data on the phone with a poor connection. After repeating my name etc. several times using the phonetic alphabet, the assistant transferred me to another office. I repeated everything again and was given a phone number in Mexico to "activate" my card. It turned out the connection was so bad, I didn't write down the right number and gave up. I then used the card at an ATM and got cash every time I used it. The rental car agency even charged their fee against the card and it worked easily.
In fact it was easier than using the card in Mexico. To link my account to a PayPal account, I have to activate alert Bancomer Alerts service to a cell phone to receive SMS notifications. I still don't know what that means.

(This post was edited by kmetzger on May 23, 2015, 1:58 PM)

stevebrtx

May 23, 2015, 1:14 PM

Post #9 of 15 (7122 views)

Shortcut

Over the past 7 years I've used my Bancomer debit card in the US a number of times in restaurants. Now that I'm in TX I have used it recently at Home Depot, Lowes and Discount Tire all for purchases in excess of $600USD, no question, no problems - other than that lousy exchange rate, but it is what it is, you take your lumps and move along.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

DigYourself

May 23, 2015, 1:27 PM

Post #10 of 15 (7120 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Using Mexican ATM card in the US

Can't Post |
On the flip side of that - we spent nearly 7000 pesos today at Costco (new pressure washer and other stuff). I used my HSBC US credit card. With USD/MXN at around 15.30 or so we will probably get better than 15.00 exchange rate - and no other fees.

rvgringo

May 23, 2015, 3:44 PM

Post #11 of 15 (7098 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] Using Mexican ATM card in the US

BBVA, a Spanish bank, also exists in the USA as Compass Bank, so the use of BBVA cards should be seamless, as the OP discovered.

DigYourself

May 23, 2015, 4:04 PM

Post #12 of 15 (7094 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Using Mexican ATM card in the US

Can't Post |
Sorry - I'm not naive when it comes to banking etc.

Could you please provide some math - thank you sir.

rvgringo

May 23, 2015, 4:26 PM

Post #13 of 15 (7083 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] Using Mexican ATM card in the US

Math for what? I simply noted that BBVA Compass Bank is in the USA. I don‘t use it, but it is just down the street and we pass it often.

stevebrtx

May 23, 2015, 6:20 PM

Post #14 of 15 (7063 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Using Mexican ATM card in the US

I have accounts in both banks, "seamless" unfortunately is not a term used in international banking. The websites both are obviously "pushed down" by corp BBVA, that's where commonality ends, international banking laws don't actually allow "connection" of the two. Moving money between the two etc. is just the same as two totally separate bank corps. You get no privilege, no speed of transaction and no "handshake" in transactions that I ever noticed. Such is international banking law.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

rvgringo

May 24, 2015, 9:11 AM

Post #15 of 15 (6981 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Using Mexican ATM card in the US

We were not discussing transfers, wires or other “communications/connections“ between subsidiaries of BBVA in various countries. The topic is ‘Using Mexican ATM card in the US‘. Nada mas.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4