Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

kmetzger

Apr 7, 2015, 7:02 PM

Post #1 of 5 (8728 views)

Shortcut

Cell phone question

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have a shocking admission to make: I'm an old coot and I've never used a cell phone because I've never had a reason to have one. But now that my US bank account was closed because of FATCA and I opened a Mexican bank account, I suddenly have a reason to buy one. I'll need one, for example, if I want to transfer money from my bank account to PayPal. I won't be needing one for any other reason, so my question is what is the cheapest way to go? My phone company and computer service provider is Telmex.
Kim

playaboy

Apr 8, 2015, 4:37 AM

Post #2 of 5 (8713 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kmetzger] Cell phone question

TelCel Amigo service, it is a pay as you go plan. No contracts.

johanson / Moderator

Apr 8, 2015, 6:08 AM

Post #3 of 5 (8707 views)

Shortcut

Can't you just use a computer? What is it that you need a cell phone for that you just wouldn't do on your computer?
PS I wish you luck learning how to use your smart cell phone. I say that not as a joke but seriously. It's a whole new experience. Seriously, good luck.
Maybe once we know what you need to do on your cell phone, maybe we would be able to recommend a brand of cell phone you might want to consider.

kmetzger

Apr 8, 2015, 6:15 AM

Post #4 of 5 (8705 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Cell phone question

Paypal says:

Have you registered PayPal with your bank?
Your bank requires that you register PayPal with them before you send an online bank transfer (SPEI). You will need the following information to complete the registration on your bank's website:
Company's Name:
PAYPAL PTE LTD What's this?PAYPAL PTE LTD is the legal name under which PayPal operates in Mexico.
PayPal Bank Name:
Bank of America S.A. (BAMSA)
CLABE:
Type:
Legal entity
  1. Look for the section Transfers to other banks in your online bank account.
  2. Enter 218HA9T54DEYVY6 into the field called Payment concept.
  3. Enter 0289 into the field called Numeric reference.

Bancomer says: Hemos identificado que no cuentas con un Dispositivo de Seguridad (Token)
Si deseas tener todos los beneficios que tenemos para tí, cómo:
  • ✓Transferir a terceros y otros bancos
  • ✓Consultar tus estados de cuenta
  • ✓Pagar servicios

Es necesario que actives el servicio de Alertas Bancomer al celular desde cualquier Cajero Automatico Bancomer, para recibir vía SMS las notificaciones de tus operaciones bancarias y puedas obtener tu Dispositivo de Seguridad (Token Físico o Móvil).
Google translate: You need to activate Bancomer Alerts service to the cell from any ATM Machine Bancomer to receive SMS notifications from your bank, and you can get your Security Device

johanson / Moderator

Apr 8, 2015, 10:10 AM

Post #5 of 5 (8688 views)

Shortcut

Lets talk cellphone carriers first. Almost everyone I know, myself included, uses Telcel. Yes there are other carriers which might cost less, but I went with Telcel because all my friends had Telcel. The Plan Amigo mentioned above is a pay as you go plan, and should I not make many phone calls I will only need to pay 100 pesos per two month period. Now I pay a little more, because I surf the net etc, etc I use about 98 centavos per minute when making a call to another Telcel phone.
I don't remember how much per minute I pay when phoning a landline.
If I understood you, you do most everything on your computer but then perhaps when you are at the ATM you need to be able to receive an SMS notification or message from your bank over your cellphone to get something perhaps a password to enter into the ATM.
So if I understood you a very small cellphone that costs almost nothing would have too small a screen for you to read the SMS message. And of course a big and beautiful iPhone 6 or Samsung would be overkill.
What would be best? I don't know but perhaps the cheapest brand you could find with a large enough screen to easily read the message you would be receiving. Perhaps some else reading this could give you a suggestion. Sorry I could not be helpful. Again, good luck :)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4