Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

genopaci

Apr 22, 2015, 11:13 AM

Post #1 of 9 (10649 views)

Shortcut

Postage from Mexico to US

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am getting married in the US. Most of my fiancé's family is from Mexico. We want to put postage on the RSVP return envelope. Can anyone tell me the cost of 'first class' postage from Mexico to the US? And is there an online web site where I can purchase the stamps? Thanks for the help !!!!!

sioux4noff

Apr 23, 2015, 8:34 AM

Post #2 of 9 (10565 views)

Shortcut

Re: [genopaci] Postage from Mexico to US

I can't help you with the cost.
But I have a suggestion you've probably already considered, which is to do as much inviting/RSVPing either on line or by phone.
Since we've lived in Mexico we've been invited to several US weddings and if we relied on the mail, we never would have gotten our invitation in enough time to mail back an RSVP.

sparks

Apr 23, 2015, 10:48 AM

Post #3 of 9 (10551 views)

Shortcut

Sent a registered letter from the coast to Jalisco to Seattle at the end of October and it reached family the 14th of December.

1st class ??
Registered about 13 pesos
Normal about 7-8

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Aaron+

Apr 23, 2015, 3:42 PM

Post #4 of 9 (10530 views)

Shortcut

For first class rates, Mexico to USA, go to http://www.correosdemexico.gob.mx/...inas/Individual.aspx and then select choice 6, international. Zone A is the USA (and, I believe, Canada). 11.50 pesos for 20 grams, 18 pesos for up to 50 grams.

Unlike the USPO, the Mexican PO does not sell online. Do not know of an online source.

If you really want to do this, and have months in advance, send a trusted relative or friend in Mexico a package of pre-addressed filled envelopes via DHL etc and pay him/her to place domestic Mexican postage on the envelopes to those invited and international rate postage on the return envelopes. Or better yet, do it yourself on a trip down to Mexico several months prior to your wedding. The invitations preferably should be mailed out from a post office in one of the principal Mexican cities: Mexico, Guadalajara, or Monterrey. Do not mail from a small Mexican town, preferably do not mail in a mail box.

A caution, RSVP'g is not customary within Mexico, certainly does not work down here in the Yucatan! You will have follow up, track down each invitee, and ask for confirmation. Even then be prepared for those who confirm not to show, and those that come to bring surprise guests.

¡Mazel tov!

Maesonna

Apr 24, 2015, 9:44 AM

Post #5 of 9 (10492 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Postage from Mexico to US

(At least in my experience, I don’t know how generalized this is all over Mexico, or in all social classes), wedding invitations are not mailed. There is a custom by which the bride (mostly) accompanied by her mother or other family member goes around hand-delivering the invitations. As a guest receiving an invitation, you invite them in for a short chat and maybe a drink or a coffee. It must take weeks for large weddings! I don’t know what people do for out-of-town or out-of-country invitations, but I think Aaron’s idea of mailing (or better, sending via a courier company) all the invitations to one family of relatives (or one in each region, if they live in different areas) and deputizing them to deliver the invites might be your best bet.

And as for the RSVP – even if you can get an answer from people, many will say they are coming whether it’s true or not because it is ‘rude’ to give a negative answer. In your case you might get a truthful answer by asking a reliable informant in the family to tell you who has bought tickets and got visas to attend the wedding.

(This post was edited by Maesonna on Apr 24, 2015, 9:48 AM)

viktoremski

Apr 24, 2015, 12:20 PM

Post #6 of 9 (10464 views)

Shortcut

I mailed eight postcards from the main post office in DF. That was in mid nineties. None of them has been received yet...

leegleze

Jun 5, 2015, 10:09 PM

Post #7 of 9 (8738 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viktoremski] Postage from Mexico to US

I never use Mexico's postal service. Why? Read on:

1. Mom sent four blouses in a large envelope in October 2013. I've not received them.

2. My son sent a Christmas present in November 2009. The decorated box arrived in March 2010, but all the contents were missing.

3. Because there's a zip code the same as my Mexican one in Missouri, a birthday card sent from Canada in August 2012 had travelled first to Seattle, then to Missouri, then to the Yukon, back to Vancouver, over to Toronto, and through Phoenix before ending up at my home. It took just over six months to get here.

4. Books I ordered from Wiconsin in 2011 have not arrived, nor has an order from Mexico City sent in 2006.

Ironically, mail to or from Europe and Britain generally takes a week or less!!!
~ Roxana in Bucerias ~

Lilmsmaggie

Jun 22, 2015, 11:49 AM

Post #8 of 9 (8078 views)

Shortcut

Re: [leegleze] Postage from Mexico to US

That bad? And I was thinking of sending a postcard to a friend in Los Angeles while in Puerto Vallarta next month.

What is Mexpost?

In Reply To

I never use Mexico's postal service. Why? Read on:

1. Mom sent four blouses in a large envelope in October 2013. I've not received them.

2. My son sent a Christmas present in November 2009. The decorated box arrived in March 2010, but all the contents were missing.

3. Because there's a zip code the same as my Mexican one in Missouri, a birthday card sent from Canada in August 2012 had travelled first to Seattle, then to Missouri, then to the Yukon, back to Vancouver, over to Toronto, and through Phoenix before ending up at my home. It took just over six months to get here.

4. Books I ordered from Wiconsin in 2011 have not arrived, nor has an order from Mexico City sent in 2006.

Ironically, mail to or from Europe and Britain generally takes a week or less!!!

Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

bronco

Aug 2, 2015, 5:36 PM

Post #9 of 9 (7364 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lilmsmaggie] Postage from Mexico to US

i have been sending documents/letters from mex to US. (basically checks to the US bank). it costs 35 pesos "registered mail". there is a track/trace mexpost websight. it tells you where the letter is. if the trace feature doesnt work you can email them. they answer in spanish w/an update. both times my mail arrived in exactly 16 days (including wkends & holidays). receiving mail is another story. it can be 10 days or 3 weeks from US. canada took 2 months.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4