Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Gringal

Apr 4, 2015, 12:34 PM

Post #26 of 33 (5500 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Forums

Can't Post | Private Reply
I wasn't referring to this forum. Some others have a different definition of "civilized". In one case, anyone disagreeing with the opinions of certain moderators gets slammed. IMO, this forum is very fairly moderated.

tonyburton

Apr 4, 2015, 1:33 PM

Post #27 of 33 (5487 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Forums

On behalf of all moderators, El Webjefe David and I especially like the term "fairly."
Happy Easter - to see our amazing range of articles compiled over the years and all relating to Easter in Mexico, try
the MexConnect Guide to Easter in Mexico
Enjoy!

richmx2

Apr 4, 2015, 3:15 PM

Post #28 of 33 (5472 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Forums

In both senses of the word "fairly".

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

Gringal

Apr 4, 2015, 3:39 PM

Post #29 of 33 (5469 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Forums

The meaning is "fairly" clear that "very fairly" means that the mods are "fair" on here.
lol.
Who's on first?

chinagringo

Apr 4, 2015, 6:50 PM

Post #30 of 33 (5440 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kathleengam] Forums

I don't think there is any question that the makeup of forum members has changed in the 10 or so years that I have been following MexConnect. But then again, the demands or expectations of the forum members has also changed. Back in the "good old days", members had a low tolerance for those who didn't do their homework prior to asking questions. Now in the age of expected instant gratification, the questions are asked with little or no research.

From a personal standpoint, we have always used this forum and others to glean information on various areas of Mexico. But it seems that there is far less info being put forth on a voluntary basis and the info only flows when questions are being asked. If one follows TripAdvisor at all, most interest in Mexico appears to be for what we call the Gringo Resort Areas which we personally don't happen to care for. On the other hand, some positive indicators are that we are getting fairly high readership of reviews on TripAdvisor (140,000+ views) and extremely high views (1,000,000+) of our photos albums that are quite concentrated on Central and some of Southern Mexico. So the interest appears to be there!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

sioux4noff

Apr 5, 2015, 8:29 PM

Post #31 of 33 (5372 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Forums

Maybe we need Specific Focus: Whining about Mexico.

Or maybe we need a "Grumpy folks who have lived in Mexico for years and lack tolerance for newbies" forum :)

playaboy

Apr 6, 2015, 6:08 AM

Post #32 of 33 (5345 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Forums

In Reply To

Maybe we need Specific Focus: Whining about Mexico.

Or maybe we need a "Grumpy folks who have lived in Mexico for years and lack tolerance for newbies" forum :)

I see "Grumpy" longtime forum posters as the major problem. Newbies are usually warmly welcomed and then treated like crap on most forums. They ask simple naive questions and usually get slammed at least a couple of times by the keyboard warriors.

They are not part of the clique.

Gringal

Apr 6, 2015, 6:26 AM

Post #33 of 33 (5345 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Forums

Often and unfortunately true. One of the problems comes from the difficulty of sorting trolls from newbies. It's annoying to fall into a "trolltrap"; usually someone who's been banned sliding in the back door with a new identity, rubbing their little hands together and eager to cause a kerfuffle.

Assuming us old hands keep our b.s. detectors polished and at the ready, we can do the sorting, and we should always be kind to newbies. They are the lifeblood of forums. We ourselves were there once; confused in traffic, usually Spanglish-impaired and generally clueless. I remember my first week in Mexico only too well. Oy. Sites like Rolly's often saved us from ourselves.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4