Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

robt65

Apr 29, 2015, 2:04 AM

Post #1 of 10 (7198 views)

Shortcut

Just A Fun Quiz To Take

Can't Post | Private Reply
A Lot of these old cars made it into Mexico. Some can probably still be found here in México today.
I remember seeing one of the old Studebakers here in San Juan del Rio on a Ejido (sp?) land just outside of town but in really, really rough shape.

I found this to be a really fun memory quiz to take. It can be found here http://www.revolvy.com/...OB3c-11-21-newtitles

Then look for "Around the Web' and this subtitle;"1940s Vehicles" quiz. Can you identify the brand of these vehicles from the 1940s? (Revolvy Nowhere)

Credit to http://asia.nikkei.com

I didn't do so good at this as I missed four of the twelve, but it was fun. By the way, . . . . . . . . How did you do?

Regards,
Robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Apr 29, 2015, 3:52 AM)

sparks

Apr 29, 2015, 7:12 AM

Post #2 of 10 (7165 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Just A Fun Quiz To Take

First link didn't work ..... are they the same?

Awful slow way to take a quiz ....

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

(This post was edited by sparks on Apr 29, 2015, 7:14 AM)

robt65

Apr 29, 2015, 10:51 AM

Post #3 of 10 (7129 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Just A Fun Quiz To Take

Couldn't agree more Sparks, it is a slow way to make a quiz, but it didn't diminish the enjoyment of the quiz. but then some of us are not always looking on the dark side. Life is simple Sparks, take the quiz and enjoy the experience, or simply move on without derogatory comment.
Regards,
Robt65

YucaLandia

Apr 29, 2015, 9:27 PM

Post #4 of 10 (7085 views)

Shortcut

For a mere child of less than 60, the quiz was fun: 11 of 12.

The Ford product - made only for Canada, (the "Meteor") - fooled me. I thought it had Mercury lines, so they were clever to include Mercury as a bogus choice. A number of the late 1950's Ford/Mercury models used the same design elements as their 1940's Meteor trial in Canada.

It surprised me how distinctive each of the maker's lines were, making Peugeots so very different from Opels, Saabs, and Morrissss.

The Lincoln buffaloed me for a bit - especially since the US models from the early war years and immediately post war were such low volume and ... almost non-descript , that its difficult to recall them:

Thanks for the good memories, especially since the 1940's were sort of a lost decade for cars, especially compared to the 1930's and 1950's varieties of big distinctive style changes.

Imagine this in a rich burgundy:

One of my favorite cars to work on.*

and a real head-turner when I was forced to take it on test drives after completing repairs.

Happy Trails
and THANKS to Robert for some nice memories, like falling asleep in the back seats of them on the way home from Grandma's house
steve

*This 1938 _________ was especially fun to repair, since the owner wanted to keep things as original as possible, w/ cloth-covered wiring, etc. The biggest challenge came when the bakelite-backed horn button in the center of the steering wheel broke - and the owner lost some of the pieces. Stainless steel mesh did wonders.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 29, 2015, 9:33 PM)

robt65

Apr 30, 2015, 2:37 AM

Post #5 of 10 (7075 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Just A Fun Quiz To Take

Was that 1938 model beige color coupe convertible a Nash or a Pontiac? Just a wild guess. . . . . . .or maybe a dodge?

Regards,

Robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Apr 30, 2015, 2:38 AM)

esperanza

Apr 30, 2015, 5:31 AM

Post #6 of 10 (7067 views)

Shortcut

You car buffs will enjoy this website, I'm sure. Twenty-odd years ago, a Mexican client of mine from Ensenada entered his cars in this competition and won quite a few trophies.

Read all about the Concours and see the fabulous photos:
http://www.pebblebeachconcours.net/

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Apr 30, 2015, 5:32 AM)

robt65

Apr 30, 2015, 5:39 AM

Post #7 of 10 (7062 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Just A Fun Quiz To Take

I am sue there are many American classic cars around Mexico. With some of the climates being more hospitable to metal than others, I would think some of them can still be refurbished and be a real collectors item. I know have seen some very old 1934 and 1940 pickups (Fords and Chevrolets) around San Juan del Rio that have been restored and are living a happy Mexican life.
Regards,
Robt65

johanson

Apr 30, 2015, 10:07 AM

Post #8 of 10 (7039 views)

Shortcut

I did better than a very few of you. I only got 5 out of 12. And I thought I knew my cars :)

robt65

Apr 30, 2015, 11:18 AM

Post #9 of 10 (7029 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Just A Fun Quiz To Take

Hey johanson,
Yeah! . . . . . . . I know the feeling. I thought it would be a snap . . . . . . well something snapped alright . . . . . . I think it was my memory! Then they tried to make me feel better by telling me I did better than 38% of the general population or something like that! (smiling)
robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Apr 30, 2015, 11:20 AM)

YucaLandia

Apr 30, 2015, 8:33 PM

Post #10 of 10 (6996 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Was that 1938 model beige color coupe convertible a Nash or a Pontiac? Just a wild guess. . . . . . .or maybe a dodge?

Regards,

Robt65

'38 La Salle - Rag top.

The story goes: Cadillac found that their sales were limited due to their high prices, so they started the La Salle brand as a stylish but more economical alternative to Caddies. La Salles disappeared in 1940 ...

It was a sweet driving coupe, with soft knee-action front suspension:

-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 30, 2015, 8:36 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4