Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Mrcool

Apr 17, 2015, 5:39 PM

Post #1 of 13 (4277 views)

Shortcut

Moving ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
 My wife and I are thinking of moving to Mexico and have some questions which area is a good place for semi resort on a budget with some med city amenities nice restaurants shops entertainment... Again on a budget. Also is travel safe by car I would be pulling a small trailer with some personal,things. Are roads good ? Safe? And how long say from south Texas to say Merida? Any help would be appreciated we are visiting for a short stay in playa del carmen on the 21 flying in and is any work available for Americans we are both musicians and my wife also teaches yoga I have a lot of live audo expierence and could use small income thanks for any response. Interested in property management also thanks.

rockydog85251

Apr 17, 2015, 6:14 PM

Post #2 of 13 (4264 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mrcool] Moving ?

Have you considered the west coast? Think Mazatlan.......lots of restaurants, entertainment, ex-pat community, beautiful location, lots of things to see and do...and not nearly as hot as Merida, even though the summers can be "toasty".
Willie

richmx2

Apr 17, 2015, 11:13 PM

Post #3 of 13 (4239 views)

Shortcut

Forget working as musicians and yoga teachers... legally anyway. Yeah, I suppose there is sometimes a market for those services among gringos, but there are good musicians on every street corner in this country (and they have a union too) and unless your wife is fluent in Spanish, how much work she's going to find teaching yoga in a resort town other than a few gringos doesn't sound like a well-thought out plan to me.

You do need permission to work here, by the way.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

Mrcool

Apr 18, 2015, 6:34 AM

Post #4 of 13 (4212 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Moving ?

Yes thanks for replies we have thought this out for a while as well as ongoing research like this forum any input is appreciated my wife and I believe we would be an asset for any community we moved to we are "good people" and look forward to meeting others thanks again

rvgringo

Apr 18, 2015, 10:10 AM

Post #5 of 13 (4171 views)

Shortcut

You will need visas, applied for at your nearest Mexican COnsulate, and there are financial requirements to meet and prove. Otherwise, you will have to use a tourist permit, which is only good for 180 days. You may not work in Mexico without a ‘lucrativa‘ endorsement on your visas, good for a specific job/location. If you can qualify for Residente Permanente, you are allowed to work, but still must notify immigration authorities of that, as well as changes of address.
Most expats do not live on the coasts, but further inland and at higher elevations, due to the extremely hot and humid summers on the coasts.
You may drive your temporarily imported car and trailer, but neither may be sold in Mexico and they must enter and exit together. This applies to tourists permits and residente temporal visas only. Residente permanente may not drive or own foreign plated cars.

Mrcool

Apr 18, 2015, 12:28 PM

Post #6 of 13 (4157 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Moving ?

Great fantastic info we are just looking to live a better more fulfilling life Mexico looks good just checking on details. Any more opinions or details suggestions appreciated.

rvgringo

Apr 18, 2015, 1:38 PM

Post #7 of 13 (4148 views)

Shortcut

An afterthought: Resort areas are going to be much more expensive than other cities. They cater to US, Canadian and European tourists and know how to maximize their profits. In non-tourist towns and cities, you are generally able to buy at local market prices. There are exceptions, like Ajijic, which is a bit more expensive than surrounding areas like Chapala, Jocotopec or Guadalajara.

Gringal

Apr 18, 2015, 2:34 PM

Post #8 of 13 (4142 views)

Shortcut

I'm sorry to have to be discouraging, but the prospect of making any kind of a living from music or yoga instruction, even if you could get permission to work in those areas, is somewhere near zero. Many sad stories from those who have tried, have been posted on these forums along the way.

The bitter truth is that those who wish to move to Mexico permanently need to have a regular income from either their own pre-existing financial resources (a trust fund is useful) or a pension income from some source.

Those who come here with at least the means to survive and who attempt to make some additional income from the arts quickly find that Mexican artists (and they are very good) sell their work for so much less that what may have been a "living" back in the States is now an avocation with an occasional sale for 25% of what could be sold North of the Border, or NOB as usually referred to here. Same thing with musicians, and probably yoga instructors.

Keep doing that research. It's not as simple as it was long, long ago. Mexico is making things much harder for immigrants.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Apr 18, 2015, 2:35 PM)

Mrcool

Apr 18, 2015, 5:25 PM

Post #9 of 13 (4121 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Moving ?

Yeah no problem, yes we know that pay is much less in Mexico and we do have some savings to help us get by , just wouldn't hurt to make some additional income we are open to any small opportunity for employment if nothing else to keep us from going stir crazy we have been in the nightclub business for over 20 years as entertainers and owners and have history in the hospitality industry are nightclub is wild country in collinsville Illinois see wildcountrynightclub .com it is large 1800 capacity family owned it's been fun but might want a change of scenery thanks again and the info is very helpful.

drope

Apr 20, 2015, 9:50 AM

Post #10 of 13 (4002 views)

Shortcut

if you have enough money to open another nightclub,fine,but the rest of your dream is just that,especially the yoga teaching.
fegetaboutit and that's reality.

rvgringo

Apr 20, 2015, 10:26 AM

Post #11 of 13 (3994 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drope] Moving ?

And then......protection money, which can be a problem for even the most respectable business.

Aaron+

Apr 20, 2015, 10:39 AM

Post #12 of 13 (3993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drope] Moving ?

Drope referred to your possibly opening a night club in Mexico, though the OP did not. Such an operation means that you will wind up paying "derecho de piso" extortion to whichever local cartel is dominant, as well as obligatory payoffs to local politicians (even for perfectly legal operation) and an expat getting a license to sell beer or liquor..., oh well, you get the picture...

Mrcool

Apr 20, 2015, 4:08 PM

Post #13 of 13 (3939 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Moving ?

No,that last thing I want to do is open a nightclub simply thought my expierence could be useful in a high tourist area any more helpful advice ?

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4