Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

tejolot3

May 6, 2015, 8:51 AM

Post #1 of 9 (6814 views)

Shortcut

FMM pre-authorization

Can't Post | Private Reply
I just submitted a pre-authorization form for a tourist card. This is the first time I've done so; I always just fill everything out at the border office on the way south.

It still remains a little unclear to me exactly what the benefit is, though, so I was hoping someone on here could shed some light. Will I still have to fill out a paper form at the border office? If so, then I'm struggling to see what exactly the pre-autho accomplishes. I'm having everybody on our twelve-person team do the pre-autho as well, and I'd like to know what to expect at the INM office.

AlanMexicali

May 6, 2015, 9:00 AM

Post #2 of 9 (6810 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tejolot3] FMM pre-authorization

In Reply To
I just submitted a pre-authorization form for a tourist card. This is the first time I've done so; I always just fill everything out at the border office on the way south.

It still remains a little unclear to me exactly what the benefit is, though, so I was hoping someone on here could shed some light. Will I still have to fill out a paper form at the border office? If so, then I'm struggling to see what exactly the pre-autho accomplishes. I'm having everybody on our twelve-person team do the pre-autho as well, and I'd like to know what to expect at the INM office.

When you apply for a Temporary Import Permit [TIP] for a vehicle on line that they mail to your US address you first have to get preauthorized for a FMM tourist card. The 2 applications are 2 different agencies.

When you get to the INM office at the border give them the printout you have to recieve the FMM tourist card and pay for it. No different than if you were not preauthorized by applying on line at the INM website.

tejolot3

May 6, 2015, 9:07 AM

Post #3 of 9 (6806 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] FMM pre-authorization

I'm not using the FMM pre-autho to get the TIP ahead of time, as I prefer to pay cash for everything on these trips. So that part is moot.

But... So will we still have to fill out the whole paper FMM by hand, the same as we would without the pre-autho? Was it a waste of time to have done it online?

AlanMexicali

May 6, 2015, 9:12 AM

Post #4 of 9 (6803 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I'm not using the FMM pre-autho to get the TIP ahead of time, as I prefer to pay cash for everything on these trips. So that part is moot.

But... So will we still have to fill out the whole paper FMM by hand, the same as we would without the pre-autho? Was it a waste of time to have done it online?

In your case then it was a waste of time. It is only required when getting a TIP on line delivered to a US address.

RickS

May 6, 2015, 1:17 PM

Post #5 of 9 (6769 views)

Shortcut

What were the 'circumstances' and what process/how did you use to apply for this pre-authorization of the tourist card? Sounds like it was not 'during' a process to get a TIP. Just curious... as I've never done/seen this done.

chinagringo

May 6, 2015, 7:18 PM

Post #6 of 9 (6752 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] FMM pre-authorization

This all can be very confusing but I ran across references to residents of various countries who are not allowed to get the typical "Tourist Permit" and must obtain an actual visa. Since there is a "Pre-Authorization form for this type of visa, I am thinking the OP stumbled on this by accident?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

AlanMexicali

May 6, 2015, 8:11 PM

Post #7 of 9 (6743 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] FMM pre-authorization

In Reply To
This all can be very confusing but I ran across references to residents of various countries who are not allowed to get the typical "Tourist Permit" and must obtain an actual visa. Since there is a "Pre-Authorization form for this type of visa, I am thinking the OP stumbled on this by accident?

http://www.inm.gob.mx/index.php/page/Pre_Autorizacion/en.html

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/opcionCaptura.do;jsessionid=5CBAE6AA49BECCA6246381D4D6CBB565

It can be found on the Banjercito on line TIP application page, the link at the bottom.

(This post was edited by RickS on May 6, 2015, 9:00 PM)

chinagringo

May 7, 2015, 9:55 AM

Post #8 of 9 (6715 views)

Shortcut

Alan:

Please correct me if I am wrong but aren't the FMM and the TIP two different processes regulated by two different Govt. entities?

While I found written references to a pre-authorization document for citizens from countries that are required to get an actual visa to even visit Mexico instead of the Tourist Permit, I didn't spend enough time to find an actual link to such.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

tejolot3

May 11, 2015, 7:39 AM

Post #9 of 9 (6632 views)

Shortcut

I knew that there was a pre-authorization process available for the FMM. I also knew that one could apply for a TIP online. What I didn't know until I'd already filled out the FMM pre-autho online is that its purpose is to aid in getting a TIP. Since I'll be doing that part in person at the border office, I was curious if the FMM pre-autho was a complete waste, or if it would in fact save me from having to complete the FMM by hand in full upon arrival at the border office.

FWIW, the main reason I decided to try the online FMM pre-autho is that I've heard some border officials at Allende refuse to issue 7-day FMMs, which are free. I was hoping that being pre-approved for 7 days would help my case in the event that I encountered such an official. With 11 of us traveling, the difference between free and not free FMMs is significant. I know probably no one else on here ever has need for a 7-day FMM, but I only bring that up because it helps to explain why I bothered in the first place. 7-day FMMs are pretty much all I deal with, since our annual trips to Mexico are always less than seven days long (at least the portion south of the border). I haven't actually paid for a full FMM since 2001. Our annual trips started in 2009.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4